Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Filia desert has big hills again

Comments

• FluoretteFluorette
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,840
    To anyone who might be wondering: yes, sand dunes still appear after maintenances and disappear not long after.

I would like to see them stick around, so maybe I'll pitch a suggestion... .... ..... .... eventually . . . . . . . maybe.

And if this counts as a necro bump - it was for an important cause OKAY!
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    Fluorette wrote: »
    To anyone who might be wondering: yes, sand dunes still appear after maintenances and disappear not long after.

I would like to see them stick around, so maybe I'll pitch a suggestion... .... ..... .... eventually . . . . . . . maybe.

And if this counts as a necro bump - it was for an important cause OKAY!

So, the whole desert becomes flat like a parking lot?
    For this next paragraph, I'm not specifically addressing you but 'The Masses'.

As for nerco bumping being a bad thing, I still don't agree. I followed site rules to the letter and produced 14 final merge threads. Was that better? I think it was worse. Others thought so and complained. I think it should be an anything goes policy. You can either start a new topic or bump an old one. Seriously, why is it even considered a problem?
  • ThePravinThePravin
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,380
    Honestly I don't understand how anyone could think making a new thread rather than just posting in an existing one even if it is old. That prevents the same points needlessly being made and its easier for people in the future looking for relevant information.

As for the dunes I really wish they would go back to how they were. Do we even know if the flattening was intentional?
  • FluoretteFluorette
    I've seen un-level parking lots.

As for the necro-bump thing, I personally think it depends on the nature and spirit of the thread. Never mind that, though.

I'm thinking the eventual flattening probably has to do with the intricacies of the Pleione engine. It's something that could be investigated by the development team, but whether or not a (purely visual) feature for a barely visited area is actually worth its time is another thing. The director overseas said the development team is busy with trying to move from DirectX9 to DirectX11 to make way for improvements in graphics and client performance....... So eh.
  • HelsaHelsa
    I've seen un-level parking lots.

As for the necro-bump thing, I personally think it depends on the nature and spirit of the thread. Never mind that, though.

I'm thinking the eventual flattening probably has to do with the intricacies of the Pleione engine. It's something that could be investigated by the development team, but whether or not a (purely visual) feature for a barely visited area is actually worth its time is another thing. The director overseas said the development team is busy with trying to move from DirectX9 to DirectX11 to make way for improvements in graphics and client performance....... So eh.

All parking lots are un-level; they have to drain, but they don't have hills.

Creating caveats about necroing requires more effort by the staff and so shunts decision-making lower down the bureaucracy. This will lead to contradictions which reduces user moral. For managerial purposes, it's better to have a blanket rule. At the moment, that rule is no; I think yes is better.
  • FluoretteFluorette
    ^"user moral" and not "user morale" ?

Post-server merge update: sand dunes still appear in Connous on server Erinn. They still show up after maintenances before the landscape flattens out not long afterwards.

HrANl2H.png

U4j2eNT.png

The wildlife seems happy about it. Keep the sand dunes...
  • HelsaHelsa
    ^"user moral" and not "user morale" ?

Post-server merge update: sand dunes still appear in Connous on server Erinn. They still show up after maintenances before the landscape flattens out not long afterwards.

HrANl2H.png

U4j2eNT.png

The wildlife seems happy about it. Keep the sand dunes...

Oh, for want of an 'e'!

It's surprising that they bothered to program that in.
  • KouyioueKouyioue
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,030
    edited June 30, 2022
    As far as I can tell, Watchtower artifacts only glow when the dunes are up after maintenence too:
    (I mainly hang out at the outskirts of filia so I see the watchtower artifacts often)
    tS3pO9.png

And to derail a bit: An old giant!: tS3KTo.png

And a few more child NPCs wandering around at these trade hubs as well
    It's always nice to see what older characters and children would look like in this game's simple motif artstyle.

Both trade hubs also have their own background music, which is a VERY unique thing to have in the Very Silent Iria region.
    And it's also a very pet friendly experience, practically every NPC has pet-unique dialogue

For now, the musical functionality is a bit broken, and the trade hub music will persist throughout the entire desert and ice regions but only if you visit the trade hubs first to start the bg music playback
    Wolfsinger
  • FluoretteFluorette
    ^ You can make the Watchtower glow if you equip a hot-wind L-rod and use Land Maker to force the sand to rise.

Also, the music functionality has been broken for a while now.... a looooong time. The BGM associated with certain encounters or instances will actually just stick when returning to the general Iria map, even upon changing channels. It's funny.

I've noticed strides have been taken with NPCs in more recent times, which is great. All the new NPCs on the boats and at some of the ports will respond to many of the keywords in the travel log - new keywords and old keywords obtained.

Beyond that: some of the dunes surrounding the Oasis have been cleared to make the whole space less closed, thus easier to pass through when completing commerce runs.

I saw other dunes in the desert in my commerce runs yesterday. Other users probably noticed them too now that there's traffic in the region.
    I didn't notice any sand dunes today, so the landscape might be back to being completely flat now.
  • HelsaHelsa
    I know they released cars in some cross-over event, a long time ago, were any of them dune buggies; that might be fun!
  • KouyioueKouyioue
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,030
    edited March 16, 2023
    Another realization,

Not only do they disappear after a few hours. But now that I've actually CHASED a maintenance period, these hills are insanely big immediately after the server starts. They're huuuuuge right now

Even some of the 'dead grass' texture at the near border of Filia is raised

I think Reus River sometimes messed up as well. Black Buffalo will be normal for a while usually. But if you hang out near the frozen river for too long, it's like every Buffalo spawn in the region eventually glitches into itself and they all spawn at the edge of the river within a tiny 2x2 square meter area. Makes windmill training interesting, but obviously broken
  • FluoretteFluorette
    5 years late, but ..... That's actually good to know since I usually log in right smack after maintenance's completion.
  • HelsaHelsa
    There are other skills training that are enhanced with conveniently clumped monsters; not just Windmill.