Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!
Closed

Advancement Test Tips and Tricks

KokoroKokoro
Mabinogi Rep: 3,155
edited August 23, 2017 in General Chat
We've all probably had a few Dans under our belt and some of them are trickier to SS rank than others. Please share your experiences with the skills you've advanced to encourage (or discourage) everyone to get their Dans!

Act 6: Crisis

The objective of this test is to pull the enemies in the room with Crisis into little offering circles. The foxes in this test don't attack you and they will just circle around you once they aggro. While it's tempting to Crisis all of them into the circle at once, I recommend attempting to only pull 2 or 3 at a time just in order to reset the cooldown as you don't get any bonus points for pulling 10 at once. Once there are too few foxes left or they are spread too far apart, Wire Pull is your best friend as it has good range thus preventing you from wasting time chasing the enemies down.

Dan 1 visual effect: The puppet strings used for the Crisis pull are pink/red instead of the usual blue.

Magnum Shot

This was a tricky one. I failed 2 times and barely passed with A rank for Dan 1. You are given a bow and a crossbow for this so use whichever you prefer. The first wave is fairly simple and there shouldn't be any problems Magnum Shotting the Gremlins one by one. Round 2 sucks. You are up against Imps and Flying Swords who like to spam lightning bolt and take 3 Magnums in order to dispatch. They also multi aggro in case it wasn't hard enough. The third round is Rat men who multi aggro and try to punch you.

In this test you are kinda encouraged to get close to enemies so your aiming is faster (thus not wasting too much time. You only get 5 minutes after all). At the same time it also punishes you for getting too close and aggroing too many things at once. What I liked doing was using Crash Shot (whaaat!? This is a Magnum Shot test dummy) in order to damage multiple enemies and so they fall to the Magnums quicker. Also pick up all HP potions that drop because the enemies do a lot of damage.

Dan 1 visual effect: a small red explosion happens at the point on impact of the shot.
PanRainthesword

Comments

• RheyRhey
    Mabinogi Rep: 10,175
    Fireball-
    Stay in a corner and fireballllllllllllll+Snap cast and Fireballlllllllll. Rinse repeat for every crystal/wave.

Kunai-
    Shadow+storm+drop aggro with cloak+rinse repeat- eazy peazy

Smash-
    Smash allllllllllll the things-nuff said

SR-
    Rush run to a corner rush again rinse and repeat.

That's all I've gotten so far.
    Rainthesword
  • SugarAngelSugarAngel
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,220
    Windmill:

Try and get into positions where you'll be hitting large numbers of monsters, otherwise, reposition correctly and try not to use other skills - By the time you get to ratmen you should have 9k or 10k points.
    Darkfire16
  • Darkfire16Darkfire16
    Mabinogi Rep: 740
    edited August 21, 2017
    Charging Strike:

Don't use your other chains. When you get a kill, your chain resets, so you can hit ESC and cancel the current chain you have going and keep spamming Charging Strike.

What you might need however is to have defense and counterattack at the ready, because these guys ping. A LOT. You don't need to kill them with a fighter attack to reset the chain, so if you hit one with CS and it pings, ready counterattack to get that last hit in and keep going. The rest of it from there on is how fast you can keep charge striking.

Spinning Uppercut:

Same as charging strike, except you're going to stop your chains after uppercut. Utilize focused fist and charging strike to set up your chains and get through to stage 2 as fast as possible. This test is a bit critical-hit reliant because unlike Charging Strike, this is Chain Stage 2 and takes longer to setup, so you're not going to get as many hits in.

Pummel:

This one is HEAVILY critical hit reliant to attain a good score, but you can still control it somewhat by using uppercut instead of somersault kick. Somersault takes way longer to go through it's animation, and in that sense you are wasting time. The chain you want to be using to save time is:
    Charging Strike > Spinning Uppercut > Pummel. (Hah, because they're all dannable. I see what you did there nexon.)
    This chain gets you to chain stage 3 [pummel] as fast as possible, so that way you can get to use pummel more times, granting you a higher score. SS rank on this one is going to take an insane amount of luck. Crits give more points.

