Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Mabinogi Direct Launch Ending March 16th

Comments

• GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    Shaeli wrote: »
    Surianna wrote: »
    What are you guys going to do about the players who still run XP instead of 7 or 10? The Launcher will not install on XP. The .exe is the only way to get onto Mabi if you're on XP.

Looks like holdout XP users are getting thrown under the bus.

Oh god... totally forgot that there are still people using XP... You know that old things will get forgotten sooner or later. I swear i heard a rumor that Microsoft no longer updates/supports XP. You should really move to 7 at least.

Eureka12
  • CquilesCquiles
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,455
    the progression of logging in has gone to:

-launch from exe or website, load the pleione engine once, play, log out and log into another account on login screen without needing to reload the engine again for quick play. can relog in quickly if u dc without needing to relaunch client.

-launch from exe, once you dc or need to change accounts you have to reload the whole client and engine, also running 250fps for me in the login screen to strain cpu and overheating

-nexon launcher, slow play button, load engine, have to relaunch client again if u dc or need to change accounts. with events now being 1 main character 1 account exclusive i am discouraged to place different server characters into one account to play with my friends on other servers so i will relaunch client often.

on top of that the engine that used to take my laptop 30 seconds to load now takes 5 minutes bc of updates to the game (to be fair i had 2.0ghz cpu) but i think thats just ugh with all these longer more-loading-time ways you have to log in now and all the needing to relaunch client over and over again for any small mishaps. this mmo is not tera online level but it runs my laptop and my patience ragged like it is. i have to take measures to make sure it doesnt destroy my cpu.

i understand that the above is probably only being done to prevent malicious player activity and this game has grown, but i am growing increasingly frustrated at all these add ons over the years and blockades that hack away at the convenience for just logging in.

tl:dr- launcher is meh ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ i dont mind but i got things to do. hope they make it faster.

Daktaro
  • ScrapScrap
    Mabinogi Rep: 200
    TtwyHX8.jpg

Well that's something; was thinking about getting back into Mabi after a bit of a break so Nexon, I would like to be the first to thank you for forcing me to finally wash my hands with you. I was willing to look past your lack of any good updates to Mabi, the putting items you have to pay for again after drawing them into the gacha, or that bug that locked me out of the game during an event I was interested in with you doing absolutely nothing to rectify the situation but I know how you guys are at anything involving programing or finding outside tech with my last dealing with the Nexon Launcher having me unable to launch Mabinogi from being unable to see it after having launched from it a dozen times before. Gonna suck that I gotta put the effort into finding something cute and supports toast now.
  • Eureka12Eureka12
    Mabinogi Rep: 955
    edited March 2, 2017
    Greta wrote: »

Oh god... totally forgot that there are still people using XP... You know that old things will get forgotten sooner or later. I swear i heard a rumor that Microsoft no longer updates/supports XP. You should really move to 7 at least.

I'm suprise people are still on XP. You would think people have moved on to 7 or up to game. Yes the rumor is true that Microsoft stop supporting XP few years back. I think now they stopped giving Windows 7 users updates and will not support it in about this year or next.
    Greta
  • ScrapScrap
    Mabinogi Rep: 200
    Eureka12 wrote: »

I'm suprise people are still on XP. You would think people have moved on to 7 or up to game. Yes the rumor is true that Microsoft stop supporting XP few years back. I think now they stopped giving Windows 7 users updates and will not support it in about this year or next.

It's because it's good enough and Win10 is while all Windows cost over $100 to get so why bother going up to 7 especially when there's not really any good games still being made that are bothered that much by your outdated OS. Was bullshit how they forced Win7 users into Win10.
  • NegumikoNegumiko
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,765
    Eureka12 wrote: »

Actually the windows 7 updates stop completely in 2020. Windows 10 is okay but it still feels weird to use and has a few problems. I am very happy with Windows 7 and I don't think it is acceptable for any program to force itself onto a computer but luckily it is possible to block Windows 10 completely so it can't just invade my desktop. Mabi runs perfectly fine on Windows 7 and as long as mabi still runs on Steam I will keep playing.
  • Crossx2Crossx2
    Mabinogi Rep: 990
    edited March 2, 2017
    The game has been launchable by exe for a long, long time. Its never caused any issues in my experience, in fact its been used to get around many issues that have arisen over the years with the various other launchers Nexon has tried to make us use. Its frustrating that they try to do things to limit our options like this. Those of us that use the exe to launch do so because it is a simple, quick way to get into the game, as it should be to begin with. Going through 2 or 3 launchers is annoying and there is no reason I know of that we should be forced to do so.

