Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

SERVER MERGING

VythanLeVythanLe
Mabinogi Rep: 800
in General Chat
Hey, so theres roughly a couple thousand people playing the US Servers right now at best, and thats across two. back in 2009 there was 4 servers all full, I want more people to play with.
Now we all know how popular the korean servers are.
now that we have merged 3 servers into one, and the game is still DYING REALISTICALLY AND MIGHT VERY WELL BE DEAD WITHIN 2 YEARS.
Nexon, maybe you should start considering a solution, before this ends up like the EU servers.

I have two.

1: Merge the US and korean servers together.
Merge the servers all around the world into a GLOBAL MOTHER SERVER, but with REGION CHANNELS
SO if you dont want to communicate with a US server that then communicates to the KOREAN MOTHER SERVER, YOU CAN JUST GO STRAIGHT TO A US CHANNEL.
but alternatively, you can join the mother server at the cost of a loooooooong communications process. (lag)(ping)
but if they do it right, the ping shouldnt be too bad.
patch a translator into the game, even if its bad.

2: if the game dies, just merge all our accounts to the korean servers PLEASE, and have nexon korea do something similar if not the same.

This way we can have more than 250 people to play with that are the same guys every day, might as well just play a private single player server .
only benefit of this is the nice community, which yes, is very important.

What do you think??
  1. Would you want this?29 votes
    1. Yes, board the mothership
       34% (10 votes)
    2. No, I play MMORPGs to be alone
       66% (19 votes)

Comments

• JJJJ
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,400
    There are plenty of people. This is nothing like what happened in the EU servers which were broken to the point of no one being able to play. I can't see NA shutting down any time soon. Maybe we should have merged all the NA servers and just added more channels, but at the time the numbers showed that it would most likely work as they did it. It's not possible to predict this stuff perfectly. If you want to play on the KR servers then maybe petition the IP block to be removed, but I'm fairly certain there is no chance of transferring accounts to there.
    Everything is fine.
    Keep Calm and Carry On.
    DraechLeineiWolfsingerPolicromaLiberatepawcalypse
  • Gaby5011Gaby5011
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,965
    What about the "I don't want to run content with 500 ping versus the KR players with their 10 ping"? Also what about language barriers? Lots of Koreans don't speak English and a lot of NA and EU players don't speak Korean...
    LeineiDraech
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    Biased poll.
    My vote is no, because the communication between NA and KR is already horrendous (from what we know of) and I honestly lag enough with the NA servers (I'm on the east coast).
    I also don't want to deal with other languages when we still don't have an in game translation feature. We got enough people who think they're invincible and can talk behind others' backs just cuz' they speak a different language.
    SacredCrimsonRadiant DawnWolfsingerpawcalypseChaosShadow
  • RheyRhey
    Mabinogi Rep: 10,175
    VythanLe wrote: »
    ...DYING REALISTICALLY AND MIGHT VERY WELL BE DEAD WITHIN 2 YEARS.

I see this kind of doom & gloom so much around here but every year mabi outlives the prevs predictions. Hard to take srsly anymore.
    CaissaWolfsingerDraechSherriPolicromaLiberateCrimsọnRadiant DawnSebastianpawcalypseand 1 other.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    A world-wide server merging would be nice in and of itself, but the present architectural system for Mabinogi would have to be fundamentally changed first. Apparently in Korea their connexion speed is so good that elves rule the day. If you forced world connexion rates on them they wouldn't be happy and isn't the Korean player-base carrying this game?

I'd like to see them move away from the channel based system to some kind of multi-tiered system to distribute the load and server-side actions so that it can take on more actions from the client. You'd have to redesign the maps, not only making them geographically much larger (can you imagine Dunby square in a "one-channel" world server it would be just a blob of flesh shaped like Dunby Square), but also into smaller chunks, like the Spider-Man games render New York City.

Finally, you'd either have to declare a single language for it (and what if it's NOT English) or you'd have to enable some on-the-fly universal translating so you can type in your language in your speech bubble but on the other computers that can see it, it is translated "flawlessly" into theirs. World of Warcraft is world wide and they avoided this by making it English from day one. Mabinogi didn't start that way, so this is an issue.
    SherripawcalypseVythanLe
  • WolfsingerWolfsinger
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,875
    Biased poll, but I'm saying No anyway for basically all the reasons mentioned already, and a few others that I'm sure others with more time on their hands will mention later.
  • DraechDraech
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,390
    Step 1. Merge Alexina and Nao.
    Step 2. Merge all Mabi regions together (NA, KR, JP, ...)
    Step 3. Merge all Nexon games together. (Might as well, if OP feels this strongly about Mabi's future)
    Step 4. ???
    Step 5. Die at the hands of this gacha-filled chimera.
    SherriRadiant DawnpawcalypseWolfsingerChaosShadow
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    Draech wrote: »
    Step 3. Merge all Nexon games together. (Might as well, if OP feels this strongly about Mabi's future)
    Step 4. ???

