Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Please merge Alexina and Nao

Comments

• HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    Of course it lagged, everyone moved to one map on one channel; is this really a surprise? Notice how the same happened on Alexina and there was no lag; they actually got to kill the donut. So much for the idea that the two servers are equivalent.
    Darkpixie99
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,660
    Helsa wrote: »
    Of course it lagged, everyone moved to one map on one channel; is this really a surprise? Notice how the same happened on Alexina and there was no lag; they actually got to kill the donut. So much for the idea that the two servers are equivalent.

Some obvious bug fixing tweaks need to be made to Nao for any future gathering events that's for sure.
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745

Some obvious bug fixing tweaks need to be made to Nao for any future gathering events that's for sure.

Like forming a line outside the venue.
    Darkpixie99
  • HelsaHelsa

That it lagged is not actually a bug. It's annoying but it can't be helped. They can either:
    1) improve the hardware of the server (my guess is it's already the best it can be),
    2) redefinite the log-in limit to a lower number (that will lead to un-ending kvetching),
    3) have the GM's each go to a different map to split the load,
    4) SIUP.
    Darkpixie99
  • SqueeSquee
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,565
    I don't get why this is an issue... The biggest thing I see in this as the reason for needing to merge the servers is the decreased player base. But honestly, that's more an issue with the game itself not keeping it's players, not needing to merge the servers. Honestly, I think merging the servers is just going to delay the inevitable. This game is running out of steam and the players are going to find better games.

As for the lag, won't the lag get worse if the servers are merged? Twice as many people on one server is gonna kill the game. I lag hard enough already at random times, I can't imagine how bad that lag will be with more people connected to one server.

Forgive me for being ignorant, I wasn't around during the other server merge, and honestly my knowledge is a little outdated still after coming back to the game.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Squee wrote: »
    I don't get why this is an issue... The biggest thing I see in this as the reason for needing to merge the servers is the decreased player base. But honestly, that's more an issue with the game itself not keeping it's players, not needing to merge the servers. Honestly, I think merging the servers is just going to delay the inevitable. This game is running out of steam and the players are going to find better games.

As for the lag, won't the lag get worse if the servers are merged? Twice as many people on one server is gonna kill the game. I lag hard enough already at random times, I can't imagine how bad that lag will be with more people connected to one server.

Forgive me for being ignorant, I wasn't around during the other server merge, and honestly my knowledge is a little outdated still after coming back to the game.

That Alexina and Nao are called "servers" is a misnomer. They are actually partitions of the Mabinogi NA database cluster. The Mabinogi NA database is actually spread over, at least, 17 actual servers. Each of the channels on Alexina and Nao, are actual servers, as in single computers configured so. This is why some channels can be laggy and others not.
  • HabimaruHabimaru
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,630
    edited November 8, 2019
    All on-line games, no matter how good/great/popular, will always have a certain/limited life-span and attrition-rate (and the «attrition» has always been very high for every single on-line game that has ever gotten released). For that to be mitigated, you will want two things, particularly:

→ Constant/Continuous Advertising
    → Make the Game as Absolutely FUN (and Interesting) as Possible For Everyone in Order to Achieve its HIGHEST Retention-Rate

I would put both of those aspects at pretty much equal importance. Sure, you could sell low-quality mass-produced goods at cheap and still get lots of customers, like McDonald's did (and does), but the «on-line» market/environment is FAR more «competitive» than brick-and-mortar food-vending since everyone needs to eat. Not only did they advertise a lot, and continue to advertise, a LOT, but, they also expanded in order to reach more market, and get more customers, and they're literally able to use «Over 99 Billion Served» as earned ammunition to further promote their advertising campaigns.

Now for the second point...

Making the Game as Absolutely FUN and Interesting as Possible : Personally, I think that one of the main reasons why Mabi had ended up losing such a significant number/percentage of its player-base has to do with the fact that it's become so «solo-oriented» ever since not too many short years ago, such to the point where you will actually get multiple results for the «Solonogi» search-term. There also used to be a time when battles actually required some semblance of timing and strategy, but, now, combat is a lot more like «button-mashing» in order to rush through missions/dungeons (and as non-end-gamers can attest to : joining a run and being all like «So much for me even having to do anything» as someone else or everyone else clears three or four whole entire rooms by the time you're done trying to load your cylinder or charge a magic-spell).

What makes for FUN ? Amusing Experiences.

What makes for INTERESTING ? Trying out something new.

Back when Clandestine-MUD used to exist, for a TEXT-based game, it was a LOT of FUN and Interesting. Contrary to what that out-of-date description page reads, at the peak of its existence, the active player-base eventually numbered over 200 simultaneously on-line at a time, when most MUDs at that time were considered to be good/popular even at only 40 active players. Now I am going to describe and tell you EXACTLY WHY it was FUN and INTERESTING, such to the point where a number of people chose to play on the FREE Text-Based MUD rather than any Graphical-MMORPG that they may have been subscribed to, even though they were literally actually paying $$$ for their subscriptions (similarly to how VIP-Service is a Subscription).

