Check out the patch notes for the September 10th update, Campfire Spirit: https://forums.mabinogi.nexon.net/discussion/23685
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Server Merge Alternative?

Comments

• TNinjaTNinja
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,940
    Greta wrote: »
    Julie wrote: »
    Gaea wrote: »
    Stop making Alexina the HOT server! In fact don't show the popularity of any of the servers. :|

hot-burning-graphic.gif

Everyone knows that Alexina is the most lit server :trollface:

Well, she has some hotness factor. And she resides in a hot area.
  • ApollodorusApollodorus
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,665
    You know I understand the frustration towards people futilely beating a dead horse into the ground, but it honestly astonishes me how passionate some people are about telling others they should just ignore investments of time/money/energy and just start over from scratch. At best the constant server merge threads are a symptom of diminishing populations, and at worst they are the death throes of dying servers. Either way Nexon is going to have to deal with it sooner or later and while it might not be a server merge they are eventually going to have to do something if they want to keep the player bases of the less populated servers. Not that it matters to me one way or another since I'm on Alexina.

Also the potential problem with just removing the server population and shuffling them is that there isn't exactly a huge stream of new players coming in, so the trickle of new players spread over four servers semi-equally might not even serve as an adequate band-aid. Not that I have any alternative solutions.
  • HardmuscleHardmuscle
    Mabinogi Rep: 12,900
    You know I understand the frustration towards people futilely beating a dead horse into the ground, but it honestly astonishes me how passionate some people are about telling others they should just ignore investments of time/money/energy and just start over from scratch.
    Starting over from scratch doesn't mean you must delete what you already have. ~ Talk about jumping to conclusions.

• VivianVivian
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,030
    edited January 28, 2018
    i'd be thrilled for a server merge
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 49,955
    edited January 28, 2018
    At least they are planning to do some changes now. They finally got rid of Mabinogi Ambassador thing, which is a very good start. The unnecessary favoritism is not appreciated.

Yep the Sabina regime has been completely nullified. Kek. =P
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 15,475
    I mean... If we can't do a server why not create a system where players can actively choose which Servers to play on every time they log in?

Is that too much to ask for?? 0.0

To achieve this, you'd basically have to merge the servers anyway; one server with like 28 channels say. To the end user it could be made to appear to be 4 servers with 7 channels each, but it wouldn't be. My understanding is that character names can be reused as long as they are on different servers; likely then there will be repeats. So, first everyone's character will have to have a new field added to distinguish these characters. That's fine in fact it can remain a hidden field. Probably it would just contain the name of the server they presently inhabit. To make the merge though all server dependent effects on the game world would have to be discontinued before the merge could occur. So first, farm fields in Tailteann would have to stop being sold. Guild stones would have to be removed. Guild castles and their neighborhoods removed. Basically all these things would have to return to their default state when they were first introduced into the game. The biggest change would be that with one big server there would only be 4 guild castles not 16.
  • HardmuscleHardmuscle
    it honestly astonishes me how passionate some people are about telling others they should just ignore investments of time/money/energy and just start over from scratch.
    Honesty? Do you know the definition of that word? I'm currently spending on a different account but I've attached below a copy of my charge record from 2008 to 2015 for this account alone. ~ I would appreciate your not assuming so much about people you don't know. ~ Thank you very much. ~ https://imgur.com/a/lJtBY

• GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 45,975
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    it honestly astonishes me how passionate some people are about telling others they should just ignore investments of time/money/energy and just start over from scratch.
    Honesty? Do you know the definition of that word? I'm currently spending on a different account but I've attached below a copy of my charge record from 2008 to 2015 for this account alone. ~ I would appreciate your not assuming so much about people you don't know. ~ Thank you very much. ~ https://imgur.com/a/lJtBY

