Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Worth Coming Back?

MegaIodonMegaIodon
Mabinogi Rep: 100
in General Chat
I use to be a player from WAY BACK. I was curious to see if this was still around and to my surprise it was. I use to have a character named Archemides, frequented the Mari server. Blah blah. I know a lot has changed but the main question I want answered. Is it worth it for me to come back to? I have major nostalgia for the game as I came around the time G2-G3 was at its peak. I dare not ask what Generation we are on now but. I just want to know if it'd be worth it to download the launcher again. And give it a go again. My wife is also interested. Just waiting to see the comments and make a judgement for myself.

Comments

• GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    edited April 24, 2020
    Just log in and see for yourself...?
    КалашниковAlshianChaosShadowJianto
  • TimefallTimefall
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,505
    First of all, it's a completely different game now. Your account and character should still exist, but you should forget everything you remember about the game, and act like you've found a new game you've never played before. That's certainly what it'll feel like.

Is it still fun? Yes. There's countless things to do. More than you could imagine. Content keeps piling on top of content, in all areas (crafting, fighting, exploring, social, etc.). Most of it doesn't have an order to it, you don't have finish one thing to get to the next. You can jump into anything you want right away. There are 24 generations now, most have their own long storyline. Crafting is profitable and out-performs gacha gear. Rebirths are free every 6 days to keep you busy. Overall, it's an amazing game.

Now, I could also write a list of problems it has longer than a CVS receipt, but in the end, it's still the best Fantasy MMO I've ever encountered.
    WolfsingerКалашниковSherricourtneyyTheNyanCatAlshianPolicromaPectyl
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    In a lot of ways, it's worth it, and in some ways it's not.
    Things are a lot more complex now than back then and really like Greta says, log on in and decide for yourself. A lot has changed over a decade and one's values would also be different. And also a lot more available resources to provide assistance if needed.

To tell whether it's worth it or not, it depends on what you are looking for and what you are planning to achieve in the game.
    SherriPectyl
  • FluoretteFluorette
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,840
    ^ see above posts

"Worth it"? ... I have a feeling you meant to ask for something a little more specific...? As in "in what direction has the game gone?" or "what new attractive features have been added since I was away?" Otherwise, the topic at hand is really broad. X.x

Just take the plunge; it'll be far more helpful to you than asking around, because all our experiences/impressions are going to be different.

A sentence (or two) of caution, however. If you don't find another reason to enjoy this game outside of nostalgia, you might not last very long. Once you've satiated that nostalgic feeling, that excitement and wonder is replaced with "thank u, next"!

Hope you'll take the plunge regardless. ;D
    КалашниковSherri
  • HabimaruHabimaru
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,630
    For a while, the population dwindled, and stagnated, but has apparently been on a steady rise over the last several months, and plenty of «new players» in addition to plenty of Returned Milletians becoming part of the player-base (one of my past posts insistent on advertising may have had an influence). A good percentage of the population is sticking around so it is probably «worth it» for most people to actively participate in this particular digital-world...
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    MegaIodon wrote: »
    I use to be a player from WAY BACK. I was curious to see if this was still around and to my surprise it was. I use to have a character named Archemides, frequented the Mari server. Blah blah. I know a lot has changed but the main question I want answered. Is it worth it for me to come back to? I have major nostalgia for the game as I came around the time G2-G3 was at its peak. I dare not ask what Generation we are on now but. I just want to know if it'd be worth it to download the launcher again. And give it a go again. My wife is also interested. Just waiting to see the comments and make a judgement for myself.

G mid twenties now. A LOT of content has been added since then, including more playable races. The single biggest change for you occurred in the mid G teens, when they changed the combat system. It's playable now. Basically, they shifted skill load time to the skill cool down time, but left the old combat system in place for monsters (and pets unfortunately). Now, you can react to monsters. So one-on-ones are MUCH more manageable. Multi-agro is still an issue though, but there are means, now, of dealing with that too. As Greta said, just loaded it up and see. Your old server Mari had the servers Ruari and Tarlach merged into it and is now called Nao. There is one other server called Alexina. I can't recall if that was around during pre-G4 days.
    Sherri
  • КалашниковКалашников
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,300
    I came back recently, too, the character I'm working on now is not that great but there are many "QoL" features. Personal shops, generations and rebirthing are free, too. Lots of updates since to the point it's overwhelming in a semi-good way. There are many thing to "chip" away at and I'm using it as time-killer. If you were last playing during Dark Knight and Paladin, then the game is very different but I think it's much easier to progress a new character.

Some concerns, I don't like the inflation on Nao (relative to my prices of when I last played).
    Greta wrote: »

What a dismissive comment. He wants to know the state of game before so as to not waste his time. Would you say the same thing to someone who wants to play MS2 in its current state?
    SherriChaosShadow
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    edited April 24, 2020

What a dismissive comment. He wants to know the state of game before so as to not waste his time. Would you say the same thing to someone who wants to play MS2 in its current state?

You seriously comparing a game which is about to close with a one that won't be? Say whatever you want, but no one's feedback will be suitable to anyone 100%, it's best to just try it yourself.
    CrimsọnHarukariHelsaWolfsingerTheNyanCat
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    I came back recently, too, the character I'm working on now is not that great but there are many "QoL" features. Personal shops, generations and rebirthing are free, too. Lots of updates since to the point it's overwhelming in a semi-good way. There are many thing to "chip" away at and I'm using it as time-killer. If you were last playing during Dark Knight and Paladin, then the game is very different but I think it's much easier to progress a new character.