This next part is IMPORTANT so PLEASE PAY ATTENTION !

The coders at the former-existing Clandestine MUD were always hard-at-work every week, always listening to player feed-back-and-suggestions, even implementing new ideas that people came up with (and they even coded a LOT of the «ideas» that I had written up into the Ideas-Section of the Message-Board), and some of their Staff-Members were even complimenting me on how much FUN it was to use the «new skill» (based on my idea) that they coded into the game, testing and playing it on their non-GM mortal-characters. The MUD ALWAYS had something «NEW and FRESH» for us to try out what seemed like every week, and, when combining a lot of these things together, also made for some very interesting experiences of trying out new skill-and/or-spell-combinations. Yes, this resulted in literally hundreds of different spells and skills, something which might probably be too much for Mabinogi, BUT, the DevCAT-developers can still implement slowly something like «skill-tiers» each week, one «out-of-date» skill at a time, per week, that allows the «older skill-sets» to actually become relevant again (yes, yes, I know, I know, future updates will introduce new Ego-system, make outdated skills more relevant, etc.; but why only «re-balance» the game through massive system-overhauls through periodic generation-updates ?).

If that next-Generation release didn't already have all of that stuff with the new Spirit-Weapon System, a way to implement a new-and-interesting update each week would be to just pick some random skill (or even non-randomly) that needs to be balanced (and I'm not talking about tossing in a «reforge» system), and, similar to the Dan-system, put in some extra-tier enhancements to the skill itself, for example, such as for Fire-Bolt. I use it as an example considering how slow (and even weak for that matter) that magic tends to be compared someone just AoE-OHKO-ing everything in a near-instant with Chain-Sweep. There is already something similar for the Crusader-Skills, but, such as with Fire-Bolt (my example), and, also, similarly to the «Manage» button from Nascent-Divinity, the Milletian could imbue an Enhancement-Tier into the Fire-Bolt skill itself, such as a few of my ideas as follows...:

When the Following Tier-Skills Are Imbued Into Fire-Bolt:

Fire-Splash: When Fire-Bolt hits a Target, it will do Splash-Damage to nearby-surrounding enemies, also knocking them down...
    Fire-Fury: When launching the Fire-Bolt spell, Fire-Bolt will be cast three (3x) times immediately in rapid-succession at the same amount of charges, one right after another, rather than only once.

Details before I describe another one of my Tier-Skills ideas that I might also put this in for the above IF I thought Magic was already Balanced, for which I do not believe the Talent-Sets are balanced right now, but are currently much more highly in favour of the Chain-Blade Skill-Set; Anyway... Fire-Fury : Triple-Casts Fire-Bolt at the cost of consuming some extra mana upon being launched when this Skill-Tier is Active. Okay, so, say you decided to Full-Charge Fire-Bolt via Snap-Cast, when launching the spell with Fire-Fury toggled ON, will launch Fire-Bolt three (3x) times in a row, all three (3) at full-charge, and consumes an additional 30 mana (or the rest of your remaining mana) upon the initial launch. Lower charges means less mana-consumption, so if it's only three (3) charges, then it would only consume 18 mana (or the rest of your remaining mana) upon the initial launch when the Fire-Fury Skill-Tier is Toggled ON.

Fire-Burn: Upon hitting a target, sets the area of impact on fire for a set duration of time, depending on the Tier-Rank of Fire-Burn (higher rank means longer burn-time), causing fire-damage to enemies that remain or step into the area (this would work similarly to the Alchemist's Hydra-skill).

Fire-Scorch: Target becomes burned by Scorch and slows their movement (similar to Mirage-Missile Effect).

Fire-Blaze: This should be a lot of fun. After being knocked back, creates a «Blaze» explosion (literally the same explosion from the literal Blaze-skill) at the end of the knock-back, at the location of the end of the knock-back. For enemies who cannot be knocked back, due to Magic-Stander or equivalent, the Blaze-Explosion takes effect immediately upon being hit with the Fire-Bolt.

Were the Developers to gradually implement maybe ONE of these things at a time, per week (or even bi-weekly), with constant new minor-updates (something new for Milletians to try out), such as Fire-Splash on one week, Fire-Fury the next week (or week there-after), Fire-Burn the following week (or week thereafter), etc., etc., that would certainly be a step in the right direction towards the player-retention and even player-return-rate. The only other thing that I would consider needing to be seriously addressed is the «Balance» of missions/dungeons and having the skill-sets work in such a way that make «team-work» to clear missions/dungeons FUN.

I have LOTS of other ideas, related to pretty much nearly every skill and skill-set, but, alas, I already have other obligations and someone who needs my help in getting his business-work done later this evening, thus I am not free/available to work as part of a «Balance-Team» on/for any gaming company at this time of my life, BUT, from the «quality» of what I have posted here, you should be able to «see» that I am most-certainly MORE-than-qualified to fulfill such a role to bring more «life» into any game whose developers might choose to implement some of my ideas and strategies (and I'm really not trying to «toot my horn» here or anything... I really just think/believe/know that it would simply be for the «good» of the Mabinogi... whatever that word is that I'm looking for, anyway, I'd say for the good of Mabinogi... yeah, that was the phrase I must have been looking for, I think : good for the life of the game...).

