Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Old Mabi You think back on..

ShomarukiShomaruki
Mabinogi Rep: 1,300
in General Chat
I think the Mabi Generation today have it way easier then we have it now...Here are some of my memories.

Just some back story back in that day, MoonGates didn't work taking you where ever you wanted to go you had a timer that sent you to one place or another, you had to wait till Saturday to get to certain areas. (God Help you if you had to work that day.) And Anyone with Advance Magic or Arrow Revolver was considered Respected and basically a form of worshipping God in Alby Arena.

Playing Dead: That SKILL alone was something I wish was introduced.

Mounts- I'm shocked your character didn't get stronger leg muscles from all the running around.

Wind Mill actually ate 10% of your HP each time you used it

Dropping Gear when you were Koed (Did they remove this? Because I can't remember last time I dropped gear from death..)

Rebirthing That used to cost money instead of waiting every 7th day.
azurskiesRakLamartian

Comments

• PrettibearPrettibear
    Mabinogi Rep: 540
    err... what are moongates? we walked or ran everywhere we went... I remember running from tir to bangor rushing for an ideal quest which I had to pay for.

hmm... also had to pay for service if you want to transform to a paladin/dark knight.

running endless dungeons just for herbs to make potions to have hp pots handy when we windmill :)
    WolfsingerazurskiesRakLamartian
  • ShomarukiShomaruki
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,300
    Prettibear wrote: »
    err... what are moongates? we walked or ran everywhere we went... I remember running from tir to bangor rushing for an ideal quest which I had to pay for.

hmm... also had to pay for service if you want to transform to a paladin/dark knight.

running endless dungeons just for herbs to make potions to have hp pots handy when we windmill :)

Missing Ceo Island Missing that one made me want to kick a baby..
    Rak
  • WolfiieWolfiie
    Mabinogi Rep: 320
    Everything was practically tough in-game. Pets were practically stronger than you. xD Mini bears were really mini tanks!
    RakLamartian
  • AdenoAdeno
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,595
    Speaking of bears, here's my very first pet! I never got to rebirth him. When I came back to the game 6 months ago, I just rewarded my pets for their loyalty by getting them all to 200. My "classic" pets are now retired, living a comfortable life of holding various costumes and money.

lIU1qUd.jpg

I love the Mabinogi that I came back to. No more hp drain on Windmill. Advancement Dan tests are now individual instead of battle royale style. Easier teleportation (no more housing flyers!). Auction House, money has commas now. AP Training for skills with ridiculous random based requirements. It's a huge improvement for sure!

No more battle royale dan tests:
    LA9cURE.jpg

Red gem Albey was my gold farming spot:
    atk3Qv5.jpg

Peaca was endgame dungeon:
    og2f3WE.jpg

Leveling up ego/spirit weapon was a nightmare:
    yw6woIO.jpg

DB meant Dragon Blade, NOT Divine Blade:
    4GpCLy7.jpg

Robes were the height of fashion:
    4iD6L6s.jpg

Tir Na Nog was the place to train awful and boss requirements:
    27giRfS.jpg

Character creation options were limited, you can often find twins:
    yiT3jlj.jpg

The giant worm massacred lots of people:
    DhDdSj5.jpg

Some texts weren't properly translated so they showed up as squares:
    hwvkj3Y.jpg

Ciar basic was where you leveled up to your 60s/70s if you couldn't go to red or silver gem Albey:
    5OeSWMC.jpg

People actually worried about exp loss due to how long it took to level up beyond level 50:
    vMQ4OqO.jpg

You had to bid for your home:
    ehIUMTK.jpg

The ad board made you squint your eyes so as to not misread prices:
    04rKF6G.jpg

Broadswords were considered awesome:
    YzjD2K2.jpg

Successfully killing a giant boss took a long time and many sacrifices, unlike now where people slay dragons within seconds:
    u6YODmz.jpg

A pet inventory full of red gem Albey scrolls actually earned you decent money in relation to the cost of items back then:
    zS8azhg.jpg

Housing flyers were the best unintentional transportation tools, but they took a lot of space:
    QFd0Ybm.jpg

WolfsingerSherriRakLamartian
  • HarukariHarukari
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,470
    Can't say I have the most oldest memories. I started playing in 2014.
    Man, how fun the game used to be when I first started though.
    Rak
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    Remember times when we didn't have free repair/x2 training exp for 6 months in total in one year? Yeah...
    HelsaRak
  • Gaby5011Gaby5011
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,965
    I have soooo many memories from old Mabi. Here's one visual bug that was largely forgotten about.