Update: The monster pattern seems to be the same throughout the test. I found a more efficient way to save time. Since chain skills reset upon a single kill, use charging strike for the first goblin hunter, then hit ESC to reset your chain and keep charging striking the goblins until there's only one left. Use the last goblin hunter in that spawn to get you to the 3rd chain, then use Pummel on the giant orge. He has a large health pool so you can get all three pummel hits off even if you crit. A crit on the last hit of pummel usually grants 800 - 1000 points.
    lceCreamPan6f0909Sheena
  • ShouKShouK
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,735
    The more I read about these tests, the more I feel discouraged; it looks like these tests heavily punished those playing with lag. Failed like 6 times for combat mastery test because I can only managed to get 5k points, I can't cope with the wave after the flying swords. They multiaggroed me and since I can't like load counterattack and windmill in like 1 second, I can't manage the multi aggro and ended up dying or barely scored any points for during that wave. How do people playing with like 300++ ping manage this??
    Kokoro
  • FeliceFelice
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,790
    I have a minor update for the Combat Mastery Tests. The whole point of the Dan Tests for Combat Mastery is to just do Melee Damage, not necessarily kill. So... That being said, Windmill is your friend in this test. Get in clusters of 2-3 and windmill away, grabbing HP potions as you go. Mix this with Assault Slash and Smash for finishers and you should have a full Minute to Minute : Thirty on the Lycanthrope at the end, which is not meant to be killed but used as a punching bag.

This is an almost guaranteed method of getting at least 10k points for the Combat Mastery Tests, which gives SS at Dan 1, S at Dan 2, and S at Dan 3
  • ShouKShouK
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,735
    Liyeta wrote: »
    ShouK wrote: »
    The more I read about these tests, the more I feel discouraged; it looks like these tests heavily punished those playing with lag. Failed like 6 times for combat mastery test because I can only managed to get 5k points, I can't cope with the wave after the flying swords. They multiaggroed me and since I can't like load counterattack and windmill in like 1 second, I can't manage the multi aggro and ended up dying or barely scored any points for during that wave. How do people playing with like 300++ ping manage this??

Hmm 277 ping here. Pretty much counter, assault, windmill, smash, and repeat.
    277 ping is already heaven for me..
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,155
    My problem is I can't seem to crit enough. :(
  • MaiaMaia
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,195
    edited August 21, 2017
    Gaea wrote: »
    My problem is I can't seem to crit enough. :(

Try critting more.

That's about it, the whole test system is somewhat luck based on crit and positioning
  • TheDumbOneTheDumbOne
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,790
    edited August 21, 2017
    sandburst is impossible- you CAN NOT get enough points. im serious.
    i did 3-4 waves without sandburst and got 190 points
    i did sandburst without getting hit, ONLY for 3,000 points.
    DAN 1
    -nvm i got it, just gotta blind them. not kill any with sandburst, just successfulblindes.- i got 1,100
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    Best tip when you go to Advancement Test is...

Just spam the skill you want to Dan and grab all those 300 HP potions. If you spam Magic skills like Ice Spear, Fireball or Thunder then grab 300 MP potions as well.

Good luck.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,045
    Magic craft:
    >Craft everything as fast as possible.
    If you get Bhafel huntress, restart :^)
  • IyasenuIyasenu
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,265
    Anyone got tips for Lightning Rod?

I couldn't figure out how the cooldown reset works for that.
    And for Lightning Rod, it seems pretty important.

Felt kind of like every 2 kills the cooldown would reset, but...
  • RedetsuRedetsu
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,190
    Are there any tips for healing? My cousin is having trouble getting the SS rank due to the gutsy chick and red bear mostly defending and not attacking.
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    Redetsu wrote: »
    Are there any tips for healing? My cousin is having trouble getting the SS rank due to the gutsy chick and red bear mostly defending and not attacking.

