Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!
Closed

Advancement Test Tips and Tricks

Comments

• Narutofire18Narutofire18
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,435
    Iyasenu wrote: »
    Have you also changed to bare hands, so Magic Weapon Mastery doesn't make your bolt stronger?
    It could make the monsters last even longer.

But... can you even get enough points like that, if you put off reaching the golems that much?

I actually hadn't ever considered doing this. It may be helpful - but reducing the cast range of the bolt spells means you may have to spend more time walking between far ends of the test to hit some mobs, which could get you aggro'd... situational, I think. For the golems, definitely don't do it. The sooner they die, the better, and being able to hit them from further away gives you more leeway with readying Counter, especially with lag.

Of course, it's possible to do the tests entirely without this. Once I record the Icebolt test (after the maint today), I'll link it to my guide and also comment the link into this thread.
  • logomyegologomyego
    Mabinogi Rep: 595
    Iyasenu wrote: »

You're spawning same-element monsters to make them last longer?

Have you also changed to bare hands, so Magic Weapon Mastery doesn't make your bolt stronger?
    It could make the monsters last even longer.

But... can you even get enough points like that, if you put off reaching the golems that much?

Yes, I was spawning same element monsters. I just tried that suggestion about switching to bare hands too. I hit a lag spike after a minute and 10 seconds which effectively killed the run. At that time I had around 1500 points. So 1500 points in 70 seconds comes out to be ~21.5 points per second. Assuming you can keep that rate going for the entirety of the test, that comes out to be 6450 points at the end of the 5 minutes. Far from the 12k you need for Dan 3.

Doing what I was originally doing, I tried just spamming single charge lightning bolts, using snapcast to hit small groups and charging more than one when I could. I got to the golem with 6250 points and 1 min left to go. After using counter and snapcasted firebolts to keep the golem at bay while trying to get 1 charge lightning bolts in, I managed to muster up 8500 points. Still far from what is needed for Dan 3. The golem's mana deflector is too evil to reach 12k points.
  • TNinjaTNinja
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,265
    I think poaching should be legal and rewarded, and I now believe chicken farms did nothing wrong.

So far the only tip I have about healing Dan 3 is to heal up to 80%, so get the bonus healing points after the chick takes three hits.
    I've uploaded a video example of my lightningbolt strategy. It's been added to my guide. Here's a direct link:

https://youtu.be/QH1wTLYgGRY
    lceCream
  • logomyegologomyego
    Mabinogi Rep: 595
    I've uploaded a video example of my lightningbolt strategy. It's been added to my guide. Here's a direct link:

https://youtu.be/QH1wTLYgGRY

I am extremely jealous of how smooth your gameplay is. My counter especially doesn't load that quick when the golem bull rushes. It takes a good solid 1-2 seconds for mine. Plus your lightning bolts start charging before your character becomes stationary again. I guess it goes to show what lag really does to the game.
  • TNinjaTNinja
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,265
    edited September 15, 2017
    Ok there must have been a ninja update here.

For the few weeks I've been attempting Dan 3 Healing, the bear always did deal constant damage of around 70% on the chick with three hits.

Now after the maintenance, the bear starts doing between 80 to 90% on three hits.
    No criticals.

This makes doing the distress healing EVEN HARDER.

Thanks NEXON. Good job making a "test" that's not even a test, even harder than it actually isn't.
    edited September 15, 2017
    Here's the Icebolt video, also added to my guide:

https://youtu.be/-TSLU2wdfXs
  • ShaeliShaeli
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,430
    TNinja wrote: »
    I think poaching should be legal and rewarded, and I now believe chicken farms did nothing wrong.

So far the only tip I have about healing Dan 3 is to heal up to 80%, so get the bonus healing points after the chick takes three hits.

The sweet spot is right in the 75-80% range; higher and a combo won't drop it below 20%, lower and you risk the chicken dying, in which case you might as well restart. It took me probably 40-50 tries to get two successes in. >_<
  • RheyRhey
    Mabinogi Rep: 10,175
    This thread shuld be stickied @ this point. Just sayin.
    Raishii
  • ShaeliShaeli
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,430
    edited September 17, 2017
    Sunny974 wrote: »
    Shuriken Charge: For my Dan 3, I always charge my shurikens whenever i hit a target to make sure i'll one hit it. Unless the target is low health and doesn't need charge.

I group the mobs to get splash and use shadow bind and hold them. Then full charge if possible.

I also use explosive kunai to slow down the enemies so i can hit them once and start charging my shuriken without getting disrupted.

I try to target the imps first because they won't attack me and they'll walk towards the mobs, therefore more splash points.

I can't even get up to 8000 points, let alone 12000. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. A full power shuriken charge only does like 3500 damage non-crit, crits don't happen enough to rely on, and the mobs in the test have like 10000 HP. Just can't get in enough kills, because every second I'm waiting for the skill to cooldown is a second I'm not getting points.
  • PolicromaPolicroma
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,730
    I've been having a hell of a time with the Magnum Dan 3 test and I'm already millions down over it.

I've tried both bow and crossbow.

I've tried running up in their face.

I've tried shot of god. (With both bow and crossbow.)

I've tried both with and without crash shot.

I've tried leveling up the other ranged skills to dan 3. (They were cake.)

I just can't get to those dang rats in a reasonable amount of time, if I get to them at all. Thought maybe it was because my urgent shot was lagging, but I think I've resolved that and I still can't get to them.

