Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Great Era of Commerce Part 2 Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/75598/great-era-of-commerce-part-2-patch-notes-july-28th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Together in Erinn

Comments

  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 21,855
    Posts: 5,079
    Member
    Sherri wrote: »
    OH THANK GOD I KEEP MY NAMES i am unable to handle another one of those name fiascos, literally cannot even imagine it
    anyway.. this merge surprised me as well, im shocked we're getting it
    felt just like yesterday i came back after a hiatus to find Mari, Tarlach and Ruairi merging...

    And we get to finally meet! :) I'll be the tall one with the +Alexina on the end of my name XD
    Sherri
  • MarsBarsFromTheStarsMarsBarsFromTheStars
    Mabinogi Rep: 780
    Posts: 39
    Member
    edited March 24
    Greta wrote: »
    I'm probably the minority here, but these news literally made me upset to the point i'm thinking about quitting Mabinogi for real now. I don't need this merge, i'm not into mood getting botched names and other crap that might break after merge.

    P.S: At this point, i'm giving Mabinogi NA another ~5 years until it's demise. The merge to one server will really show how this game is going to turn totally dead months/years after and there will be no other way to save it anymore.

    Nah, you're not the only one. I definitely am not happy about it either. I'm worried about what Nexon is gonna mess up this time around. I wish they'd leave well enough alone. Not to mention the lag it's gonna bring. I brought this up before, but Mabi can lag my computer when there's not a whole lot of people around, but it's definitely worse when there's more people. Then, everybody and their brother makes alts that create even more lag and block NPCs, which is SUPER annoying. I'm definitely not looking forward to this at all... And really, we can't even keep our names if we're from Alexina? Good job, Nexon, you've done it again. That isn't fair at all. -_-
    SherriWolfsinger
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 21,855
    Posts: 5,079
    Member
    Greta wrote: »
    I'm probably the minority here, but these news literally made me upset to the point i'm thinking about quitting Mabinogi for real now. I don't need this merge, i'm not into mood getting botched names and other crap that might break after merge.

    P.S: At this point, i'm giving Mabinogi NA another ~5 years until it's demise. The merge to one server will really show how this game is going to turn totally dead months/years after and there will be no other way to save it anymore.

    Nah, you're not the only one. I definitely am not happy about it either. I'm worried about what Nexon is gonna mess up this time around. I wish they'd leave well enough alone. Not to mention the lag it's gonna bring. I brought this up before, but Mabi can lag my computer when there's not a whole lot of people around, but it's definitely worse when there's more people. Then, everybody and their brother makes alts that create even more lag and block NPCs, which is SUPER annoying. I'm definitely not looking forward to this at all... And really, we can't even keep our names if we're from Alexina? Good job, Nexon, you've done it again. That isn't fair at all. -_-

    If there is lag they will add more channels. If you must be on channel 1, and only channel 1, all the time, well, then you're not gonna be happy.
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,360
    Posts: 2,746
    Member
    Greta wrote: »
    I'm probably the minority here, but these news literally made me upset to the point i'm thinking about quitting Mabinogi for real now. I don't need this merge, i'm not into mood getting botched names and other crap that might break after merge.

    P.S: At this point, i'm giving Mabinogi NA another ~5 years until it's demise. The merge to one server will really show how this game is going to turn totally dead months/years after and there will be no other way to save it anymore.

    Nah, you're not the only one. I definitely am not happy about it either. I'm worried about what Nexon is gonna mess up this time around. I wish they'd leave well enough alone. Not to mention the lag it's gonna bring. I brought this up before, but Mabi can lag my computer when there's not a whole lot of people around, but it's definitely worse when there's more people. Then, everybody and their brother makes alts that create even more lag and block NPCs, which is SUPER annoying. I'm definitely not looking forward to this at all... And really, we can't even keep our names if we're from Alexina? Good job, Nexon, you've done it again. That isn't fair at all. -_-

    my computer tends to chug a bit too, even with players nearby minimized... im hoping some optimization updates are planned in the future for us too, anything to help with this :(
    Helsa wrote: »
    Sherri wrote: »
    OH THANK GOD I KEEP MY NAMES i am unable to handle another one of those name fiascos, literally cannot even imagine it
    anyway.. this merge surprised me as well, im shocked we're getting it
    felt just like yesterday i came back after a hiatus to find Mari, Tarlach and Ruairi merging...