Try to poke them a bit so they would stop using Defense?
  • OriaOria
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,310
    Greta wrote: »
    Redetsu wrote: »

Try to poke them a bit so they would stop using Defense?

I can't do that >.<
    Attacking the bear at all finishes the test.
    So I'm mainly waiting sadly..
  • PomatoesPomatoes
    Mabinogi Rep: 250
    Any pro Archers out there got that Dan 3 Magnum yet...? Cause I feel like it's near impossible to do. I just barely managed the 9k points needed to hit Dan 2, but now goin for Dan 3, we needa get 12k points for SS rank and that just seems nearly impossible to get unless you manage to get through without missing a single shot AND get enough crits to finish mobs quick enough to reach the Ratmen for bonus points on kills.
    iMattxC
  • CarlizeCarlize
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,840
    Hillwen Engineering = Just buy materials from the NPC and craft what you're told to. I had to make about 12 emerald fuses, 6 pilgrim swords, and 2 languhiris bone-breakers for dan 1.

Flash Launcher = flash launching outside of the circle reset cooldown, so just doing that a bunch was simple enough. There was 1 red guy per wave who only took 1 damage to melee, so I just WOTG him and then when the next round spawned killed the red guy first before WOTG ended.

Shooting Rush = Shooting rush the masses, and try to aim for the little portal sized circle, which reset cooldown.
  • MazanakiMazanaki
    Mabinogi Rep: 765
    Any tips for lightning rod? I haven't gotten past 5k and it seems impossible to pass.
  • NanocaNanoca
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,245
    ShouK wrote: »

Wait til you get mob lag, trying to 'dan counterattack.
    Hard to counter anything, when they just sit there, or take forever to spawn between rounds.

• OriaOria
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,310
    edited August 21, 2017
    Potion Making:
    Oh..my..Lymilark.. This was the most panic inducing advancement test minigame I've ever seen. o.o;;

Concept: Make potions for the NPCs in need, and give it to them when needed to gain points. If you need more herbs or materials, you can talk to the tester npc and purchase more. Points are earned if and only if the correct potion is given to the NPC and it heals them for that said amount. (If the NPC has 450/500 HP and you give an HP 100 potion, then you don't get points)

First things first, go to the tester npc and buy water bottles. >.<;;
    You start with 20 of each herb, including garbage, mandrake, white, and poison. Drop them, they are not needed for dan 1.
    Make each 100 HP/SP/MP potion with the base potions included at the beginning, but not one at a time, no time to queue, make in bulk. Trust me..
    Antidote potions could wait till around halfway, but it's okay to make them early when it's not hectic.

Okay now the actual test. ^.^;;

Starts off with one NPC and another spawns over time.
    First Npc is simple, Adventure Guy I think is the name. His HP drains the entire time, and walks around.
    Second NPC is Hyper Girl, the little girl in blue with the hummingbird wings that runs around the tree in Festia. Her MP drains and she runs around.
    Third NPC, I think is named Fatique guy? His SP drains and slowly walks around.

Okay so that's the easy part...This isn't in any order since I was running around for most of it and wasn't looking at the names. ;;>.>

A girl in a orange tiger robe that also has HP draining and moves around a bit.
    A giant who barely moves and talk about his stomach. (This is were the antidote is used)
    A blue hair girl student that has MP draining.

So, there's 6 NPCs moving around in the testing area that you have to give potions to while something of them is draining for 5 minutes.

Now, when I say "give", I don't mean click on them and a dialogue comes up that asks if you want to give them a potion...
    You have to open inventory, take the potion, and click them with it, just like when you give stationary NPCs the likeability potions, except they're moving...so you can drop the potion or get the "You're not close to target" message. >.<;;

So what happens when an NPC is completely drained?
    They faint, preventing you from giving them anymore potions for the rest of the test, and a point penalty.
    And that's why it's panic inducing ^.^;;

Whew, such a long post, but I tried my best to explain.
    [Deleted User]RaintheswordSherri
This discussion has been closed.