Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Something is going on at Nexon HQ from news

Comments

• Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,660
    Nevermind, not our Nexon. Will see if I can find something from NXC this time.

Massive Multiplayer Online (MMO) Games Market Size, Share, Application Analysis, Regional Outlook, Growth Trends, Key Players, Competitive Strategies and Forecasts to 2024
    Article

Why a subscription based 5 year outlook?

No idea. Must be another site that fools companies into thinking they're viable for more than kissing rear ends.
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    Nevermind, not our Nexon. Will see if I can find something from NXC this time.

Massive Multiplayer Online (MMO) Games Market Size, Share, Application Analysis, Regional Outlook, Growth Trends, Key Players, Competitive Strategies and Forecasts to 2024
    Article

Why a subscription based 5 year outlook?

No idea. Must be another site that fools companies into thinking they're viable for more than kissing rear ends.

I mean, yes, most proper reports and academic journals are subscription based, but that link provides very little description of the content. Even the opinion the writer makes is veiled. Pretty much saying, go buy it and read it yourself. There's nothing included that will make someone want to read it.
    Darkpixie99
    Let's see if overseas based companies will take a hit overnight like American companies.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/05/video-game-stocks-slide-after-trump-implicates-games-in-mass-shootings.html
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    Helsa wrote: »

ANOTHER restructure? Didn't they just have one last year? We lost a couple people including Mohawkguy. The way that person is wording this is scaring the bleep out of me. It's like tactful and very very careful, but the underlying notes are there. They keep shrinking the teams...

This is not good.
    Darkpixie99
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    Nani?
    Well that explains some of this lackluster year. Now let's see how earnings are in a few days for Q2 and we can brace for what's to come.
    As I expected, Disney overspent the past year to date and maybe even further.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/06/disney-fiscal-q3-2019-earnings.html

That should back up my hypothesis of their rejection of the sale offer of Nexon.
    Darkpixie99
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    edited August 6, 2019
    Forget about the Nexon sale. Lets talk about the 2 "restructures" we had in the last year and a half, games shutting down, games projects cancelled, developers jumping ship. I'm sorry not sorry, but there are some FUD words we are not allowed to use around here, but right now they seem pretty damn appropriate. :|

So should we all quit now or...? Because with all that linkedin post, I am contemplating complete liquidation.
    Crims wrote: »
    Forget about the Nexon sale. Lets talk about the 2 "restructures" we had in the last year and a half, games shutting down, games projects cancelled, developers jumping ship. I'm sorry not sorry, but there are some FUD words we are not allowed to use around here, but right now they seem pretty damn appropriate. :|

So should we all quit now or...? Because with all that linkedin post, I am contemplating complete liquidation.

Which is why I suggest to read the 2nd Quarterly report when it comes out at the end of the week. If things and numbers don't bode well for Mabi in NA, we may have to prepare for the eventual worst. But I'd say don't be hasty and wait to see how the rest of the year goes.

Video games aren't the only industry that is expected to take hits, every industry is, the potential fear of what many indicators have been signalling for over a year, recession.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    edited August 6, 2019
    Release VIP now! WE CAN HELP BOOST THOSE NUMBERS UP NEXON. Jesus bleeping christ. We're not dumb! We see whats going on. I'VE BEEN THROUGH "RESTRUCTURES". Don't give me that bs, I know whats going down here. They are shaving down your workforce and before you know it there won't be enough left of you to do anything about it!! Companies do this on purpose over the course of a few years before they do the thing we are not allowed to talk about on here!

They do this so you won't become suspicious before it finally happens. But even if you ask your higher ups, they will lie to you about it. They will say everything is fine when it's not.

:(

Ummm...guys...this was just sent to me.

ff60313e97.png

I am bleeping bricks now.

giphy.gif

Brace for impact.
    SebastianWolfsinger
  • SebastianSebastian
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,870

Ummm...guys...this was just sent to me.

[Image]

Jesus... gonna miss them a lot.
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    edited August 6, 2019
    Seriously????? NO! WHY THEM?????
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Greta wrote: »

I think we're gonna need a private thread for this. Because there are things I want to say that will get deleted. Anyone up for one?
    SebastianSherriWolfsinger
  • AlshianAlshian
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,065

I think we're gonna need a private thread for this. Because there are things I want to say that will get deleted. Anyone up for one?

Go ahead pick your poison :B

Meanwhile I still await VIP update to be worth my money...
    Darkpixie99
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615

Count me in. I'm also really sad that this happened. Especially since I've had family been laid off before, it's just devastating for anyone to go through this bs.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Sherri wrote: »

Count me in. I'm also really sad that this happened. Especially since I've had family been laid off before, it's just devastating for anyone to go through this bs.

Aye. Last year was especially bs, and this year takes the bloody cake!
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    edited August 7, 2019
    Amy and Lindsey, our hearts go out to you! Persevere!!!
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    this year takes the bloody cake!

The CRIMSON cake! :)

In my opinion from a business standpoint, from what the post says and what has happened over the past couple months, it could have to do with the loss of Rocket Arena, which was expected to be a big revenue source after Q1 earnings being lost to another company to service.

Perhaps, also the failure of the sale of NXC is forcing Nexon to make some cuts in areas that are not doing as well. Along with all the disputes on trade and continuing growth of recession indicators around the world, one would expect that investment, not only in Nexon but other gaming companies to be decreasing.

I think Disney's rejection, Tencent dropping out of the bid, Netmarble lowballing, no real draw to the auction were all indicators that the industry is preparing to bunker in.

Then we have the political situation with gachas around the world, and somehow the growing sentiment that gachas are a bad thing.

Unfortunately, when companies need to go on the defensive, employees are the first ones to be sacrificed because employees, unfortunately, in the US are quite costly.

Perhaps, also Nexon may be more focused on the mobile game industry instead of continuing to run computer based MMORPGS, especially when it appears that an older game like Mabi is running out of ideas to grow or keep the player base. Perhaps the costs to improve are also too high. Of course, we won't really know their business standpoint.

However, I believe when they release their earnings, they have public conference calls that anyone can call in. Of course, for those who know Japanese, English, and Korean and stay up late can always try to access them when they do the report.

I'm not expecting Mabi to collapse just yet, but I'm expecting everything to be on the defensive for maybe a while.