Step 4 is obviously going VR.
    Wolfsinger
  • HelsaHelsa
    Step 4 is obviously going VR.

Oh, gawd this is the part where Blissfulkill offers to beta test the interfacing hardware for the Bean Rua "Back Room" mini-game.
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    Draech wrote: »
    Step 4. ???

On the bright side, the MapleStory crossover will be a permanent feature now.
  • PolicromaPolicroma
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,730
    Mabinogi has outlasted many other MMOs. It'll be fine.

Besides, we never had "4 full servers". LOL We've usually had 1 populated server, one or two moderately populated servers, and one barely populated. Before Alexina we had 3 moderately populated servers with most people hanging in Tir. (Dunby, Emain, and Bangor were around, but nobody really hung out there.)
    pawcalypseWolfsinger
    edited February 4, 2020
    Policroma wrote: »

Besides, we never had "4 full servers". LOL We've usually had 1 populated server, one or two moderately populated servers, and one barely populated. Before Alexina we had 3 moderately populated servers with most people hanging in Tir. (Dunby, Emain, and Bangor were around, but nobody really hung out there.)

Well, people were also more active then. There were a lot more people on the roads and dungeon hunting.
  • LiberateLiberate
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,360
    edited February 4, 2020

Plenty of people hanged out in Dunbarton and Bangor. Tir Chonaill was super populated due a lot of hardcore players that went to the PvP arena and spammed Ciar Int all the time, plus the merchant license in Tir was really cheap. Dunbarton though had a lot of people who did quests or helped people with quests while acting as a proper hub for people who liked doing Fiodh normal/Rabbie basic. Then there was Bangor where it was the only place to do refining and blacksmithing while at the same time G1~G3 made you spam Barri dungeon a lot.
  • PolicromaPolicroma
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,730
    Not like Dunby is active now. My first trip to Dunbarton was a ghost town shortly after the game opened.

It wasn't until Elves and Giants that Dunby started to become the "hub" it is now. Tir sometimes still has people, but it used to be the main "hub" back before Alexina opened.
  • LiberateLiberate
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,360
    Not like Dunby is active now. My first trip to Dunbarton was a ghost town shortly after the game opened.

It wasn't until Elves and Giants that Dunby started to become the "hub" it is now. Tir sometimes still has people, but it used to be the main "hub" back before Alexina opened.

Continent Warp basically dictated where the market was moved. I remember that there was a huge split in the market where there were shops in Dunbarton and outside of Qilla Base Camp.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    Rhey wrote: »

I see this kind of doom & gloom so much around here but every year mabi outlives the prevs predictions. Hard to take srsly anymore.

I dunno dude, when they laid off Nkeona and someone in the staff posted this recommendation letter of sorts, they referred to this game as late stage. Meaning this game has been around longer than most online games. Every day is borrowed time at this point. We all know nothing lasts forever and someday Mabinogi will shut down. That is for certain. When depends on when Nexon has determined that this game is no longer viable.
    Wolfsinger
  • HelsaHelsa
    Crims wrote: »

I dunno dude, when they laid off Nkeona and someone in the staff posted this recommendation letter of sorts, they referred to this game as late stage. Meaning this game has been around longer than most online games. Every day is borrowed time at this point. We all know nothing lasts forever and someday Mabinogi will shut down. That is for certain. When depends on when Nexon has determined that this game is no longer viable.

I heard they hired one of the two girls back (I forget which) and they're doing night shift.
    Helsa wrote: »

I heard they hired one of the two girls back (I forget which) and they're doing night shift.

Mewlynne who has been doing support.
  • SebastianSebastian
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,870
    edited February 6, 2020

I mean, realistically, this game has been "late stage" for years now. And like Rhey said, we've seen stuff like that said over... and over... and over again. Personally I'm not too focused on the opinion of a staff member, and moreso the consistency that the game hasn't died in times like these. Additionally, and I'm not sure what thread I read this in recently, but Mabinogi is still highly popular in Korea. It's probable they wouldn't axe us until KR was deemed "dead" as well.

7 years now and the fear-mongering hasn't gotten old. Crazy.
    Sherri
    Sebastian wrote: »

I mean, realistically, this game has been "late stage" for years now. And like Rhey said, we've seen stuff like that said over... and over... and over again. Personally I'm not too focused on the opinion of a staff member, and moreso the consistency that the game hasn't died in times like these. Additionally, and I'm not sure what thread I read this in recently, but Mabinogi is still highly popular in Korea. It's probable they wouldn't axe us until KR was deemed "dead" as well.

7 years now and the fear-mongering hasn't gotten old. Crazy.

21st Century Society is all about fear-mongering.
    WolfsingerSherriSebastian