Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Steampunk is going to be...

Comments

• HellkaizerHellkaizer
    Mabinogi Rep: 11,305
    Gaea wrote: »
    Gacha. Smh.

I can't tell you how disappointed I am. I think I might actually quit over this. We will see.

No you won't. Also, is this any surprise? If the outfit bag was lets say even $15 and 300 people buy it that's $4500, and I'm confident that that's a pretty generous estimate. A whale that I knew spends between $300-$700 and there's several whales that spend just as much, if not more. That's not even counting the average person who will buy a handful, or a single stack of 10. We would get outfit bags if people bought them, but they simply don't. I can't really recall any outfit bag doing that well, nor do I see people using outfit bag outfits.

That being said, I wish we got outfit bags. I don't like that literally every fashion item coming out is gacha, minus the duffel coat box which I think is pretty nice, along with the twilight robes too.

IANAL, but the laws being passed about gambling, there's going to be a loophole somewhere or a slight change so it's the same thing just a different flavour.
  • VaughanVaughan
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,015
    edited November 29, 2017
    Hellkaizer wrote: »
    IANAL, but the laws being passed about gambling, there's going to be a loophole somewhere or a slight change so it's the same thing just a different flavour.

The UK Gambling Commission already determined loot boxes don't meet the criteria to be considered gambling because "the prizes unlocked in loot boxes are usable only in the games in which they're won, and can't be cashed-out". So, they're probably pretty much washing their hands of it unless loot boxes cross a specific fine line.

And the ESRB already weighed in on it with more or less the same mindset:
    "While there's an element of chance in these mechanics, the player is always guaranteed to receive in-game content (even if the player unfortunately receives something they don't want). We think of it as a similar principle to collectible card games: Sometimes you'll open a pack and get a brand new holographic card you've had your eye on for a while. But other times you'll end up with a pack of cards you already have."

EDIT: Forgot the bit where some Hawaii lawmaker wanted to do something about loot boxes, but it was just about restricting the sale of loot boxes to people under 21, not about banning their sale all together.
    BuffalospawcalypseHellkaizer
  • EllisyaEllisya
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,525
    Same people, Same Reaction, Same Postings/Threads.
    Not even surprised.
    KageitopawcalypseVeylaineTheOthicVaughanNilremHellkaizerAstralBlueYokkaichiPolicromaand 5 others.
  • SiodhanSiodhan
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,825
    edited November 29, 2017
    @Vaughan It's funny how the example by ESRB and the supposed line you have to cross for it to be gambling are in direct opposition. Cards definitely get sold.

In fact..items from games are also being sold for real money. Not that it's legal, but the fact that you can and people apparently do doesn't matter.
  • TheOthicTheOthic
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,525
    edited November 29, 2017
    Buffalos wrote: »

Japan and Korea are not going to magically change how things work just because some Western company basically killed their model overseas. If anything, they'd either give the NA Nexon branch full reign over the game here or shut us down because we're too small.
    That's all assuming that the legal system actually accomplishes anything at all after the media buzz wears off and the next big story hits.

Well hey whether the game dies or not at least these gacha whining cry babies will get what they wanted :smirk:
    though they aren't as bad as the idiots who occasionally push for a server merge.
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    Lmao, i'm more impressed by people who whine about others whining about too much gachas. This is effing entertaining.

yNiBv8S.gif

10/10 forums.
    TheOthicpawcalypseCrimsọnVeylaineSherri
  • TheOthicTheOthic
    Greta wrote: »
    Lmao, i'm more impressed by people who whine about others whining about too much gachas. This is effing entertaining.

yNiBv8S.gif

10/10 forums.

KAML_f-maxage-0.gif
  • VaughanVaughan
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,015
    Siodhan wrote: »
    @Vaughan It's funny how the example by ESRB and the supposed line you have to cross for it to be gambling are in direct opposition. Cards definitely get sold.

In fact..items from games are also being sold for real money. Not that it's legal, but the fact that you can and people apparently do doesn't matter.

The trading card becomes your property when you purchase it, tho, so it's technically no different than reselling a game or any other item at a garage sale, unlike conventional gambling where it's usually just straight up cash. :/

RMT is a whole nother problem lol.
    VeylaineTrythis
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165

yNiBv8S.gif

10/10 forums.

Seriously. XD
  • BuffalosBuffalos
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,795
    edited November 29, 2017
    Siodhan wrote: »

If the means to do such sales are not included in the game/condoned by the game's host, it really can't be made the fault of the host that others do it. Now if there were an in-game market place where IRL exchanges could be made and are fully supported by the host, that's where this applies:
    Vaughan wrote: »
    The UK Gambling Commission already determined loot boxes don't meet the criteria to be considered gambling because "the prizes unlocked in loot boxes are usable only in the games in which they're won, and can't be cashed-out".
    and that would be where the UK commission could really get involved.
    TheOthic wrote: »
    Well hey whether the game dies or not at least these gacha whining cry babies will get what they wanted :smirk:
    though they aren't as bad as the idiots who occasionally push for a server merge.

Just because someone's opinion is different from your's does not make them stupid. The server merge crowd has valid concerns, and so do the gacha-opposition members.
    SebastianCrimsọnVaughanVeylaine
  • TheOthicTheOthic

Just because someone's opinion is different from your's does not make them stupid. The server merge crowd has valid concerns, and so do the gacha-opposition members.

yeah having little to no gacha influx or a server merge can be beneficial to the game. The reason I think they are foolish is because its a futile attempt to do it over and over again on the forums. Yes they "read" these but even if they did im pretty sure they are aware of people wanting a merge or some peoples discontent with too much gachas to where it gets a point of boy here we go again. its obvious NA cant fold nexon over.