Some concerns, I don't like the inflation on Nao (relative to my prices of when I last played).

5dc15a58073122dfbb1db83934e49fdc.jpg
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    I think most of the points have been already said so I'm just here to say that if you do end up playing again and choose the Nao server, I can answer some questions if needed (well, try to) if you need any help :)
    Well, I guess it doesn't matter if you play on the Alexina server, we can still message each other..
    Калашников
  • КалашниковКалашников
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,300
    You seriously comparing a game which is about to close with a one that won't be? Say whatever you want, but no one's feedback will be suitable to anyone 100%, it's best to just try it yourself.

No, you don't understand the point.

I'm saying, if someone is asking for opinions, a one sentence "just do it" kind of comment is not sufficient. That wouldn't warn someone if the game is p2w, in a bad/unplayable state or, in MS2 case, shutting down. These are examples.

If your feedback is not suitable then don't comment like people are stupid. I have found asking for other's advice before downloading/buying a game has saved me a lot of time and money, so it does work.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    edited April 24, 2020
    Good night sweet prince.
    Калашников
  • HabimaruHabimaru
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,630
    Just going to add : The stability of the game has come quite a long way (in a way it's kind of a funny/amusing memory for those of us who remember back when one bug/glitch got fixed it ended up breaking a dozen other things...;o). Probably the one major instability right now that I'm pretty sure affects everyone is for those who consistently do the Saga-Episode Dailies where there is frequent crashing of client unless you re-started the client before completing the last part of any episode.

Elf-Archery is pretty much reliant on having Vision-of-Ladeca activated otherwise it's really quite a «dead-weight» skill-set without it to the point where even humans would have better/more-reliable archery (most humans are primarily going to stick with the warrior-archetype talents because of the efficiency of Final-Hit which has become much more powerful than before with an even shorter cool-down than it once did).

Anyway, should you choose to get back into things, just go straight to using Chain-Blade; you'll «one-shot» things sooner with that talent.
    КалашниковCrimsọn
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Tbh I am kinda worried about this game and a lot of other games this year if you get my drift.
    Wolfsinger
  • JasJMJJasJMJ
    Mabinogi Rep: 865
    easy answer: no do not come back
    Калашников
  • courtneyycourtneyy
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,435
    My advice is, this game is still really fun, especially if you haven't grinded yourself out. You can always find something to do, and there's all kinds of skills to work on that will fit pretty much any playstyle. I always loved this game because it doesn't make you conform to classes or a specific playstyle.

My advice, log in, and play how you want to play the game, and you'll find enjoyment in it. If you get bored, take a break but check back in weekly to see what events nexon comes up with. If your wife hasn't played mabi before I definitely think it'll be fun for you to see how she decides to play and you may even be inspired by what she comes up with.

If you are looking for another partner in crime to help you run stuff, welcome to add me. These days I really only login to see if people bug me for assistance. If you end up on the Nao server, just let me know and I'll slide you my IGN :)
    Калашников
  • TerslerTersler
    Mabinogi Rep: 600
    As a lot have said a lot has changed since you last played. I've been playing off an on for a few years now and a lot has changed just in that short while. New talent Chain Blade is pretty OP. All skills are pretty much worth doing (for stats if nothing else). It's easier to get HP, MP, Stamina with new reknowns. Spirit weapons are updated so they are far more useful. Sure, some things are still a pain in the patootie, but I think it's worth it and even better if your wife comes with you. Ya'll can do the Memorior quests to level up faster to begin with, and the potential system takes over once you get over 1k. I really love that there is no right or wrong way to play this game. You wanna hang out and talk to friends, go for it. You wanna max all your stats and take on the toughest dungeons and bosses? You can do that too. You wanna craft and sell things? Can also do that and your not locked into one class or talent. Can be a mage one day and a bard the next.
  • AmarazAmaraz
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,735
    If you want to play for fun, you will have to find the other players who feel the same way. Don't try and play with hard core players because they will make you feel like crap all the time. If you find the right group of people you will have fun.
    Wolfsinger
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    edited April 27, 2020
    Amaraz wrote: »
    If you want to play for fun, you will have to find the other players who feel the same way. Don't try and play with hard core players because they will make you feel like crap all the time. If you find the right group of people you will have fun.

There there, Amaraz. There there.

I consider myself to be quite helpful towards the newer and lower level players. If they are in the guild I will go as far to let them barrow equipment for training. I provide advice and suggestions on equipment and upgrades/enchants. We're not all that bad and some of the more "hardcore" players are just as helpful if not even more than me. Don't lump us all together.

"Hardcore" players help keep this game alive. We provide goals players aspire to.
    :D
    Wolfsinger
  • WolfsingerWolfsinger
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,875
    Crims wrote: »
    Amaraz wrote: »

There there, Amaraz. There there.

I consider myself to be quite helpful towards the newer and lower level players. If they are in the guild I will go as far to let them barrow equipment for training. I provide advice and suggestions on equipment and upgrades/enchants. We're not all that bad and some of the more "hardcore" players are just as helpful if not even more than me. Don't lump us all together.

"Hardcore" players help keep this game alive. We provide goals players aspire to.
    :D

I think it just depends who you run into. I've encountered quite a mixed bag of both...and I doubt its much different on Nao than it is Alexina XD