Seriously, I can't imagine doing this on a human. It's bad enough on an elf.
  • HawlkkHawlkk
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,000
    any tips for shooting rush dan 3? Im having trouble with that x.x
  • PolicromaPolicroma
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,730
    edited September 19, 2017
    I'm hoping this will help others.

Some guildies helped me figure out why I was having so much trouble with Dan 3 magnum.

If you watch YouTube videos of people who succeed, you'll notice that their skills chain smoothly into each other, like sliding on ice.

My problem was every skill was followed up by a regular ranged attack, which I would waste precious seconds fighting off by mashing the skill I actually wanted on the keyboard. And while I was fighting with the computer on what skill I wanted loaded, I'd usually get kicked around like a soccer ball by multiaggro. Without my usual array of skills available, and trying to restrict myself to magnum as much as possible, I couldn't rack up the points. This isn't something that gives me trouble in the normal game either.

A guildie made the observation that regular ranged attack won't queue up if you fire your loaded ranged skill with the hotkey on the keyboard instead of the mouse, and I should try that. Suddenly my skills also chained together perfectly, smooth as butter.

Went from not being able to break 7k to easy 11400 just making only that change.

I know there has to be others having trouble, so if you use the mouse to fire ranged skills in normal combat, just remember this isn't normal combat. Fire with the hotkey. (I also made liberal use of "Shot of God".)

Update: As of this morning...

6940acadd9.jpg

lceCreamImaizumi
  • GTCvActiumGTCvActium
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,125
    edited September 21, 2017
    I was wondering if anyone has done dan 3 charge. When I was doing dan 2 for it I was only able to get to 9k points at best and playing aggressively. Anyone have advice on getting 12k points?
  • IyasenuIyasenu
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,265
    GTCvActium wrote: »
    I was wondering if anyone has done dan 3 charge. When I was doing dan 2 for it I was only able to get to 9k points at best and playing aggressively. Anyone have advice on getting 12k points?

Rush to the rounds with archers and hope you can get a lot of points by blocking their ranged attacks? :sweat:
  • NomnomnomsNomnomnoms
    Mabinogi Rep: 840

I just Dan 3'd Charge on my giant. It took me around ~10 resets to kind of figure this one out, haha.

My biggest piece of advice would be to pick up the Stamina potions as you go. Dan Charge uses up a lot of stamina, and the first time I did this test I ran out of stam with two minutes left. That really put the brakes on that particular attempt XD

For the first round, I charge spammed two gremlins to death before the aggro of both monsters kick in. When they both aggro, I would eliminate the gargs/grems normally until only ~2 monsters left, then charge spam those.

For the second round, charge spam the flying swords to death first, until a wisp starts to aggro you. When that happens, try to eliminate the swords while keeping the aggroed wisp at bay with WM. When the swords are all taken care of, proceed to charge spam all wisps to oblivion.

On the third wave, go straight to the biggest clump of fish and WM right away. That should keep the aggro state on most fish to stay on alert, instead of aggressive. At this point, feel free to charge spam the fish for points. If its gone well, you can get around 12k points with ~45 seconds left. c:

Hope this helps; good luck!
  • GTCvActiumGTCvActium
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,125
    Nomnomnoms wrote: »

I just Dan 3'd Charge on my giant. It took me around ~10 resets to kind of figure this one out, haha.

My biggest piece of advice would be to pick up the Stamina potions as you go. Dan Charge uses up a lot of stamina, and the first time I did this test I ran out of stam with two minutes left. That really put the brakes on that particular attempt XD

For the first round, I charge spammed two gremlins to death before the aggro of both monsters kick in. When they both aggro, I would eliminate the gargs/grems normally until only ~2 monsters left, then charge spam those.

For the second round, charge spam the flying swords to death first, until a wisp starts to aggro you. When that happens, try to eliminate the swords while keeping the aggroed wisp at bay with WM. When the swords are all taken care of, proceed to charge spam all wisps to oblivion.

On the third wave, go straight to the biggest clump of fish and WM right away. That should keep the aggro state on most fish to stay on alert, instead of aggressive. At this point, feel free to charge spam the fish for points. If its gone well, you can get around 12k points with ~45 seconds left. c:

Hope this helps; good luck!

I don't think I can use that strategy since I'm human, my charge damage is only half of what a giant can be. So to make kills mine would take 2x more hits to actually kill.
  • IyasenuIyasenu
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,265
    So...
    Has anyone else noticed that for the magic dan tests, if you destroy the firebolt-using crystal for the 3rd round to spawn Fire Sprites and Giant Fire Sprites...
    The Giant Fire Sprites have... no AI?
    They don't ever do anything.
    No firebolt, no fireball, no normal attack, not even aggro!
    They never fight back.

I mean, it makes them a great choice for 3rd spawn when doing the non-fire-element magic tests.
    But, I'm guessing that's not how it's supposed to be?
    Reminds me of the Hawk/Bear boss for the Elf/Giant G2 Mythril Armor Dungeon.
  • FakehoundFakehound
    Mabinogi Rep: 200
    edited September 24, 2017
    Here are some tips for sand burst that I've found, if you sand burst an enemy that is not currently blinded, it will reset your skill, and if you blind 5 within 8 seconds(for dan 3), you'll get 500 points, so you need clusters. Also don't just kill the blinkers, they stay blinded for ages, and even towards the end of the test, leaving them all alive, I can still toggle through them without worry of getting caught in their beam. Basically just blind blinkers before they stop shaking around, and just go after the shadow spawns then blinkers as they spawn, and get ready to stop shaking.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    Ugh!!! 11888 so freaking close to Dan 3 combat mastery. FML!!!
This discussion has been closed.