Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Server Merge Alternative?

Comments

• BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    @Blissfulkill
    Gaea wrote: »
    I'm serious, if you can't do a freaking server merge - then at the very LEAST remove the population indicators at character creation! It was bad enough NA created that UNNECESSARY server, but they are perpetuating the imbalance by indicating the most popular server. GET RID OF THAT FEATURE!!! God damn.

It is a feature I would love if I were a new player. I think if I wanted to inquire of the server population, I would be well within my right to know.
    There are million of games that don't disclose their server population. ~

This is Nexon's House. ~ We don't have rights here, we have privileges.

Totally forgot to clean that up. I meant to the truth from the populace. You're right.

:s
    [Deleted User]
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    I'm serious, if you can't do a freaking server merge - then at the very LEAST remove the population indicators at character creation! It was bad enough NA created that UNNECESSARY server, but they are perpetuating the imbalance by indicating the most popular server. GET RID OF THAT FEATURE!!! God damn.
    Those indicators show the current activity; not the total population of the server. If it were the latter; all four would be at 100% (and then some). You also have to consider the memory cost of allowing each account to have 200 pets and characters (regarding merges).

It does indicate the server population in comparison to other servers. OBVIOUSLY the more populated the server the more active it is.

Look NA is never going to do a server merge, we've been clamoring for it for years. They don't have the resources (or brains) to do it so at the very least they could do is attempt to slow the atrophy of other servers. (They could do that by not vomiting gacha content all of the time, but we know that's not going to happen). Basically and most bluntly, we need to stop people from going to Alexina all of the time. Nothing against that server but you know that server has been the bane of "activity" on other servers for years.
  • BuffalosBuffalos
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,795
    Look NA is never going to do a server merge, we've been clamoring for it for years. They don't have the resources (or brains) to do it so at the very least they could do is attempt to slow the atrophy of other servers.
    Solution: Remove the activity display and randomize the server list's order on new character creation for each session. People who have no clue where to go are more inclined to jump into the one on the top, so shuffle that slot around a bit and you just might give the smaller servers a boost in new player population.
    [Deleted User]foussiremixZeoCrimsọn
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Buffalos wrote: »
    Look NA is never going to do a server merge, we've been clamoring for it for years. They don't have the resources (or brains) to do it so at the very least they could do is attempt to slow the atrophy of other servers.
    Solution: Remove the activity display and randomize the server list's order on new character creation for each session. People who have no clue where to go are more inclined to jump into the one on the top, so shuffle that slot around a bit and you just might give the smaller servers a boost in new player population.

Yes that is a good idea. Just list the servers randomly in a list that players can select from. I mean if they have questions about what server to join they are going to end up in the forums or the discord channel anyway.
  • ShadoeShadoe
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,090
    edited January 27, 2018

It was necessary at the time, since all servers had problems with all their channels getting full. Plus they had a big influx of new players that wanted somewhere to go where they didn't have to compete with older players.
  • LostLinksLostLinks
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,330
    I've always been pro sever merge/transfer but if they would just say something officially like, "hey we're not capable of doing transfers or merges and will probably never be" I would drop the subject. I just wish they would be a bit more transparent about these things.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    edited January 28, 2018
    LostLinks wrote: »
    I've always been pro sever merge/transfer but if they would just say something officially like, "hey we're not capable of doing transfers or merges and will probably never be" I would drop the subject. I just wish they would be a bit more transparent about these things.

No they say stupid things like it's never been discussed and constantly feign ignorance on the issue. Which is a lie especially after all these years we've been screaming about it. Twice on streams they have stated it's never been brought up. Pure bs. But I get it, they are under a NDA.

But still...

I am sorry to the mabinogi staff to have to say this, but we're not stupid. You're not stupid. Some kind of statement should be made concerning this matter. Something. Anything. C'mon. O_o
    offwithyourheads
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    At least they are planning to do some changes now. They finally got rid of Mabinogi Ambassador thing, which is a very good start. The unnecessary favoritism is not appreciated.
  • RheyRhey
    Mabinogi Rep: 10,175
    So it's that time again when the new season of "Server Mergers" airs. The drama sure didn't disappoint. :trollface:

On another note~ I'll just beat the usual dead horse and toss my 2 cents of wanting an International trade house/feature across all servers. I got 2 much money and not enuf suppliers of guds I'd rather care to spend it on. :s
    Shadoe
  • GretaGreta
    Server Merge threads should be banned from forums lol...
    [Deleted User]Gaby5011
  • TNinjaTNinja
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,265
    Greta wrote: »
    Julie wrote: »
    Stop making Alexina the HOT server! In fact don't show the popularity of any of the servers. :|

hot-burning-graphic.gif

Everyone knows that Alexina is the most lit server :trollface:

Well, she has some hotness factor. And she resides in a hot area.
  • ApollodorusApollodorus
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,865
    You know I understand the frustration towards people futilely beating a dead horse into the ground, but it honestly astonishes me how passionate some people are about telling others they should just ignore investments of time/money/energy and just start over from scratch. At best the constant server merge threads are a symptom of diminishing populations, and at worst they are the death throes of dying servers. Either way Nexon is going to have to deal with it sooner or later and while it might not be a server merge they are eventually going to have to do something if they want to keep the player bases of the less populated servers. Not that it matters to me one way or another since I'm on Alexina.