    And we get to finally meet! :) I'll be the tall one with the +Alexina on the end of my name XD

    yes!! i can show you my Cirno cosplay >: D
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 21,855
    Posts: 5,079
    Member
    Sherri wrote: »
    my computer tends to chug a bit too, even with players nearby minimized... im hoping some optimization updates are planned in the future for us too, anything to help with this :(

    Optimization only helps with per channel lag on those channels with a lot of activity. Overall lag is dealt with by adding more channels.
    Sherri wrote: »
    yes!! i can show you my Cirno cosplay >: D

    You did meet my Nao character. I think it was in your homestead, but I can't remember what you had on. If you are giant allied though I'll be able to carry you. Feel like exploring map glitches?
    Sherri
  • MarsBarsFromTheStarsMarsBarsFromTheStars
    Mabinogi Rep: 780
    Posts: 39
    Member


    [/quote]

    If there is lag they will add more channels. If you must be on channel 1, and only channel 1, all the time, well, then you're not gonna be happy.[/quote]

    I play on Channel 4, I only go on Channel 1 when I want to shop and I definitely don't stay there any longer than I have to.
    MusicatWolfsingergertrude
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 21,855
    Posts: 5,079
    Member
    edited March 24
    Crimsọn wrote: »
    Helsa wrote: »
    Negumiko wrote: »
    Alexina only has about 3 really active channels so I don't think 10 channels will be a problem. Even if it is a issue I doubt we would need anymore then 12 channels max.

    My concern isn't about channels being too busy, my concern is what not having more channels indicates about the health of the game overall.

    It really doesn't because everyone who jumped to Alexina jumped back. There won't be that much of a difference.

    I hope you're right Crimsy. Remember though, my concern is about the optics of it rather than about such pragmatic things as housing all of us. In the case of Nao, SO MANY dormant players logged in during the days right after the merge that they boosted Nao from 7 to 10 channels; remember that? It occurred before Nao was even one week old. There is a chance that could happen again; I'm hoping it does. If they boost Erinn to, say, 14 channels then I'll feel a lot better.
  • pawcalypsepawcalypse
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,505
    Posts: 493
    Member
    I have the same thoughts about the name getting taken away. It's sad that the name I had for so long in-game will have to be replaced especially when I have already met the Nao player that took it. My pets will be getting the same treatment too. Partner-pets will have it worse, the adoption medal can't be used on them.
    If our pets would be allowed to get their name changed for free, like free medals, that would be some kind of relief. I doubt that would even occur, or if it were to happen there wouldn't be enough for all of them.
  • DevotionDevotion
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,395
    Posts: 39
    Member
    edited March 25
    I know without a doubt that my name will be taken.

    ): Hi there, any player can check if their name is taken on the Nao server using the mailbox (on Nao). Attempting to send mail will either confirm a player or pet character name already exists, or confirm a non-existing character. This way people will have no surprises. EDIT: Make sure to check upper-case and lower-case versions.

    0LBu5YA.png

    Since your ign is Typo (found this using your post history), it seemed to be something someone would have taken on the original servers before Alexina was created. Still, I went ahead and attempted to mail Typo on Nao.

    Something that would benefit a lot of players (Nao and Alexina alike) in this upcoming server merge is the separation of pet and character igns. I always thought it was a weird system that pets and characters share the same name pool. I believe if they could somehow delete all pet names and allow you to rename your pets on a separate system it would help all Mabinogi players.

    MusicatcourtneyyWolfsingerSherri
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 21,855
    Posts: 5,079
    Member
    Devotion wrote: »
    Something that would benefit a lot of players (Nao and Alexina alike) in this upcoming server merge is the separation of pet and character igns. I always thought it was a weird system that pets and characters share the same naming system. I believe if they could somehow delete all pet names and allow you to rename your pets on a separate system it would help all Mabinogi players.

