Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Why are people killing the market on purpose?

KousukeKiraKousukeKira
Mabinogi Rep: 1,320
edited March 8, 2019 in General Chat
I have seen this with a lot of recent items. It's completely normal that item prices drop during the first 1-2 days, and then settle on the real value. However, for example the new wings or also the tails in Abaddon. I put my wings at 14m, now, if you wanna undercut me, it would be fine to put it at 13m or 13.5m, but the next person put their wings at 3.5m. Also, different wings which I put on AH for 7m, were then put for 250k. I mean, you are killing the market for yourself as well. Why are people doing this? This is not how economy works. This means selling items that did cost real money for practically nothing. And once it sold for 250k because of some desperate crazy person, it will be almost impossible to rise the value again.
Now, there might be people saying "but wings shouldn't cost this much and Abaddon was overplayed!", but my common sense tells me that if there's a tail sitting on AH for 30m, as the only tail of its kind, you do not put yours for 5m, unless you wanna shoot yourself in the foot.
YuoichiQAQb

Comments

• DragoolfireDragoolfire
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,590
    Buy Low, Sell High. Buy as many at low prices, then when things settle down, sell high. Just got to have patience on these things.
  • KousukeKiraKousukeKira
    edited March 8, 2019
    That's no proper reply to the discussion at hand at all.

I'm curious about people's reasons, other than being desperate. But then again, they can't be that desperate if they sell for 250k.
  • RainTheMainlessRainTheMainless
    Mabinogi Rep: 835
    I've sold a few things at super undervalue, but thats only when I've been trying for 2+ weeks to get rid of them, like an elephant bag, that AH history said was 300k but after 3 weeks trying to sell it going as low as 100k I eventually put it up for 20k just to get rid of it.
    QAQb
  • TsumikkiTsumikki
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,200
    edited March 10, 2019
    Is there even a "real value" for not-animated wings anymore? Actually needed things shoot back to their initial worth no problem.
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    edited March 8, 2019
    Wings are dead fashion honestly. People got bored of them after all these years. Good luck selling yours for 10m+.
    If people want to sell low, let them be. No one is killing the market. The only ones who are killing most likely are the ones who like to sell crappy fashion for too high.
    ZeoLeineilucifernLutetiumoffwithyourheadsKaiwythXxBearslayerxXFariisonImaizumiQAQb
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165

I'm curious about people's reasons, other than being desperate. But then again, they can't be that desperate if they sell for 250k.

Yes it is a proper reply. People also like to quick sale and that's their right if they want to because they paid for it. If you feel cheated because you paid for it that's not their problem or ours.
    KensamaofmariLeineiLutetiumoffwithyourheadsXxBearslayerxX
  • JJJJ
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,400

It's a perfect reply. If you really honestly think you can sell the item at a much higher price, just buy it cheap and resell it at your price.
    If you CAN'T sell it at your price because too many people are selling it cheap, then you need to lower your price to be competitive and suit the low demand.
    If the demand were truly high then the low priced ones would sell out quickly only leaving the ones at your price.
    offwithyourheadsImaizumi
  • FayeKaibaFayeKaiba
    Mabinogi Rep: 10,670
    If demand for something is high, then people will sell lower to get their's selling quicker. Lower your price to equal what the other's are.
    LutetiumoffwithyourheadsTheNyanCatQAQb
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    My conclusion is that OP feels cheated that they can't get more gold for the item(s) they are selling. I can make a conjecture too; OP is greedy.

Bam.
    LutetiumoffwithyourheadsXxBearslayerxXTtheHeroFariisonQAQb
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    Gaea wrote: »

Yes it is a proper reply. People also like to quick sale and that's their right if they want to because they paid for it. If you feel cheated because you paid for it that's not their problem or ours.

For example, if a certain item is valued usually at 1 million, and at that price, it may take a week or 2 to sell, if I happen to have let's say 10 of them available, but I need money; I'd price that at a big discount of maybe 30-50% lower than market value and buyers love lower prices and they sales of the items are completed within days. As a seller, I am ok with that discount, because usually the cost of obtaining many items is 0 gold, so as a seller, I have the luxury of undercutting prices and still make a good profit.
    Lutetium
  • PolicromaPolicroma
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,730
    edited March 8, 2019
    While I do agree some people are messing with market prices, the wings are really down to supply and demand. And thing is, there's simply a huge supply of many wings right now.