Also the potential problem with just removing the server population and shuffling them is that there isn't exactly a huge stream of new players coming in, so the trickle of new players spread over four servers semi-equally might not even serve as an adequate band-aid. Not that I have any alternative solutions.
  • VivianVivian
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,030
    edited January 28, 2018
    i'd be thrilled for a server merge
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    edited January 28, 2018
    At least they are planning to do some changes now. They finally got rid of Mabinogi Ambassador thing, which is a very good start. The unnecessary favoritism is not appreciated.

Yep the Sabina regime has been completely nullified. Kek. =P
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    I mean... If we can't do a server why not create a system where players can actively choose which Servers to play on every time they log in?

Is that too much to ask for?? 0.0

To achieve this, you'd basically have to merge the servers anyway; one server with like 28 channels say. To the end user it could be made to appear to be 4 servers with 7 channels each, but it wouldn't be. My understanding is that character names can be reused as long as they are on different servers; likely then there will be repeats. So, first everyone's character will have to have a new field added to distinguish these characters. That's fine in fact it can remain a hidden field. Probably it would just contain the name of the server they presently inhabit. To make the merge though all server dependent effects on the game world would have to be discontinued before the merge could occur. So first, farm fields in Tailteann would have to stop being sold. Guild stones would have to be removed. Guild castles and their neighborhoods removed. Basically all these things would have to return to their default state when they were first introduced into the game. The biggest change would be that with one big server there would only be 4 guild castles not 16.
  • GretaGreta
    it honestly astonishes me how passionate some people are about telling others they should just ignore investments of time/money/energy and just start over from scratch.
    Honesty? Do you know the definition of that word? I'm currently spending on a different account but I've attached below a copy of my charge record from 2008 to 2015 for this account alone. ~ I would appreciate your not assuming so much about people you don't know. ~ Thank you very much. ~ https://imgur.com/a/lJtBY

Wow dude... Too much wasted money in my opinion... xD I couldn't do such thing.
    [Deleted User]
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    edited January 28, 2018
    it honestly astonishes me how passionate some people are about telling others they should just ignore investments of time/money/energy and just start over from scratch.
    Honesty? Do you know the definition of that word? I'm currently spending on a different account but I've attached below a copy of my charge record from 2008 to 2015 for this account alone. ~ I would appreciate your not assuming so much about people you don't know. ~ Thank you very much. ~ https://imgur.com/a/lJtBY

Wow dude... Too much wasted money in my opinion... xD I couldn't do such thing.

I am afraid to look at mine. I won't. >_<
    @Helsa
    Helsa wrote: »
    My understanding is that character names can be reused as long as they are on different servers; likely then there will be repeats. So, first everyone's character will have to have a new field added to distinguish these characters. That's fine in fact it can remain a hidden field. Probably it would just contain the name of the server they presently inhabit. To make the merge though all server dependent effects on the game world would have to be discontinued before the merge could occur. So first, farm fields in Tailteann would have to stop being sold. Guild stones would have to be removed. Guild castles and their neighborhoods removed. Basically all these things would have to return to their default state when they were first introduced into the game. The biggest change would be that with one big server there would only be 4 guild castles not 16.
    If we get the content added to KR (homestead shops), there will be 0 Guild Castles; and much of what you said has been discussed already (over and over and over and over); none of it's new to those of us who have been here the whole time. Names aren't a real big issue (only identities) in terms of co-existing duplicates. Refer to any 'item' or 'weapon' for an example. As you said, server names could be applied/hidden (as suggested years ago by Azwauru; they could be shown to others when holding Alt).

The biggest change would be overwhelming lag,.. and a waiting list to log into the game (especially during events and content updates).

T7i2jOW.jpg

I highly doubt it at this point, but it's possible they are waiting for Ruairi and Tarlach to get critically low before considering a server merge.
  • IyasenuIyasenu
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,265
    @Hardmuscle

Why do you think there'd be overwhelming lag or log-on waitlists?

If some servers got merged, the merged server wouldn't be the size of one of our current servers.
    And since no server is bursting at the seams by themselves., even Alexina, I don't understand how it would cause such things to add two or more together.

I'm working on the assumption that a merged server would have more channels and player capacity than non-merged ones did by themselves. (because that's how the previous examples went, and I'd hope they wouldn't shaft US in such a regard)

Come to think of it, looking at some of the KR servers, I get the biggest case of channel-envy!
    d61ccd84a6.png

7 seems so small all of a sudden.
    ZeoNegumikoUnisex
  • ZeoZeo
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,030
    I would have to agree with @Iyasenu.

I’m not really sure why people are falling in for this myth where we would end up getting more lag if we get the merged servers and such... I mean yeah, the market would be unstable for first week or so but it all will go back to normal and the one market channel may get filled up much more quickly but eh.. who said you can’t have two or three market channels? lol

And lets see.. considering Alexina server is most populated out of all four servers and Alexina server doesn’t even need 7 channels because we don’t have enough active players to fill up the 7 channels for Alexina server... so if we was to see all four servers (at this point, Nexon would be dumb to only merge two servers into one and leaving other two servers dead so it is ideal to merge all four servers) be merged into one, having 15 channels would be more than enough for everyone to play in.
    NegumikoUnisex
  • RheyRhey
    Mabinogi Rep: 10,175
    Snagging collab guds will def be much easier 4 me. So merging or Int trade house idc really just give me one. Muh Ocd's are makin me depressed evrytime I see my incomplete collections. :'( :s :/