If they're going to take away the ability to directly launch the game then they need to change the way Mabi works with Steam. I play Mabi through Steam, but I use a different account then is linked to my Steam account, and as far as I know there is no way to switch a Steam account once its locked to a Nexon account. This creates a problem when they take away my only one other way to log into the game.
    LiberateEureka12Sherri
  • ParadoxLostParadoxLost
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,575
    edited March 2, 2017
    Arjune wrote: »
    "stay logged in 36 minutes to earn X reward .... only can use nexon launcher soon"

are they trying to weed out people who use multi accounts?

None of this will stop that though.. Even if they do "weed out" those players,
  • DaktaroDaktaro
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,335
    omg no pls... do not want nexon launcher
    been passionately avoiding it this entire time. i know someone who uses it and it was just causing them problems so i was like nope staying away from that.

how is mabi via steam like? should i do that? do i need to uninstall game first to get it via steam? o_o;;
    ehhhhh this sucks
  • XiokunXiokun
    Mabinogi Rep: 11,100
    I see this as Nexon not wanting all their hard work on their launcher to go to waste because people still launch it from the folder. I used it once before and yes, while it was a little longer than the direct exe thing, it looked pretty and clean. :-)

Though I feel some need to calm down. :S it's not that big of a deal.
    Greta
  • RoodlesRoodles
    Mabinogi Rep: 740
    From a business point-of-view, there are many reasons Nexon would want to standardize the way people launch their game. Bug fixing, anti-hacking, and gathering statistics immediately jump to mind. It makes things a lot easier for them if they only have to play around one form of entry.

Barring Steam, of course, but Steam likely implements it's own forms of anti-hacking and information gathering that Nexon is privy to.
  • ArogwenArogwen
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,025
    I have Mabi installed through steam, but usually launch it via .exe because it tend to crash with the steam overlay. I don't want to have to install another copy just to have the launcher, or would it detect my steam install and use it from there? I just find Mabi buggy enough I try to limit the potential avenues for crashing, so I prefer to launch via .exe. Now if Nexon would actually fix the issues that make it crash so I didn't have to treat the game with kid gloves, I'd be fine with whatever.
  • watercat0watercat0
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,855
    Buffalos wrote: »
    Zerukan wrote: »
    Regardless of that though, I still fail to see why so many people hate and simply refuse to use the launcher.

The only excuses for hating it that I've heard boil down to two things:
    1) It's slow
    2) It's """"bloatware""""
    I've never had 1 happen to me, and 2 is just a disgusting misuse of the term. The launcher is small and doesn't install things unless you tell it to. I personally see no reason to hate it, but as you said it's something new and people hate change.

Just like Steam software yet people use it.

anyway i think this happen at nexon:

NX: Valve what is our deal on microtransactions and purchasable items?
    Valve: Give us (X) amount of percentage and all refunds go back to Steam.
    NX: Screw you, that's our business model!
    //That is how Nexon launcher was born//
    [Deleted User]
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,660
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    @Darkpixie99 ~ What legitimate purpose does nw.js serve, regarding Mabinogi?

I'm not asking you what it is, I am asking why you use it.

I have no idea, just pops up when the launcher fails to launch.
    [Deleted User]
  • watercat0watercat0
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,855
    Gaea wrote: »
    Alright alright everyone. I just want to say that this will not effect logging in through Steam. It would be stupid to revoke Steam access and take away additional exposure for the game and this community. Plus that would just take away further revenue from them because of Steam wallet.

My concern was just how far are they going to go with this launcher.

