Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

SIGH...

CrimsọnCrimsọn
Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
edited February 14, 2020 in General Chat
The damn channels keep crashing and rebooting again. DO YOU WANT TO BE BURIED IN TICKETS NEXON???
Helsa

Comments

• HarukariHarukari
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,470
    This is why I haven't been bothering with events, except for logging in for the puzzle pieces.
    Seems like they aren't ever gonna address the channel crashes.
  • LutetiumLutetium
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,605
    It wouldn't matter if Nexon was hosting the game themselves or had it on Amazon EC2, the server code is just bad and people using CAKE prodding at it making it crash so they can rollback to dupe gacha doesn't help.
    Liberate
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    edited February 14, 2020
    Yeah I heard the rumors. "Cake" breaking the servers again. I felt like I caused a server restart because I kept logging in too much. Coincidental I know but I was on ch7 at the time and kept logging in and out because of paranoia. I do not want to lose any of my equips and then encounter some policy brown-noser (which will make me explode on them btw sorry) saying that my precious EXPENSIVE equip can not be replaced or WARNED that in the future they may not be able to replace it DESPITE their incompetence or transparency in these recent matters.

It makes me not want to login and SUPPORT the game. I have outright logged out and can't complete part 2 because of all of the UNPLAYABLE bs going on. :|

ADDRESS IT NEXON. This isn't even a joke anymore.
    Helsa
  • SaiSai
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,785
    If this is true, they are most likely logging activity.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    edited February 14, 2020
    Sai wrote: »
    If this is true, they are most likely logging activity.

Hopefully.

For the record, I am not against modding. But when you break the game and cause disruptions for everyone else THEN it becomes a problem.

But then again you HAVE to wonder what kind of CHEAP servers we were transferred to during last summer. :|

Bleep your "cloud". WE DIDN'T HAVE PROBLEMS LIKE THESE FOR AGES!!! :angry:

What the BLEEP is different now? WHAT THE BLEEP did amazon change???
    Helsa
  • LutetiumLutetium
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,605
    Crims wrote: »
    But then again you HAVE to wonder what kind of CHEAP servers we were transferred to during last summer. :|

Cheap only in the sense it costs Nexon less, the Amazon virtual machines perform significantly better than the 2 decade old trash Nexon was using inhouse and paying outrageous Cali-tax on rack space, but again you have to understand these problems are server code quality not the server "hardware", blaming "the cloud" isn't productive because it isn't the problem it's spaghetti patches to the spaghetti server combined with the spaghetti KR test script used to do a spaghetti merge to appease everyone from Alexina who's been crying for it for a decade just to spaghetti that and make them even angrier by not merging them too incase the whole thing went parus majors-up and they needed one working server to tell everyone from the other 3 to make new characters on.

Blaming the Amazon EC2 virtual machines for Devcat's spaghetti code is like blaming modern day Caucasians in America for massacring my ancestors and enslaving Africans even though they weren't even alive (a service) 200+ years ago when it happened (the spaghetti code was written by two 17 y/o guys in Korea with half a gallon of Soju in their stomachs and the dream of making their first videogame).
    Liberate
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    Dam, so much aggression...
  • HabimaruHabimaru
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,630
    Be that as it may, I'd still like to try to get more specific about what the problem-code is, and it seems most-likely to me some sort of vulnerability to what was historically known on the «IRC»
    (Internet Relay Chat)
    version of servers as flooding. Although I do not involve myself with testing, coding, defending against
    hackers (or
    so-called script-kiddies) these days, much of the techniques of the past should still apply to present-day.

Back in that version, when script-abusers were intentionally using whatever tools that they were using in order to get everybody kicked off of a server
    (not trying to encourage anybody to find/use any form of ICMP-bombing tool)
    , I coded a type of script that would ignore all for a few seconds any time I received too many texts from any source in too short of a time-frame; it apparently worked (the reason I went with «/ignore *.*» for part of my anti-flooding script was because they got really crafty and pretty cocky about being able to get anybody kicked off; even going so far as to max-message-length spam my server-connected account with literally hundreds of different accounts that consisted of hundreds of different IP-addresses; they ended up doing that because the original version that I deflected was from only one or a handful of base IP-addresses).

I do know about the existence of CAKE (and something else called PAKE unless that was just a Mandela-effect name-change), and, like Crims
    (woah, had to correct the spelling there, and had not been paying attention to how it is so close to the spelling of crimes)
    , I don't really care what other people do with their things/systems/scripts, for as long as they're not wasting others' time or intentionally doing things that interfere with with others' progress/virtual-lives, like what seems to be (probably) happening based on the complaints/descriptions others are making about it
    (I haven't been able to see/witness/experience it personally due to not having had any time to log in until pretty much within the last half-hour for which I'm not going to do anything heavy either since it's late over at my current time-zone and I'll be going to sleep soon-ish)

The cause of crashes to servers, when players know how to trigger them intentionally (IF that is indeed the case;
    I do not want to go down the way of treating others as guilty until proven innocent so I'll try to avoid making any assumptions)
    , how-ever, are not necessarily so easy for the coders/programmers/developers to spot, but we do know from history that past intentional-crashes were related to pet-inventories being accessible whilst opening a bank-window (thus the reason why you cannot view your pet-inventories whilst using your bank for those of you who have always wondered why). For as far as a «fix» goes, were I to direct the coding/programming, although this might be better described as a redundancy measure or back-up plan or otherwise rather than a fix to the root-cause, I might have them create yet an additional data-base that is similar to the «Temporary Items/Inventory Window» (that window that shows up when you already have a full inventory and no more room for up to the next 20 or so items), but tracked/recorded in the back-ground (not necessarily visible to players/Milletians), serving the purpose of being something like a transaction-record of what a character pulled out of which pet (and when) being saved on the server before the item is flagged as having been removed from the pet-inventory into the mouse-cursor of who-ever is grabbing said object.

