Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Why is it so hard...

ChaosShadowChaosShadow
Mabinogi Rep: 2,590
edited May 1, 2018 in General Chat
...for people to note me back, and let me know that the offer I made on an item wasn't good enough? It is not that hard to type up that kind of response in less than two minutes.

Why is it also so hard for people to recognize the acronym "NMP," or note me price, in my party ad? I'm asking them for a price, not asking them to tell me to give them a price!

This game's community drives me insane sometimes... :c
SoraHakuDASphyra21soobinayo

Comments

• HellkaizerHellkaizer
    Mabinogi Rep: 11,305
    ...for people to note me back, and let me know that the offer I made on an item wasn't good enough? It is not that hard to type up that kind of response in less than two minutes.

Why is it also so hard for people to recognize the acronym "NMP," or note me price, in my party ad? I'm asking them for a price, not asking them to tell me to give them a price!

This game's community drives me insane sometimes... :c

I know part of it can be attributed to the note system being laggy, but yes it is rather frustrating at times.
  • BronzebreakBronzebreak
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,940
    edited May 15, 2018
    From a not-too-serious point of view, the first offer is normally made by the 'weaker' in a conversation, because although the agreed upon amount is normally closer to that value than not, it sets the tone of the conversation for how 'serious' they are. Generally the first offer isn't at/above price of the item. Once the first offer is made, it is up to the other party to determine if the conversation is worth pursuing, or if the deal will even be in their benefit.

If people are just making inquiries, placing an offer or evaluation may put them in a 'I'm trying to buy this' situation, and/or make them feel like they are committing to the purchase.

Otherwise, people are rude and if they don't hear what they want off the hop they ignore you and move on to the next person.

GAWDDAMIT I JUST NOTICED SPELLING ERRORS.
    Fluorette
  • FluoretteFluorette
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,840
    edited May 1, 2018
    There is a number of reasons why they could choose not to respond. It could be to spare your feelings because they know that some people do not take rejection well. It could be because they forgot to check their notes. They could be "ghosting". etc...

As for the "NMP" subject: It's possible that they're completely unaware of the price of the item, especially if it's something not commonly sold in player shops. It's also very possible that they're afraid of what you already mentioned--not being answered because their offer wasn't good enough. So, in attempt to hook your attention, they ask you what you would be interested in seeing as a price instead.

But that's just a theory.
    Twelie
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    edited May 1, 2018
    Spare my feelings? Hmph. I would argue they have some responsibility to note one back, rather than keeping us in the dark. In any case, sellers also have to keep in mind that some offers are low precisely because Some do not know the standard price, not due to being cheapskates.

It is called "being cautious". Though I admit, the back and forth of "No, you make an offer" and "No, you make an asking price range" is pretty annoying.
    TwelieChaosShadow
  • OpalthiraOpalthira
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,595
    There is a bug that makes it so that you won't get a note notification if they respond too quickly.
    That usually always made wait exceeding amounts of time to respond if im not constanly checking.

In general i just think people don't know mabi acronyms and could just be thinking NMP = Note Me Please.
    Otherwise the person is just to lazy to give a price or wants to know your price range you are willing to offer for the item.
    THICCthighssavelives
  • FluoretteFluorette
    Spare my feelings? Hmph. I would argue they have some responsibility to note one back, rather than keeping us in the dark.

For the chance of being responded to with a barrage of insults/being harassed/etc.... there's probably at least a few who would prefer if the other person was left in the dark if it means preventing that. It does sound far-fetched, but surely there are those out there who are immature enough on one side and those who are paranoid enough on the other.

I realize there's also the chance that someone might feel like responding back would be a waste of time. Or like Bronzebreak said, they might simply be a rude person and will ignore you if they don't hear what they want. In those cases something like "responsibility" would already be irrelevant to them.

Of course, this is not to suggest that I particularly favor the notion of not noting one back if an offer isn't good enough. I would personally do so. I've just fallen into the habit of considering things from other possible perspectives. ^^;
  • RheyRhey
    Mabinogi Rep: 10,175
    edited May 1, 2018
    Me personally...I make it habit to not note someone anymore after there has been no response for a whole day or two. People will usually reply with ?????????????????????? or have since already moved on to other things. Saves me from wasting time/awkward moments.

tumblr_p1edjjqx7m1wn2b96o1_500.gif

TwelieChaosShadow
  • THICCthighssavelivesTHICCthighssavelives
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,855
    edited May 1, 2018
    Opalthira wrote: »
    In general i just think people don't know mabi acronyms and could just be thinking NMP = Note Me Please.
    I was about to post this. I thought it meant "note me please."
  • ShouKShouK
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,735
    edited May 1, 2018
    I usually don’t note people back, if the opening offer is too low because I sort of assume they just want to lowball. Sometimes that’s not the case but I just can’t be bothered to respond tbh

..what pissed me off the most is that when I ask the price of an item literally not that long after the seller advertised, my message is ignored when I know the seller is definitely online (I was dealing using facebook/discord). I don’t understand WHY ADVERTISE WHEN YOU DON’T WANT TO RESPOND?!
    SylviaWolfe
  • PopclipsPopclips
    Mabinogi Rep: 790
    Opalthira wrote: »
    I was about to post this. I thought it meant "note me please."

lol, I'm one of those people too! I always thought it meant "note me please" :'D Oh, all the people I must have annoyed....
  • FluoretteFluorette
    I also thought it was "Note Me Please" at some point since it makes more sense grammatically than "Note Me Price", and that's how I'm wired to think. =D Maybe there should be a thread pointing out vendor slang for unaware folks to refer to in that case.
  • KouyioueKouyioue
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,030
    edited May 2, 2018
    Perhaps if people wish to communicate moderate-stakes business, they should use exact words instead of TXTSPK and also learn to terminate transactions

It'd get the point across in the most effective way. Also, the smarminess of denying people business for not taking the effort to communicate effectively with their lazy, single-word, notes is most enjoyable ! Especially when it's someone who did this first

OP said notes, so I'm talking notes, Not even going to edit anything above this line :P
  • HellkaizerHellkaizer
    edited May 2, 2018
    Spare my feelings? Hmph. I would argue they have some responsibility to note one back, rather than keeping us in the dark. In any case, sellers also have to keep in mind that some offers are low precisely because Some do not know the standard price, not due to being cheapskates.