The best thing to do if a gacha drops something new or interesting in large numbers is to hang onto the item. If it's not a fancy new dress that a desperate fashionogi will pay 80m for, the price WILL drop as more gachas are opened. (Not might, will.) And when that happens, if you haven't sold it by day one or two, stick the item in your inventory and let it cook for a few months. Most "cheap" wings will eventually get back to the worth of a couple mil once the supply dries up. But don't expect to sell a pair of bizarrely-colored, hard-to-match wings for 15 mil just because they are wings.
  • Mkoch99Mkoch99
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,060
    Selling wings at that high a price seems a bit much with the current event going on right now. Then again I'd sell really any wings at 4mil on Mari which I still think is a bit expensive
    QAQb
  • LeineiLeinei
    Mabinogi Rep: 16,440
    Mkoch99 wrote: »
    Selling wings at that high a price seems a bit much with the current event going on right now. Then again I'd sell really any wings at 4mil on Mari which I still think is a bit expensive

What current event are you talking about? The gacha being around? People sell the wings high as soon as they come out and then lower the prices over time if they won't/don't sell.
  • FayeKaibaFayeKaiba
    Mabinogi Rep: 10,670
    Leinei wrote: »

What current event are you talking about? The gacha being around? People sell the wings high as soon as they come out and then lower the prices over time if they won't/don't sell.

Normally first 24 hours is hard to pick what to sell stuff at. Yesterday when the gacha came out. After an hour people were trying to sell the floral fairy wings for 25-45m. This morning they are down to 750k-2m.
    QAQb
  • KousukeKiraKousukeKira
    Yeah nothing else was to be expected.
    Zephyrmaru
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    FayeKaiba wrote: »
    Leinei wrote: »

Normally first 24 hours is hard to pick what to sell stuff at. Yesterday when the gacha came out. After an hour people were trying to sell the floral fairy wings for 25-45m. This morning they are down to 750k-2m.

First group of sellers would be hoping that the chance of obtaining it will be rare, so start out at a high price to try to get an eye for demand. Once there's a more steady supply starting to show up, the price will go down to lower levels until supply runs out, then prices would go up slightly depending on what is left.
  • KttyKtty
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,415
    Hate me for saying this if you like, but...... Who cares what amount other ppl sell items for. I don't. I sell items at whatever amount that I feel is appropriate. Sometimes the items sell as fast as I price them because someone thinks it's cheap as hell. Other times I've received rude notes/PMs because they thought I was asking to much. My answer to anyone who doesn't like the price someone else chooses....... your complaining about pixels!!!!!! they are just pixels. You don't think you can get enough in-game gold (just pixels too) for something you paid irl money for? Don't spend irl money then.

Sorry, I had to rant.. And if you don't think that price undercutting like that doesn't happen in a rl market you better check again because it does.
    Berryswirl
  • WingWing
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,095
    Isn't the point of Auction House for people to bid on items. You put your wings opening bid at 14 mil, another person thinks they are not worth that much so they start their bidding at 3.5 mil to see how high bidding will actually go. Try not overpricing things to begin with. ALL items are only worth what people are willing to pay for them.
    Berryswirl
  • TheDumbOneTheDumbOne
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,790
    i think recently ppl been selling to high. around the 10-20mil range for everything.
    i think the price reduce in a days gacha is crazy too...
  • PolicromaPolicroma
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,730
    TheDumbOne wrote: »
    i think recently ppl been selling to high. around the 10-20mil range for everything.
    i think the price reduce in a days gacha is crazy too...

Sometimes you really can't tell what people are going to pay for an item. While the dress-of-the-day usually fetches some kind of high price for the sake of rarity alone, just because an item is "rare" doesn't mean people will want it.
    LutetiumWolfsingerTheDumbOne