There's actually one more thing I'd like to mention before finishing this post... I remember a time, perhaps as a «joke» by the game-staff over on Clandestine-MUD (when it used to exist), when they unleashed a gigantic «field-monster» into the game called «Barney the Purple Dinosaur» with BILLIONS of HP, and it going on a rampage, randomly roaming around from one place to another, kind of like a massive Barnzilla...
    Evil_Barney.jpg
    Obviously there were a bunch of «What in the~!?» reactions from the player-base, but we had fun with this field-boss, and, even with all of the absolute strongest players coming together in order to try and take this creature down, I think it must have still taken us probably over three earth-world hours to finally defeat it if I remember correctly, and of course it must have given like millions or possibly even billions or trillions of experience-points to the participants (and other possible rare prizes). Even though we all kept on dying to it, over and, over, it was still a lot of fun and interesting to experience. Anyway, have a nice day, everyone !
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    You write too much unnecessary stuff...
    DraechVeylaineSherri
    Greta wrote: »

Or have too much free time.
  • HabimaruHabimaru
    And I am also capable of typing 120+ WPM on a good day. The word/phrase I was looking for earlier is : Health of the Game

Habimaru wrote: »
    And I am also capable of typing 120+ WPM on a good day. The word/phrase I was looking for earlier is : Health of the Game

Is today one of the good days?
  • HabimaruHabimaru
    Partly, but not all, and, too much free time seems a little ironic, coming from those who've posted 5000+ and even 6000+ times thus far. Anyway, I made mention of what I needed to, for what I believe would be for the good of the health of Mabinogi, rather than mere server-merging; heal the source-factors, not bandage the symptom.

Kensamaofmari
    Partly, but not all, and, too much free time seems a little ironic, coming from those who've posted 5000+ and even 6000+ times thus far. Anyway, I made mention of what I needed to, for what I believe would be for the good of the health of Mabinogi, rather than mere server-merging; heal the source-factors, not bandage the symptom.

I end up with more free time than I should. It's not a good thing.
  • HelsaHelsa

Ah, just admire the effort they put in.
  • THICCthighssavelivesTHICCthighssavelives
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,855
    The MUD ALWAYS had something «NEW and FRESH» for us to try out what seemed like every week [...] but why only «re-balance» [Mabinogi] through massive system-overhauls through periodic generation-updates?

MUDs are just easier to update, being all text and generally smaller-scale than graphical mmorpgs. That said, Mabi is slow to update compared to other MMOs, probably because it's very old.

When the Following Tier-Skills Are Imbued Into Fire-Bolt:
    Fire-Splash:
    Fire-Fury:
    Fire-Burn:
    Fire-Scorch:
    Fire-Blaze:

Your proposed firebolt changes incorporate effects of other skills into firebolt. Hey, instead of merging servers why not merge skills :D ?? Let's just merge all the different fire spells into a single "Fire" skill. Just like cooking grants different cooking techniques as your rank, the fire skill can grant different fire magic abilities as you progress through the skill. You can even mix and match the fire abilities to create the right fire spell for the situation.

Rank F: firebolt
    Rank C: ability to charge up the fire spell
    Rank A: add optional splash damage
    Rank 8: add optional remaining fire damage area effect
    Rank 6: add optional blaze-like secondary explosion
    Rank 3: ?
    Rank 1: ?
  • AmarazAmaraz
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,735
    Amaraz wrote: »
    Lots of people agree, this merge should happen just like Nao happened.

I thought Alexina was mostly dead.

Most Nao players I talk to would rather let Alexina fade into obscurity.

Different friend groups will have different opinions. I on the other hand can confirm the vast majority of my friends would like to see it merge still.
  • LuffiyLuffiy
    Mabinogi Rep: 590
    If they do merge, Nao should get priority on names. We've already fought for them twice now... when the game released and when we merged with other servers. I don't think it's fair to do it again.
  • HabimaruHabimaru
    ...what would happen if they just decided to create a brand new server altogether ?
    (i.e.: Everybody there starts out fresh at Levels 1s & everything is still Novice-Ranked & nobody is strong enough to solo anything yet ?)
    Luffiy wrote: »
    If they do merge, Nao should get priority on names. We've already fought for them twice now... when the game released and when we merged with other servers. I don't think it's fair to do it again.
  • LuffiyLuffiy
    Mabinogi Rep: 590
    ...what would happen if they just decided to create a brand new server altogether ?
    (i.e.: Everybody there starts out fresh at Levels 1s & everything is still Novice-Ranked & nobody is strong enough to solo anything yet ?)
    Luffiy wrote: »

I'm pretty sure everyone would quit. This isn't WoW.