Beating a dead horse imo :smirk:
  • SylviaWolfeSylviaWolfe
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,310

yNiBv8S.gif

10/10 forums.

How meta can we get with the whining? We must go deeper...
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    That may be. But we aren't going to give up. There are lots of things that they have addressed that we kept beating a dead horse for. It just takes persistence and patience. We are never discouraged by people like you.
    TheOthicVeylaineMizukiHayama
  • TheOthicTheOthic
    Gaea wrote: »
    That may be. But we aren't going to give up. There are lots of things that they have addressed that we kept beating a dead horse for. It just takes persistence and patience. We are never discouraged by people like you.

Fair enough. I guess its admirable you people are that determined, considering how bad the drum has been brought out.
    img60119723.png

SylviaWolfeMizukiHayama
  • CrittenzCrittenz
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,220
    I'm really not surprised that it's a Gacha and honestly if all people wanted were the outfits then outfit bags would make more sense, but there is more than just outfits in the steampunk thing and more than just outfits in any Gacha. I am a personal fan of getting new armor, some training pots, and as many gold boxes as I'm lucky enough to make off with. So I usually buy gacha to see what I get, things I don't want I can sell and things I didn't get I can find someone to buy from. Lots of things I can do to make in game gold. So put simple Gacha works and cause it works people aren't gonna stop buying it and Nexon isn't going to stop selling it.
  • HellkaizerHellkaizer
    Vaughan wrote: »

The UK Gambling Commission already determined loot boxes don't meet the criteria to be considered gambling because "the prizes unlocked in loot boxes are usable only in the games in which they're won, and can't be cashed-out". So, they're probably pretty much washing their hands of it unless loot boxes cross a specific fine line.

And the ESRB already weighed in on it with more or less the same mindset:
    "While there's an element of chance in these mechanics, the player is always guaranteed to receive in-game content (even if the player unfortunately receives something they don't want). We think of it as a similar principle to collectible card games: Sometimes you'll open a pack and get a brand new holographic card you've had your eye on for a while. But other times you'll end up with a pack of cards you already have."

EDIT: Forgot the bit where some Hawaii lawmaker wanted to do something about loot boxes, but it was just about restricting the sale of loot boxes to people under 21, not about banning their sale all together.

I was thinking something along the lines of "if you open 100 gacha you get X item" and then it's no longer gambling. Either way...
    Real world trading is a different beast all together. Yes it exists, but since it's against ToS you can't really take that into legal consideration when it's already illegal. I do wish we had an ingame way of selling NX similar to bonds in runescape, time tokens in wow, apex in archeage etc...

This is also much different than a server merge, which we know from KR is entirely possible. Having a server merge to boost population and bring the community closer together is a lot different than whether or not you can get the latest outfit in a bag or gacha.
  • TheOthicTheOthic
    edited November 29, 2017
    @Hellkaizer

yeah having little to no gacha influx or a server merge can be beneficial to the game. The reason I think they are foolish is because its a futile attempt to do it over and over again on the forums. Yes they "read" these but even if they did im pretty sure they are aware of people wanting a merge or some peoples discontent with too much gachas to where it gets a point of boy here we go again. its obvious NA cant fold nexon over.

Beating a dead horse imo :smirk:
    I didn't mean the ideas themselves im talking about the people pushing them from within these forums are similar of the two factions, especially server merge because its been a topic that makes the rounds over and over again is what my point is could be a reality or not but judging from now and past years its very not likely a merge will happen but who knows.

in short just because its possible doesn't mean it has a high chance of happening we aren't KR even though we're based a lot from them, being a cynical jerk here but thats just me.
  • HellkaizerHellkaizer

@Hellkaizer
    I didn't mean the ideas themselves im talking about the people pushing them from within these forums are similar of the two factions, especially server merge because its been a topic that makes the rounds over and over again is what my point is could be a reality or not but judging from now and past years its very not likely a merge will happen but who knows.

in short just because its possible doesn't mean it has a high chance of happening we aren't KR even though we're based a lot from them, being a cynical jerk here but thats just me.

How edgy....

Sitting in silence is how we guarantee nothing gets done. With a server merge being entirely possible, pushing for it is a good thing. However, complaining about gacha doesn't really do anything if people keep buying them.
  • HellkaizerHellkaizer
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    There's a difference between sitting in silence when it's a matter of great importance and complaining about everything under the sun for no other reason than to garner attention around you like some type of spoiled non-comprehensive child.

How much free 3D Art have you donated in the past 20 years?

Maybe my personal opinion didn't come across through my posts, I like that outfits are in gacha for the most part. I don't like outfit bags because they just become throwaway items and not many people buy them. Sure some people use them, but when talking about fashion I don't see the harm in it being gacha. What I don't like is how we have multiple version of the same thing in gacha. Like the MKO outfits have 2 versions that are the same except one has an exp buff.
    [Deleted User]
  • TheOthicTheOthic
    edited November 30, 2017

How edgy....

Sitting in silence is how we guarantee nothing gets done. With a server merge being entirely possible, pushing for it is a good thing. However, complaining about gacha doesn't really do anything if people keep buying them.

well lets agree to disagree then. this is where our opinions just aren't the same, but ill say what I told gaea if anything its admirable you people are this determined.