Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!
Closed

Why do people constantly insist that mabi is dying

Comments

• HazurahHazurah
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,570
    edited January 3, 2018
    the game is alive and well, but just stopped growing

well not really, just the player base, barely any new player by now
  • TNinjaTNinja
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,265
    It depends on your definition of "dying" I guess.

To me, it's "alive", but is it truly "living"?
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,660
    edited January 4, 2018
    TNinja wrote: »

On a technical standpoint no, it's not as alive back when gachapons were fairly new, and content actually rolled in.
    Content being new areas, zones, and tasks not talents or Gen quests.
    If NPCs who sold clothes actually served a purpose and sold very old gachapon clothes, then yes, there would have been progress.
    Unfortunately Nexon KR has ignored the NA community in the modern views of Lootbox conspiracy and lack of validity in actually progressing in a game.
    There is no new crafting recipes for old gachapon outfits, nor is cooking entirely complete.
    Nexon KR may still have money, but widely lack the human resources or time to make up for a wide gap of a very outdated UI and Cash Shop model.
    This all points in a very negative and downward spiraling direction, rather than any progression in the way Mabinogi should be running.
    Also the main problem right now is NA's lack of a CM who can actually work with KR on trying to make NA mabi a bit more independent in the marketing and tech departments.
    Eureka12Pip-BoyTairiku
  • Eureka12Eureka12
    Mabinogi Rep: 955

On a technical standpoint no, it's not as alive back when gachapons were fairly new, and content actually rolled in.
    Content being new areas, zones, and tasks not talents or Gen quests.
    If NPCs who sold clothes actually served a purpose and sold very old gachapon clothes, then yes, there would have been progress.
    Unfortunately Nexon KR has ignored the NA community in the modern views of Lootbox conspiracy and lack of validity in actually progressing in a game.
    There is no new crafting recipes for old gachapon outfits, nor is cooking entirely complete.
    Nexon KR may still have money, but widely lack the human resources or time to make up for a wide gap of a very outdated UI and Cash Shop model.
    This all points in a very negative and downward spiraling direction, rather than any progression in the way Mabinogi should be running.
    Also the main problem right now is NA's lack of a CM who can actually work with KR on trying to make NA mabi a bit more independent in the marketing and tech departments.

Exactly!
    Darkpixie99
  • KelpSodaKelpSoda
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,145
    gameplay wise no, the game has always been a mess but it never really got that much worse other than power creep but honestly that's a non issue

clearly the game will never get a single fix on any of the gamebreaking issues it has but it's not like the target audience know any better to let it die
    Tairiku
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    edited January 5, 2018
    Seriously, where's Saygo? I know he was just a replacement for some time, but it's almost a year now since Sabina left and we still don't have official CM... That's just... I just... Have no words how disappointed i feel.
    [Deleted User]Drognak
  • SaiSai
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,785
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    The largest contributing factors to the dwindling of NA's population are the gold bots and the overall hacker/gold seller/buyer community.

What I wouldn't give to see those bots gone forever...
    [Deleted User]PeachAppleSherri
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    edited January 5, 2018
    @Darkpixie99 ~ Not having a CM in the NA forum plays very little role in the population of the game or the growth of North American game development in South Korea. The largest contributing factors to the dwindling of NA's population are the gold bots and the overall hacker/gold seller/buyer community. These things alone have cost Nexon a lot of money. A lot of money they could have used to provide the community with the content they desire. (The same thing responsible for the dwindling of populations for many other games). This game could fare just as well or better without a forum; limiting all of their user feedback to submission based email. (As it was before we had one).

A CM on the forum is able to directly work as a Forum Community Manager, capable of forming complete files of forum requests
    (Ex- Idle Action Cards, Save Hair/Face) to the KR CM to look over and validate that it's also what other communities would want and gladly pay for upon release.
    A CM in game is just an event creator, which unfortunately amounts to just gatherings and freebies due to the lack of NA's ability to actually create or alter content.
    (IE- Forwarded Bug usually indicates to KR which had previously already patched it days later compared to our month long waits.)