64157744ec.jpg
    Rak
  • FluoretteFluorette
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,840
    Adeno wrote: »
    SNIP SNIP

Holy %$&#@, that is a wonderful treasure trove of old images/memories for this game.

I remember when the Beginner Chat was introduced. For the first few weeks of it, there were actual conversations going on within it (but none of interest). I recall it becoming overrun by gold-selling ad bots, hence why it's not a feature anymore.
    WolfsingerRak
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    I started playing at the tail end of G6, but for a few months before that I would watch my little brother play. He ask me if I wanted to try it out, and I would say no out of fear of getting addicted. One day I relented and played his character, an elf for a little bit, and decided to make an account. For the first month or three that I played Mabinogi, I played an elf before switching to someone tall. I spent nearly all that time just putting around Filia. I had no interest in exploring or doing G's or even ranking skills. I just did PTJ and abused the local wild life and enjoyed myself. I had a wooden blade and had to use the three free daily bombs to help me run the local dungeon. I remember one day I managed to make 10k gold; I felt super rich. I bought a gladius and the dungeon became a lot easier. The next day, I bought a round shield and I felt powerful. It was then that I decided to go explore the world. I remember walking into the Vales the first time and the guards killed me and I didn't know why.

I remember when G7 came in; this introduced flight. I remember feeling envious of folks whom had or knew someone whom had a Thunderbird.
    Rak
  • Kimo159Kimo159
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,810
    when i started play Mabinogi , it was since 2010/2011, but EU version, and i still remember when Claymore -two handed sword- was my dream to get xD it was about 30k gold at bangor, and when i saw someone holding, i was amazed, and Ego weapons too, it was highest weapon in the game

Good old days
    RakLamartian
  • NanocaNanoca
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,245
    How about: "So long ago, that the farthest south you could go was what became the seal to Dunbarton".
    Or when the field boss spawn at the lumbering area was more than one black knight.
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    i joined around the time before the actual old stuff and before whats considered the new stuff
    Peaca Abyss was the hardest dungeon and the Aces were being introduced
    Rak
  • KouyioueKouyioue
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,030
    edited February 20, 2021
    To me, older mabi was a bit more imaginative. Now it's TOO mabinogion'ish and no 'unrelated weirdo side-attractions' ever get introduced anymore, just direct, obvious mabinogion stuff

Back then, mabi was ... out there

Mail-owls,

The unexplained talking animals like Pan and two other cats,

The fat blue bird that hangs out with duncan,

Super-powered people hanging out with normal humans in all the towns with no other reason other than 'because I want to'. This stopped being a thing after Iria. Of all people, you'd think Master Tin or one of the other G1 super-beings would participate in world events nowadays. The new 'fantasy super powered NPCs' only appear in towns strictly for business reasons and then get deleted after their story arc. Sad. ,

Super-powered individuals being able to canonically see your MMO stats but not any of the ACTUAL dangerous
    enemies in G13 and newer being able to. This is a missed opportunity,

That time a normal human actually tried to do something(girl vs spider in the alby tutorial dungeon)

Dungeons implied to be telepathic and showing people 'things they need to see' as a sort of silent-hill machine not getting used any more,

The presence of creature beings like Aer and the Brownie-Elves. Those two NPCs existing out in the open singularly pique my curiosity. As far as I've seen, new mabi is far too business-oriented to try weirdo stuff like this anymore outside of one-off events that leave absolutely nothing behind after they're deleted. If a cool new character gets introduced, they are strictly there for plot-reasons with absolutely no wiggle-room for anything else, and then get deleted immediately afterwards. That's such a sterile way of handling things.

Who else besides Mari got face-offed by Morrighan or some other god? etc etc.

- - - - - - - - - -

I love thinking about older mabi, I want more 'old mabi'.
    Now we only get straight up mabinogion-stuff and it's so unimaginative to me. New Mabinogi is tooo mabinogi, as paradoxical as that sounds... I want more 'unrelated weirdo side-attractions' like there were back in the old days. Fleta, Aer the only fish-lady in the game, unnecessary Pre-G17 Macha rumors, Fat Blue Bird, More talking animals like Pan, go nuts! You might consider junk-content(emain telescope) and useless objects(fat blue bird near duncan's house) that'll never be implimented for anything useful as a waste of effort, but I certainly don't. I want MORE unifinished junk content to stare at, not less. Do something with Tara, it's been empty for ten years and it's got map markings for unimplemented areas. Even if it's just junk scenery or useless NPCs because that'd at least make it less lonely

Can I get a brownie elf town to visit? Ogre town? Goblin town? Imp town?
    Lamartian