Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

New Metals

Comments

• JazmynJazmyn
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,595
    It would be cool if we can make our own accessories other than rely on VIP giveaways, but that would kind of ruin some of the perks of VIP service.
    But then, crafting your own accessories to me has more value.

Jewelry making talent. :o Magical earrings, accessories, necklaces, bracelets, watches; needs production mastery, weaving, blacksmithing, handicraft, magic craft, hillwin, etc.
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    Jazmyn wrote: »
    It would be cool if we can make our own accessories other than rely on VIP giveaways, but that would kind of ruin some of the perks of VIP service.

Jewelry making talent. :o Magical earrings, accessories, necklaces, bracelets, watches; needs production mastery, weaving, blacksmithing, handicraft, magic craft, hillwin, etc.

Indeed, could be called goldsmithing.
    Jazmyn
  • IAAWIAAW
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,285

Assuming it needs it, they could add goldsmithing stations in Filia.

Conveniently placed near the bank, of course.
    Kensamaofmari
    IAAW wrote: »

Assuming it needs it, they could add goldsmithing stations in Filia.

Conveniently placed near the bank, of course.

I've wondered since Filia and Connous region has mostly desertfied, shouldn't it be worth prospecting the land for ore and quarries as well?
  • IAAWIAAW
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,285
    I've wondered since Filia and Connous region has mostly desertfied, shouldn't it be worth prospecting the land for ore and quarries as well?

Honestly wouldn't be a bad idea. Another place to be able to mine for ore would be good, and especially after the dungeon revamp it's unrealistic to expect aspiring blacksmiths to run Barri Dungeon for ore. I know Metallurgy exists, but still.
    IAAW wrote: »

Honestly wouldn't be a bad idea. Another place to be able to mine for ore would be good, and especially after the dungeon revamp it's unrealistic to expect aspiring blacksmiths to run Barri Dungeon for ore. I know Metallurgy exists, but still.

Well especially since the game doesn't have a key focus on player agriculture/animal husbandry in terms of life skills to make the region green again after the issues have been technically settled between Elves and Giants (depending how far one has progressed on the storyline).
    There is a lot more potential to use the land's hard resources instead.
  • GTCvActiumGTCvActium
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,125
    ^ Metal conversion is definitely related, but in my head I have a hard time making alchemy fit in with blacksmithing. Mabi's version of alchemy seems a lot more magical, fantastical, and chance based than mabi's relatively realistic version of metal smelting and forging.

According to wikipedia, IRL alchemy is basically old (incorrect) chemistry written in secretive code. Mabi's alchemy on the other hand is really tricky to comprehend rationally. The battle alchemy skills are like an alternative to elemental magic but with an extra element. The transmutation skills are like a combination of chance, equivalent exchange, and like... time reversal. Synthesis has this element of chance, where the universe trades with you for something of similar value. Fragmentation does the same, but the universe looks backwards in time somehow to give you the constituent components of an object in return for the actual object. Metal conversion is the odd one out that doesn't follow equivalent exchange (maybe that's ok since it's a concept from FMA and not mabi :D), specifically that it allows you to directly upgrade a metal without needing to 'pay' anything in return for the upgrade.

I'm rambling now... In the end I think alchemy is a better fit with apothecary, with potion-making and herbalism being a sort of edible alchemy.

Alchemy within the lore of Mabi itself was a way for people without talent in magic to use magic. Alchemy itself in Mabi is pretty much their version of science. Taking the old system and the new system into consideration, Alchemy was based around making a crystal that would produce a desired effect before heading to the field to use it. It would be like an Alchemist made some barrier spikes and golems before heading out into the field. It's as if a scientist made some bombs and some glue and throwing them at enemies. The modern system of alchemy has the Alchemist just carry the 4 basic elements and mixing them in field for the same effect.

Also as with the lore, Alchemy itself was knowledge stolen from the Fomors, so humans don't actually know the exact science behind it so when using some of the skills, like Synthesis, humans don't know what variables should be accounted for. Simply put humans stole the knowledge of how to use it, but not the reasoning behind it. Alchemy also isn't completely just pure science, it still uses some of the properties of magic in its usage. But to a much lighter degree so that just about anyone can have access. As we know magic can alter natural laws so Alchemists can and do perform conversions that are unthinkable by us. Synthesis actually drains MP from the user so that means the synthesis process is using magic to a degree to do something. This is also why Alchemy is actually a state guarded secret, people that perform experiments and test to discover how to more effectively use it may come across some powerful formula or process which they want out of normal people's hands.

In short, like modern science, scientists of the older ages don't know the mechanisms by which it works, they purpose experiments, test the results and draw conclusion. Alchemy in mabi is in a similar stage. The Alchemists are still experimenting and discovering its properties and thus have no real understanding of all the variables involved. When you throw magic in the equation, which itself not a fully understood agent of change, then you have far FAR more variables to deal with.
  • TetosanTetosan
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,035
    First Blacksmithing needs a serious overhaul. then we can talk about new Materials.
    KensamaofmariAsuriel
  • AsurielAsuriel
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,960
    I can see where this idea would be great and all, but at the same time, I'm sitting here looking at Carpentry, Black smithing, Tailoring and similar skills with this major disdain on having to level them, lmao.
    KensamaofmariJazmyn
    Tetosan wrote: »
    First Blacksmithing needs a serious overhaul. then we can talk about new Materials.

Well firstly, we need to have more things that can be made from smithing.
    Should smithing and crafts be more branched out?
    Miruha wrote: »
    I can see where this idea would be great and all, but at the same time, I'm sitting here looking at Carpentry, Black smithing, Tailoring and similar skills with this major disdain on having to level them, lmao.

Yeah, carpentry uses a lot of time and wood, but has so little results.
    This has gone quiet for a couple months, but since we have a new life skill update, I was hoping we'd have a review of these feedbacks here for potential future updates for mining and crafting.
    So this is just a bump for that purpose.
    THICCthighssavelives
    Has anyone tried if there are new smithing and crafting material or final products from the update?
    I'm focusing on the cooking and haven't looked elsewhere yet.
    Would love to see input on it from the update.
  • nomigid15nomigid15
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,870
    edited July 11, 2021
    Bumping this to add on to the alloying idea:

Invar (Iron+Nickel)
    Bronze (Tin+Copper)
    Billon (Copper+Silver)
    Brass (Copper+Zinc)
    Melchior (Copper+Nickel)
    Rose Gold (Brass+Gold)
    Electrum (Gold+Silver)
    Cunife (Copper+Nickel+Iron)
    Antanium (Gold+Iron+Copper)
    Crown gold (Gold+Silver+Copper)
    Gunmetal (Copper+Tin+Zinc)
    Argentan (Copper+Nickel+Zinc)
    Kensamaofmari
    nomigid15 wrote: »
    Bumping this to add on to the alloying idea:

Invar (Iron+Nickel)
    Bronze (Tin+Copper)
    Billon (Copper+Silver)
    Brass (Copper+Zinc)
    Melchior (Copper+Nickel)
    Rose Gold (Brass+Gold)
    Electrum (Gold+Silver)
    Cunife (Copper+Nickel+Iron)
    Antanium (Gold+Iron+Copper)
    Crown gold (Gold+Silver+Copper)
    Gunmetal (Copper+Tin+Zinc)
    Argentan (Copper+Nickel+Zinc)

Making alloys is a great idea. Maybe we can put orichalcum in that category. But we'll also need ideas on what craftable items to use them for.