Also, gold bots are an illegal activity that results in both accounts getting banned.
    It's only costing Nexon fees for any additional outsider investigative work.
    Gold bots only affect the game economy, not the game's progression itself.
    (Only the Nexon KR devs can do that by stalling or not reaching out to other branches for help.)
  • KouyioueKouyioue
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,030
    Probably sweep it under the rug like those unreported crime rate statistics that keep popping up

Gotta keep those fancy artificial rates up to appeal to the scrutinizers xD
    Darkpixie99
  • CapnReconCapnRecon
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,055
    Not quite dead yet, but still dead to me. I do sometimes check back here, but honestly the game isn't worth playing seriously anymore. I made it my goal to put together a set of Chaser armor and once I did, that was it. I stopped playing seriously, because there wasn't anything worth going for next at the time. Now, I just see a ton of items that should be obtained via gameplay being released in Trashapons. The game has this giant leech sucking on it's back trying to wring all the money it can out of it. The extreme over-reliance and frequency of gachapons is sickening. Instead of real content, we get temporary events that are either fundamentally broken, or not worth doing. Frequently both.

It's been said before, but what the game needs is a new engine, devs that care, and to be de-Nexoned. So basically a real Mabinogi 2 instead of what they tried to pass off as Mabinogi 2 (It was basically a sequel to Vindictus) until everyone told Nexon the idea was dumb because Vindictus already exists, so they binned it.

It hurts seeing how much time I dumped into Mabinogi only for Nexon to continue nosediving the game because they don't actually care about the wellbeing of the game and it's community.

Yell and scream at me all you like, but I believe Nexon will never change when it comes to how they view their games. At the end of the day for them, it's just a way to line their pockets.
    Darkpixie99JulieDrognakSherri
  • ValenmirValenmir
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,385
    Nilrem wrote: »
    Remember: It is a unspoken rule for every MMO in existence for certain groups of players to always say the game is dying/dead/going to die/close to death/already dead, even if the game is fully alive and has over a million players.

This is often caused by players only doing things within a small group, and because they ran out of things to do, it must mean that everyone else ran out of things to do. Even if the majority of players still have a lot to do from not rushing or being normal, social people.

...That, and I've actually been around dying MMOs before. If you ever think Mabi is bad...
    Well, I've seen games with less than 100 total players online weekly not die.
    And on a game I saw that had announced its death, I saw maybe 10 players. Total.
    Not just 10 in one server or one area. TOTAL.

Mabinogi is still alive. maybe has a bit of a cold and could use some care, but its Alive.

:x Actually- Im one of those who has been saying the game is dying. But that is not the reason at all. From the time i joined, to now. I have seen the decline of people and even shops, And its not me looking in the wrong places as well. My friend who joined the game just last year made the comment them selves, "Where are all the players? Ive only seen two and they seemed to be afk." That was from a new player. Even in past events, Half the time you are better off soloing unless you have a group of active friends, Because the chances are pretty low to find someone who isnt afk.

I didnt have a small group of friends, and i wasnt around small groups of players either. The game isnt Dead, But its is fading.
    Darkpixie99
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    @Darkpixie99 ~ A CM (Forum Community Manager) is not a developer. ~ Yes. Our CMs have been known to communicate with communities (that's their job). A CM does not dictate what happens in the game, nor do they have any direct influence over the population of the game (high or low). A CM can make recommendations based on a visual observation, but that's the limit to their "authority" in terms of what goes and what does not go, outside of the forums. The confusion on this topic derives from our previous CM's position with the company. (Sabina was not only a CM; she was/is also a GM). This is why she was able to do things unable to be done by a normal CM. ~ Bugs are handled by entirely different people. @Tasket and @Katherz do, did, and are still doing a fine job of handling bugs (with or without a CM at the helm). ~ For the purpose of continued bickering and near imminent overconfident psychobabble, define Confirmation Bias. ~ and have yourself a wonderful day. :)