Might even make it easier to pin-point the cause of the crashes (which I really do believe has something to do with latency triggering)... whether being done intentionally, unintentionally, inadvertently, or just some random fluke of incompatible coding interfering with each other in some way.
    Lutetium wrote: »

Cheap only in the sense it costs Nexon less, the Amazon virtual machines perform significantly better than the 2 decade old trash Nexon was using inhouse and paying outrageous Cali-tax on rack space, but again you have to understand these problems are server code quality not the server "hardware", blaming "the cloud" isn't productive because it isn't the problem it's spaghetti patches to the spaghetti server combined with the spaghetti KR test script used to do a spaghetti merge to appease everyone from Alexina who's been crying for it for a decade just to spaghetti that and make them even angrier by not merging them too incase the whole thing went parus majors-up and they needed one working server to tell everyone from the other 3 to make new characters on.
    Blaming the Amazon EC2 virtual machines for Devcat's spaghetti code is like blaming modern day Caucasians in America for massacring my ancestors and enslaving Africans even though they weren't even alive (a service) 200+ years ago when it happened (the spaghetti code was written by two 17 y/o guys in Korea with half a gallon of Soju in their stomachs and the dream of making their first videogame).
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    At this point, they have to be aware of it. If it can be fixed it'll be fixed. This isn't like being on the phone with some tech support agent who is just looking stuff up in Google.
  • PolicromaPolicroma
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,730
    I hate to say it, but the fact that people are crashing the game purposely after measures intended to block money laundering, tells me those measures are likely working.

I'll take it. Sure, it's annoying. It's annoying in the way a kid throwing a temper tantrum is annoying. But the tantrum eventually ends.
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    edited February 14, 2020
    All this thread does is reaffirm my hatred for spaghetti.
  • GypsySpiritGypsySpirit
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,340
    Happy Valentine's Day!
  • HabimaruHabimaru
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,630
    I cook great Italian-food though ! It even makes people really fat after they eat my cooking ! ^_^ (Even myself!)

Pretend-misinterpretations aside, although I should probably make a separate thread for it, coding or also known as programming has the following issues...:

・High-Level Programming Languages allow for more content to be coded in less time, due to being «easier for humans to read» the source-code, but also creates larger files, consumes more resources (such as hogging up all of that RAM and thus becoming more prone to Memory Leakage), and is more prone to crashes.
    ・Low-Level Programming Languages are «more difficult for humans to comprehend» (such as the «ultimate coding skill» of knowing Assembly-language, which is literally just putting in a whole bunches of combinations of 1s [ones] and 0s [zeroes]), requires more coding time, few people in the world even have this capability without being literal mathematical-geniuses, but being able to code effectively in Assembly has the advantages of smaller program-file-sizes, much more efficient execution of running said programs, the software-product is harder to crash, and if you are good at this skill you can easily command six-figure salaries from any company who might consider hiring you.

When I used to play on an old MUD (Clandestine), they had their Server-Reboots which are equivalent to how Mabinogi has Server-Maintenance, and the average time that it took for a re-boot to complete was usually after a few minutes. One day, how-ever, whether it was from one of their coders or some of them collaborating together, the re-boot time-duration was suddenly instantaneous from that day onward (imagine Mabinogi server-maintenance being completed before you could even finish blinking!). We couldn't believe it, yet, the results were there right before our eyes... junk that people dropped all over the ground was cleared just like you would expect after a fresh maintenance (as well as all of the other «resets» that would be expected). I assume that they must have somehow managed to put in some low-level code to clean up the «mess» that gets created from high-level programming. The amount of content that they output from Mabinogi leads me to believe that they mostly use high-level programming languages to create the content. Anyway... I mention this as an example of the potential power-and-efficiency that comes from coding one particular way (difficult low-level language-version of coding) over another (versus high-level language-version of coding).
    Sherri wrote: »
    All this thread does is reaffirm my hatred for spaghetti.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    edited February 15, 2020
    Welp the populations have been dispersed from ch1 and now the game looks dead. smh. We just had an update...it shouldn't be like this. I guess it's time to merge Alexina.
    Helsa
  • WolfsingerWolfsinger
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,875
    Welp the populations have been dispersed from ch1 and now the game looks dead. smh. We just had an update...it shouldn't be like this. I guess it's time to merge Alexina.

Please. Don't. xD
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Wolfsinger wrote: »

Please. Don't. xD

giphy.gif
    Helsa
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    I thought it was my internet at first (because it usually is) but to my surprise, Ch. 8 of Nao crashed!
    Actually no, it wasn't a surprise at all.. but anyway, I'm here to post about how annoying this is and I'm honestly scared to finish G24 if the channels are going to keep crashing like this.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    edited February 17, 2020
    Sherri wrote: »
    I thought it was my internet at first (because it usually is) but to my surprise, Ch. 8 of Nao crashed!
    Actually no, it wasn't a surprise at all.. but anyway, I'm here to post about how annoying this is and I'm honestly scared to finish G24 if the channels are going to keep crashing like this.

We should NOT have to do this, but what I suggest is every time you complete a quest log out and log back in to save your progress (and no, changing channels does not save character data).
    Helsa
  • ChoCho
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,120
    You can thank the weekly server merge spam posters for this. It's so cool to merge and time travel back to 2010 where we got rollbacks everyday.
  • PlatinaKokiPlatinaKoki
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,760
    edited February 17, 2020
    Cho wrote: »
    You can thank the weekly server merge spam posters for this. It's so cool to merge and time travel back to 2010 where we got rollbacks everyday.

And when people used "Bake" far more often. And in public.