It is called "being cautious". Though I admit, the back and forth of "No, you make an offer" and "No, you make an asking price range" is pretty annoying.

I don't tend to note people back if they offer something ridiculous. I was selling something worth 30m, they noted me offering 10m and then got mad that I didn't reply. What a joke.
    Kouyioue wrote: »
    Perhaps if people wish to communicate moderate-stakes business, they should use exact words instead of TXTSPK and also learn to terminate transactions

It'd get the point across in the most effective way

Because we have super restricted party space. Note me price, takes up like half the room you have and it's pretty standard in what it means.

The things I hate most are people backing out of offers, and when people try and guilt me into selling/buying.
    Twelie
  • JaridavinJaridavin
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,310
    Probably has to do with how some conversations go when two people have completely different ideas on how much the item sells for.

My Bunny Boxer Robe situation is an example. I asked multiple people who had the robe what it was worth, and they all told me 3-4m. When I finally saved up, put up the party, got a note, and said I'm offering 3m, I was chewed out for being a low pricer, and called nasty things, because they said it was worth 7m.

I still found a 3m seller the same day, but that's just giving an example. They might just go quiet because they think the other, or even themself, might cause a big hostile reaction.
    Daktaro
  • DaktaroDaktaro
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,335
    it annoys me too sometimes but figure yeah they either don't know what price they want themselves, are being cautious or misunderstand "NMP"

what annoys me more is when i write a party "trading [item1] FOR [item2]" and soooooo many people note saying "i have [item1]"
    or note saying "sure!', we get to trading and they put the same item i'm trading in the window :C
    T> [item1] F> [item2] means i'm giving my [item1] in return for your [item2]...................
    ChaosShadow
  • nevyn25nevyn25
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,135
    edited May 4, 2018
    I totally agree with the OP that it's pretty lame to not get any reply when you send a note asking/offering a certain ammount. personally I even find it disrespectful toward the other party (except when not replying to trolling notes). I mean, big deal if you reject someone's offer or your offer gets rejected. get over it and either raise/lower your offer/price or move on.

what also annoys me is that people add you without noting you first when your party ad clearly says 'NM', not 'add'. like, if I wanted you to add me I'd have put that in my party ad. of course you can always add each other after the initial note(s) to make discussing a trade easier.

as for the NMP acronym, to me it is solely meant for when you are looking to buy something and want the other to name their price, not for selling stuff. the NMO acronym should only be used when selling something that you don't set a specific price for.
    ChaosShadow
  • KitsuyashaKitsuyasha
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,280
    I don't understand why it's so difficult to say "nty" during certain situations and leave it at that. Ignoring someone is just plain rude tbh. Either tell me yes, no, or counter offer, please. I don't have time for guessing games.
    ChaosShadow
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    I will ignore people if I want. If I don't like your offer then I don't have to dignify a response. Sure it may be rude but I am not obligated to respond or talk to anyone.
    THICCthighssavelives
  • ChaosShadowChaosShadow
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,590
    Gaea wrote: »
    I will ignore people if I want. If I don't like your offer then I don't have to dignify a response. Sure it may be rude but I am not obligated to respond or talk to anyone.

I don't find myself surprised to know that's your take on this. lol

That's fine though. You're certainly not obligated to reply, so you do you.

It still baffles me though why typing out a short response is so hard that you, and everyone else who said they deliberately don't respond, have to take that stance.

I understand not wanting to waste your time on a jokester intentionally making a stupid offer, but some people don't keep up with the market very well and genuinely don't know a solid price- especially if the item has faded out of the market to a point of obscurity.

And beyond that, people should not have to worry about getting a hostile response. If you tell them no and they don't handle it appropriately, then by all means, feel free to ignore them at that point. Ignoring them before then doesn't give them a chance to get the item they desire and only gives them a reason to get angry at you anyway.
    BronzebreakTwelieKrissyPootel
  • HellkaizerHellkaizer
    Gaea wrote: »

I don't find myself surprised to know that's your take on this. lol

That's fine though. You're certainly not obligated to reply, so you do you.

It still baffles me though why typing out a short response is so hard that you, and everyone else who said they deliberately don't respond, have to take that stance.

I understand not wanting to waste your time on a jokester intentionally making a stupid offer, but some people don't keep up with the market very well and genuinely don't know a solid price- especially if the item has faded out of the market to a point of obscurity.

And beyond that, people should not have to worry about getting a hostile response. If you tell them no and they don't handle it appropriately, then by all means, feel free to ignore them at that point. Ignoring them before then doesn't give them a chance to get the item they desire and only gives them a reason to get angry at you anyway.

That's my take on it too, I don't owe you a response. I do give one most of the time but if I have a party that says "No trades" then I get a note "will you take trades" I'm not going to bother replying. Or if I get insanely low offers those get ignored too.