GM Cicada was Sabina

Say what you will, the fact of the matter is that KR has a crippling need to solo develop or fix things, and without community input, Mabinogi would never have had the new features you see in the feedback and suggestions side of the forums. (Idle Action Cards/Save Hair with Save Face coming soon.)
    The only one capable of communicating just that is a CM, power or not.
    You see, if NA continues to have no CM, then KR will be stuck releasing suggested content that only the KR community wants, pushing the NA community farther away.
    Plus, the content we want will/may never be seen by KR.
    No more Lootbox Conspiracy, Crafting Old Gachapon Releases, Better and Well Rounded Crafting System, and NPC Re-validation are all great ideas.
    However, I don't exactly see KR forums talking about complaints in the same way we do.
    You could blame Google Translate as to why we need an official CM for NA, but it really speaks for itself about how much actually got through to KR so far.
    Whatever ideas our CM took from just a single thread with multiple pages, it was enough for KR to go, "Oh... so a housing decorative system in the Homestead. (Romantic Farm) Okay, we can do that." And so they added it in after the KR housing channel revamp.
    It might be a small change we won't be seeing for a few more months or so in a large update, but it was there in the forums, and it was seen.
    If anything... I think the KR community has the most dead forums when it comes to feedback. (All I see is a freestyle forum and a guide forum.)
    I as a player wouldn't be able to know for certain that KR doesn't have any ideas of it's own, only a CM would have that kind of communication ability.
    You say that not having an NA CM won't affect Mabinogi, but it actually just might do that after we catch up to KR and hit another content hiatus.
    If you doubt me so much, just take a look at the deeper meaning behind the CM job title.
    Sherri
  • GakkuriaquaGakkuriaqua
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,870
    edited January 6, 2018
    I would also say that mabi is on some sort of gacha life line. Where mabi gets sparks of activity when a new gacha comes out.

But to be honest I find it quite sad that it take forever to queue up for group events i.e the recent Santa hide and seek. After a day or two the event area was quite empty so it was difficult to get the homestead items for me. Overall event areas aren't as active as they are compared to previous years. I personally enjoy mabi events but the waiting time to queue up this event isn't enjoyable when it takes hours.

But me being here for 8+ years I would say that my server is on a decline, due to majority either migrated to other games such as BNS, BDO or FFXIV, or migrated to alexina server.

Also there isn't really an "end game" phase imho. There isnt a goal to reach for, I mean there are "end game" items but they're a shot in the dark due to how small the population is. For the players that aren't p2w or power-creeps I feel that they're left without a goal aside from ranking skills.
    What do you do after getting rank 1 for most skills? whats the motive for increasing stats?
    There just isn't a drive to do anything after since a lot of things are just not worth doing, especially since gacha spits out so much junk that devalues majority of items.
    Darkpixie99Sherri
  • TNinjaTNinja
    @Darkpixie99 ~ Not having a CM in the NA forum plays very little role in the population of the game or the growth of North American game development in South Korea. The largest contributing factors to the dwindling of NA's population are the gold bots and the overall hacker/gold seller/buyer community. These things alone have cost Nexon a lot of money. A lot of money they could have used to provide the community with the content they desire. (The same thing responsible for the dwindling of populations for many other games). This game could fare just as well or better without a forum; limiting all of their user feedback to submission based email. (As it was before we had one).

Wait, Korea doesn't have gold bots?
    pawcalypse
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    54ee8891286bc3f9e0fff988f9a07b6c7cb1aea8_hq.gif
  • JulieJulie
    Gachapons to the rescue!
    pawcalypse
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    chaika-headshake.gif
  • KouyioueKouyioue
    pexels-photo.jpg

Is it raining?
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    edited January 7, 2018
    Wait, Korea doesn't have gold bots?

They probably do, but seeing how small of an area KR is alongside their larger teams compared to NA, they probably get dealt with much quicker with the large ban waves.
    You can see last Friday's shame list to get an idea of how differently KR runs from NA on such matters.
  • TNinjaTNinja
    @TNinja ~ Yes. Korea has bots. They also have laws on the books to prosecute gold farmers (unlike the USA).

Hm, but you mentioned that one of the reasons our NEXON wastes too much money is because the bots costs them money.

It doesn't look related at this rate.
This discussion has been closed.