Wow dude... Too much wasted money in my opinion... xD I couldn't do such thing.
    Hardmuscle
  • HardmuscleHardmuscle
    edited January 28, 2018
    @Helsa
    Helsa wrote: »
    My understanding is that character names can be reused as long as they are on different servers; likely then there will be repeats. So, first everyone's character will have to have a new field added to distinguish these characters. That's fine in fact it can remain a hidden field. Probably it would just contain the name of the server they presently inhabit. To make the merge though all server dependent effects on the game world would have to be discontinued before the merge could occur. So first, farm fields in Tailteann would have to stop being sold. Guild stones would have to be removed. Guild castles and their neighborhoods removed. Basically all these things would have to return to their default state when they were first introduced into the game. The biggest change would be that with one big server there would only be 4 guild castles not 16.
    If we get the content added to KR (homestead shops), there will be 0 Guild Castles; and much of what you said has been discussed already (over and over and over and over); none of it's new to those of us who have been here the whole time. Names aren't a real big issue (only identities) in terms of co-existing duplicates. Refer to any 'item' or 'weapon' for an example. As you said, server names could be applied/hidden (as suggested years ago by Azwauru; they could be shown to others when holding Alt).

The biggest change would be overwhelming lag,.. and a waiting list to log into the game (especially during events and content updates).

T7i2jOW.jpg

• CrimsọnCrimsọn
    edited January 28, 2018

Wow dude... Too much wasted money in my opinion... xD I couldn't do such thing.

I am afraid to look at mine. I won't. >_<
    @Helsa
    Helsa wrote: »
    My understanding is that character names can be reused as long as they are on different servers; likely then there will be repeats. So, first everyone's character will have to have a new field added to distinguish these characters. That's fine in fact it can remain a hidden field. Probably it would just contain the name of the server they presently inhabit. To make the merge though all server dependent effects on the game world would have to be discontinued before the merge could occur. So first, farm fields in Tailteann would have to stop being sold. Guild stones would have to be removed. Guild castles and their neighborhoods removed. Basically all these things would have to return to their default state when they were first introduced into the game. The biggest change would be that with one big server there would only be 4 guild castles not 16.
    If we get the content added to KR (homestead shops), there will be 0 Guild Castles; and much of what you said has been discussed already (over and over and over and over); none of it's new to those of us who have been here the whole time. Names aren't a real big issue (only identities) in terms of co-existing duplicates. Refer to any 'item' or 'weapon' for an example. As you said, server names could be applied/hidden (as suggested years ago by Azwauru; they could be shown to others when holding Alt).

The biggest change would be overwhelming lag,.. and a waiting list to log into the game (especially during events and content updates).

T7i2jOW.jpg

I highly doubt it at this point, but it's possible they are waiting for Ruairi and Tarlach to get critically low before considering a server merge.
  • IyasenuIyasenu
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,875
    @Hardmuscle

Why do you think there'd be overwhelming lag or log-on waitlists?

If some servers got merged, the merged server wouldn't be the size of one of our current servers.
    And since no server is bursting at the seams by themselves., even Alexina, I don't understand how it would cause such things to add two or more together.

I'm working on the assumption that a merged server would have more channels and player capacity than non-merged ones did by themselves. (because that's how the previous examples went, and I'd hope they wouldn't shaft US in such a regard)

Come to think of it, looking at some of the KR servers, I get the biggest case of channel-envy!
    d61ccd84a6.png

7 seems so small all of a sudden.
    ZeoNegumikoUnisex
  • ZeoZeo
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,030
    I would have to agree with @Iyasenu.

I’m not really sure why people are falling in for this myth where we would end up getting more lag if we get the merged servers and such... I mean yeah, the market would be unstable for first week or so but it all will go back to normal and the one market channel may get filled up much more quickly but eh.. who said you can’t have two or three market channels? lol

And lets see.. considering Alexina server is most populated out of all four servers and Alexina server doesn’t even need 7 channels because we don’t have enough active players to fill up the 7 channels for Alexina server... so if we was to see all four servers (at this point, Nexon would be dumb to only merge two servers into one and leaving other two servers dead so it is ideal to merge all four servers) be merged into one, having 15 channels would be more than enough for everyone to play in.
    NegumikoUnisex
  • RheyRhey
    Mabinogi Rep: 10,030
    Snagging collab guds will def be much easier 4 me. So merging or Int trade house idc really just give me one. Muh Ocd's are makin me depressed evrytime I see my incomplete collections. :'( :s :/
  • Pie5434Pie5434
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,020
    I think the biggest problem with this is the names. People with duplicate names will have to rename and some people might complain if they lose their name since it's a duplicate. I wish there would be a server merge but at the same time there would be massive name issues and how to settle it without too many people getting angry losing their names (if taken). Another issue is pets. If the names are in the same category (where names can be the same in different servers) then it will cause people to probably have to rename their pets. Honestly, it'd just be best if they wanted to REALLY server merge to just ask the community/tell the community the problems and what we would want (ex. We want server merge even if some of our names would change or vice versa)
  • HardmuscleHardmuscle
    edited January 29, 2018
    @Iyasenu @Zeo ~ We currently have 4 login servers. ~ Said merge would set us down to 1 login server.