    That's because in code they're basically all the same kind of objects. Their records will have a 'secret' field that identifies what specific type they are: Player Character, Non-Player Character (this includes signs, dungeon alters, and possibly all props), player pets (this includes regular pets, partners, and temporary pets like puppets, golems, and tamed mobs) and Non-Player Pets (this includes monsters, those horses and ostriches that you can ride on the G4 map and the jousting horses). When they originally designed the records for these objects they pooched the design so that their name and server of residence had to be a unique combination when it needn't have been that way. This was bad design and everyone involved in development dropped the ball there. It can be fixed. It'll take work though but fortunately Nexon has a whole great big building full of software development teams and the actual source code and everything. They need to fix things so that the implementation is what it should have been from the get-go. That it wasn't has nothing to do with something like the state of hardware at the time or any such notion, they just plain eft up.
  • EraleaEralea
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,785
    Posts: 779
    Member
    Q: Will the Meet-Cute Bracelet/Rose Couple’s Bracelet effect still work after the merge?
    A: We are still confirming the details for the April 14th merge and will update you as soon as possible.

    Please use the solution that you came up with in the last merge, specifically: "(...) all current Meet-Cute Bracelets will be removed, and the Peas in a Pod Gift Box will be distributed back to the character that originally opened the box."

    Please don't put any effort into coming up with a solution more complicated than that. I want my Peas in a Pod box back. I am anti-merge and as far as I'm concerned, this is the only silver lining to this fiasco.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 21,855
    Posts: 5,079
    Member
    If there is lag they will add more channels. If you must be on channel 1, and only channel 1, all the time, well, then you're not gonna be happy.

    I play on Channel 4, I only go on Channel 1 when I want to shop and I definitely don't stay there any longer than I have to.

    Okay, if you're not then especially tied to a particular channel, then adding more channels will solve your concerns. The important thing to help ensure that is that when the merge happens to contact everyone, and their mother, to log in and if necessary just AFK so they have to add more channels. If you were active during Nao's first week you will remember that it was created with 7 channels and long dormant players logged in to have a gawk, and three days later they added 3 more channels.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 21,855
    Posts: 5,079
    Member
    Eralea wrote: »
    Q: Will the Meet-Cute Bracelet/Rose Couple’s Bracelet effect still work after the merge?
    A: We are still confirming the details for the April 14th merge and will update you as soon as possible.

    Please use the solution that you came up with in the last merge, specifically: "(...) all current Meet-Cute Bracelets will be removed, and the Peas in a Pod Gift Box will be distributed back to the character that originally opened the box."

    Please don't put any effort into coming up with a solution more complicated than that. I want my Peas in a Pod box back. I am anti-merge and as far as I'm concerned, this is the only silver lining to this fiasco.

    If that's what they did last time and it worked I should think then that that's what they'll do this time. In typical software fashion this is yet another version of turn-it-off-turn-it-on.
  • MusicatMusicat
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,320
    Posts: 287
    Member
    edited March 25
    Lyni wrote: »
    Why not give Nao players "Name+Nao"?
    Imagine your character becoming Name+Mari+Nao. Joke. It's technically impossible under current circumstances.
    Lyni wrote: »
    Since when was the Alexina playerbase supposed to copy their characters to Nao in psychic anticipation of a second merge?
    Aunt Helsa has been looking forward to it ever since Nao server has appeared.
    whichever of the two accounts is OLDER gets to keep the name
    That's not right as well. Say, someone who created their first character ever in 2010 on Alexina would lose it to a player who started playing in 2009 on Marlairi and created a character with the same name in 2012 or even after the first merge.
    WanderIust wrote: »
    I spent a LOT of money on Name Changes and Pet Medals to remove +Server tags after the Nao merge.
    Wait, weren't the names that got a +Server in the knee automatically freed from having to pay for the first change for each of them?
    pawcalypse wrote: »
    If our pets would be allowed to get their name changed for free, like free medals, that would be some kind of relief.
    As stated above, The Meow is pretty sure that for a period after the first merge there's been a service for those whose names were badly affected, including pets, that allowed to change the +Server-ed names for free once. It might have been a little troublesome or have had some time restrictions though, of which The Meow isn't sure.
  • courtneyycourtneyy
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,235
    Posts: 100
    Member
    I just wanted to say, I've been gone from mabi for year or two now (I lost count), and seeing this post about the merge; I'm really excited and I'll probably stop in again to play!