This hasn't help mabinogi, steam never does anything to mmo and servers are still semi-dead.
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    edited March 2, 2017
    Oh my god, why would you merge complaint thread with official one? SMH. SO CONFUSING, MAKE IT STOP!
    [Deleted User]
  • AxelrodAxelrod
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,165
    The heck is a "Nexon Launcher"?
    Darkpixie99
  • SiodhanSiodhan
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,825
    Look, first of all: I use only one nexon game. This one. A mandatory of the nexon launcher is utterly damn stupid. Why use a launcher for a single game if you can..I don't know, launch the game itself instead of launching a launcher that launches the game? Really?

Secondly, it freaking adds even more lag than this broken game already has. WHY? I already crash in every SM possible and can no longer enter taillteann and tara since at least a year ago and you've never wanted to "fix" that now freaking did you? But no, better pull this kind of a stunt. Obviously that helps everyone.

Thirdly, there have often been issues with either the launcher or the non-launcher. Having been able to switch between the two has often provided solutions to problems that should NEVER HAVE EXISTED IN THE FIRST PLACE, but somehow always do. Every few updates. Just like how various OSes kept getting locked out of the game for months on end.

It's only by a miracle that I may be getting a better computer soon. Without that, your unrelenting "idgaf" philosophy towards older machines (despite them being able to graphically able to handle your game JUST DAMN FINE) would probably soon cause me to be unable play the game altogether. Maybe others too. But who cares about the customers too poor to gamble anyway, right? Drop what you can't milk.

Also, yes I know, the salt is real. Try keeping the community of a neglected game active and showing your support by playing unlike a lot of others, but being constantly spat in the face and having to restart for at least 20 minutes a day for every few minutes you play, for over a year, then getting this kind of dung flung at you next.
    MediaKleptobadnewsbarrett
  • GTCvActiumGTCvActium
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,125
    I would like to add my experience with the Nexon Launcher, a friend of mine was looking to get into the game and had an old computer the wanted to install Mabinogi on (its an old XP computer) and I found after many tries and fixes the launcher is simply incompatible with XP. Since my friend does not want to spend the extra cash for a brand new computer or having to buy a new OS, I told him that I would see if I can get the game running on a Linux based system. After doing some research and switching the machine to Linux, I found that the Nexon launcher does not work well with Linux systems either, and a great deal more effort was required to get it running. I told my friend that the new policies of the Nexon Launcher just simply required Windows 7 and up. My friend said it was fine, and has since moved on to playing other games. For those that state that the Nexon Launcher works for them, please understand that no all users are as fortunate. Some have special circumstances and special set ups that are required to run the game, the discontinuation of the Direct launcher will render some users unable to play, and as demonstrated by previous Nexon practices, these users will not see any solutions to their problem, this in turn will turn off those loyal player bases. Another concern is the resource consumption presented by the new Launcher itself, as some people stated, they do not have the luxury of affording a better machine and just meet the requirements to run the game successfully, this adds a burden on those people and will gradually turn them off. While the streamline approach is a good thought, it should not be the only option.

Simply put, the Nexon Launcher is very inconvenient for sizable portion of the player and consumer base, a move like this will not only turn off current players but also put up a barrier for future and prospective players that have a interest in the game.
    MediaKleptoCquilesSherrieikodenHiroki05
  • MediaKleptoMediaKlepto
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,865
    I actually went so far as to send a support ticket questioning whether or not Steam users will even be able to launch after the update. Submitted it about 10 hours ago and it was viewed 4 hours later. I have no idea if it's going to get answered or not, but it's the only thing I could think to do for confirmation, since Steam in its own right directly launches the game the same way we do, but through its own Mabinogi.exe in its own folder.

I've got 3 BRAND NEW PLAYERS who I advised to use Steam instead of the launcher because of the issues other friends have with it, and I can almost guarantee they'll quit if it means redownloading the whole damn thing. A simple proof positive if all of those running to Steam are ”safe” or not is honestly necessary at this point. ”It should be” just is NOT ENOUGH when it comes to Nexon. We're a group of friends irl and a few of us were going to surprise them with NX cards to use for pets, but if this is what the game is amounting to we'd be better off telling them to run while they have a chance.
    badnewsbarrett