~ Showing me a list of channels says nothing about the population on the server it represents.
    All of South Korea would fit in the area between Los Angeles and San Francisco.

2bq49yJ.jpg

• HardmuscleHardmuscle
    edited January 29, 2018
    @Pie5434 ~ Names are not an issue. ~ Character data is cataloged by ID; not Names. ~ Names are like Decorations. Identities are the only issue concerning names (which person is which), and this is easily dealt with using tags. ~ (Nexon doesn't want to do this merging of servers you all whine for). ~ Try reading the thread. ~ Afterwards; read the other thread; and then read the other threads; and if you can dig up the archives for the last two forums; you can read the last 10 years of threads on this topic. http://forums.mabinogi.nexon.net/discussion/2157/server-merge/p1

• CrimsọnCrimsọn
    They don't want to do it because they don't want the headache. Lol.
    HardmuscleRadiant DawnVeylaine
  • Pie5434Pie5434
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,020
    edited January 29, 2018
    @Pie5434 ~ Names are not an issue. ~ Character data is cataloged by ID; not Names. ~ Names are like Decorations. Identities are the only issue concerning names (which person is which), and this is easily dealt with using tags. ~ (Nexon doesn't want to do this merging of servers you all whine for). ~ Try reading the thread. ~ Afterwards; read the other thread; and then read the other threads; and if you can dig up the archives for the last two forums; you can read the last 10 years of threads on this topic. http://forums.mabinogi.nexon.net/discussion/2157/server-merge/p1

See, you tell me to read the post when you didn't read my post x.x. I know it's by character ID but people will complain they lost their name if they come back and it's a hard to get name; that's why I suggested to ask the community what they want so if people ever complain you just slap them with the post and say you decided it upon yourself. My whole argument was the hassle to have people change IGNs and such with their pets/characters.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    You guys also have to understand that a lot of things can go wrong if a server merge was to take place. We could possibly see the game being down anywhere from a full day to several days. (This would cause the forums, discord channel, and other social media to blow up btw). That means our poor mabinogi staff would be working some serious overtime hours doing trouble shooting and debugging. Not only that we could very well see items and other stuff go missing, they would be swamped with tickets for weeks, potentially even months.

I totally understand why they wouldn't want to touch an undertaking of that magnitude. But at some point it's going to have to happen.
  • IyasenuIyasenu
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,875
    We currently have 4 login servers. ~ Said merge would set us down to 1 login server.

~ Showing me a list of channels says nothing about the population on the server it represents.
    All of South Korea would fit in the area between Los Angeles and San Francisco.

Still don't get it.

Aren't all four login servers in the same place anyways?
    Why would it matter that South Korea's smaller in that case.
    Both before and after a merge, people would still be logging in from the same distances.

And login shouldn't be affected.
    Depending on how the login server works.
    Whether it's currently one server handling login requests for all 4 servers right now, or if each game server has its own login server (that's what you mentioned), it shouldn't matter.
    If it's one for all, then nothing should change. It's still the same amount of total players.
    And if it's one for each, then why wouldn't they be able to utilize each of them to connect to a single merged server just fine?

I mean, even then, I feel that even every server's login traffic added together wouldn't bounce up against their capacity. It's a merge, not a sudden massive unflux of new players.
    It's not like this is Final Fantasy XIV on it's launch.

But, for the sake of seeing if they could do it, they could do another one of those Server Stress Tests, like they did loooooong ago when they upgraded the servers.
    NegumikoZeo