    I seen alot of posts that were angry about the merge, mostly in regards to names; I think alot of people are not seeing the big picture. This is about bringing the entire playerbase/community together; So what if you need to change your name or live with some minor inconveniences for a while? We should all be excited to finally be able to play together/shop together/enjoy the game together! That's just my two-cents, and I also wanted to say as someone who was part of the initial merge from Tarlach > Nao, it really wasn't that painful. I have to give Nexon some credit here and there eh? :)

    The ONLY thing I'm concerned with is that 10 channels probably will not be enough; Not because they will be filled necessarily, but because if some of us want to chill on a quieter channel it may be a bit more difficult -- especially for field bosses or raids. However, I'm not sure what the actual player counts have been like lately, sooooo I don't want to complain too soon.

    Either way, just wanted to say thank you to the Nexon team for finally doing this. I'm excited, this game has a special place in my heart, and I'm glad to see it's still here <3
    MusicatArtierSherriAmaraz
  • XerterXerter
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,120
    Posts: 24
    Member
    Musicat wrote: »
    As stated above, The Meow is pretty sure that for a period after the first merge there's been a service for those whose names were badly affected, including pets, that allowed to change the +Server-ed names for free once. It might have been a little troublesome or have had some time restrictions though, of which The Meow isn't sure.

    On the FAQ page they say you'll get a free name Change for every +Alexina tag. I am just wondering if they expire at some point. I really can't find any information about that.
  • WanderIustWanderIust
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,290
    Posts: 130
    Member
    edited March 25
    Musicat wrote: »
    Lyni wrote: »
    Why not give Nao players "Name+Nao"?
    Imagine your character becoming Name+Mari+Nao. Joke. It's technically impossible under current circumstances.
    Lyni wrote: »
    Since when was the Alexina playerbase supposed to copy their characters to Nao in psychic anticipation of a second merge?
    Aunt Helsa has been looking forward to it ever since Nao server has appeared.
    whichever of the two accounts is OLDER gets to keep the name
    That's not right as well. Say, someone who created their first character ever in 2010 on Alexina would lose it to a player who started playing in 2009 on Marlairi and created a character with the same name in 2012 or even after the first merge.
    WanderIust wrote: »
    I spent a LOT of money on Name Changes and Pet Medals to remove +Server tags after the Nao merge.
    Wait, weren't the names that got a +Server in the knee automatically freed from having to pay for the first change for each of them?
    pawcalypse wrote: »
    If our pets would be allowed to get their name changed for free, like free medals, that would be some kind of relief.
    As stated above, The Meow is pretty sure that for a period after the first merge there's been a service for those whose names were badly affected, including pets, that allowed to change the +Server-ed names for free once. It might have been a little troublesome or have had some time restrictions though, of which The Meow isn't sure.

    My bad, I meant to say that while I spent money on Paid Name Changes, most of it was on Pet Medals.
    Tagged names were freed after the merge, but it was by first-come-first-serve basis.
    Free name changes were only offered for characters not pets, which is why I had to spend money on Pet Medals to remove the +Server tag.
  • Momma_SophieMomma_Sophie
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,575
    Posts: 290
    Member
    So, you have chosen death.

    Hope your friends lists being green for a few weeks was worth it. You all deserve it.
  • CyroccoCyrocco
    Post: 1
    Member
    I mean, I'm losing a name I've literally used for what- 13 years? To some stranger who probably doesn't even play anymore. On top of that, I'm losing all the notes from years of playing the game, that's a lot of sentimental experiences out the window and I don't even get to be known in game as the same thing.
  • GrimshackleGrimshackle
    Mabinogi Rep: 100
    Posts: 3
    Member
    Can we also get the servers to move from Oregon to somewhere more convenient for the rest of the playerbase like east side of america NY,boston,new jersey for better ping in eu,canada,england and such