Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Mabinogi Direct Launch Ending March 16th

Comments

• CassaCassa
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,305
    I've always used Direct Launch because the Nexon Launcher never worked for me - NEVER. I wouldn't say my computer is a top of the line gaming machine but it's certainly more than capable of running most games. It had Win 7 on it previously and I reformatted it with a new copy of Win 10 last summer. It's also never worked on my laptop which was originally Win 8 and upgraded to Win 10. I've spoke with others on Discord and Skype and also from what's apparent in this thread others are in the same boat. So I think it can be safely assumed that there are outstanding and significant issues with the Nexon Launcher for some of your player-base. I also don't understand the need to get rid of the Direct Launcher.

So then:
    1. Why get rid of the Direct Launcher at all?
    2. Are you doing anything to ensure the Nexon Launcher will work properly for all users by the time you take away Direct Launch?
    3. Finally, with an already dwindling player-base, is implementing something that could prevent some of your active players from playing really a wise decision?

For me, it would just mean I wouldn't be able to play and would result in officially saying good-bye to a game I've played since G2 as I don't see the need to fight with a broken launcher for a game I've finished ranking skills and running content on. So, it would suck but I wouldn't be completely heartbroken. However, I really hope there's an official response of some kind soon on the issue because there are people who are obviously nervous/upset about this and for them quitting isn't something they want to do. Nexon shouldn't ignore that - those are dedicated players expressing concern. Players they could end up losing.
    Shaeli
  • NinzerkerNinzerker
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,640
    edited March 4, 2017
    Where's the beta to new launcher?

Which mod is collecting player feedback?

Where are the polls asking if we want this?

It's really not hard to change things, but your going about it all wrong!
  • AquasolAquasol
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,465
    Member, Volunteer Forum Moderator
    Ninzerker wrote: »
    Where's the beta to new launcher?

The Nexon Launcher has been around for well over a year now, with Mabi being on it since its inception. You can try it out anytime.
    Greta
  • NinzerkerNinzerker
    Aquasol wrote: »
    The Nexon Launcher has been around for well over a year now, with Mabi being on it since its inception. You can try it out anytime.

Original post mentions changes being made to Launcher, I'm talking about the beta test of THAT launcher, not the broken one we've had for years. They need to actually get some feedback to see if they actually FIX the majority of the problems, instead of just rolling out with a new and untested one with a slew of it's own bugs and problems
  • AquasolAquasol
    Original post mentions changes being made to Launcher, I'm talking about the beta test of THAT launcher, not the broken one we've had for years. They need to actually get some feedback to see if they actually FIX the majority of the problems, instead of just rolling out with a new and untested one with a slew of it's own bugs and problems

It's referring to the outdated .exe launcher, as well as other patching methods. You can submit tickets relating to errors occurring with the Launcher under the Technical Support category of the Support page. That's to everyone's benefit.
    Greta
  • NinzerkerNinzerker
    It's referring to the outdated .exe launcher, as well as other patching methods. You can submit tickets relating to errors occurring with the Launcher under the Technical Support category of the Support page. That's to everyone's benefit.

Again, any errors that would require later support tickets could very well be fixed during a beta process, freeing up their support team for... You know... ACTUAL support tickets instead of mounds of launcher problem reports. It's a little thing called "Quality Control" and it makes a big difference.

I've no clue as to who ever started this idiotic, ass backward trend of release broken goods and then slowly patch after bugs are found, instead of through and repeated testing BEFORE launch.
    But they and anyone who actually accepts such apparent lack of quality assurance as the norm should be ashamed of themselves.

Even in one of the oldest professions in the world, carpentry, you measure twice, cut once!

Doing such in this manner isn't to anyone's benefit,
    Shaeli
  • Arlo9922Arlo9922
    Mabinogi Rep: 420
    edited March 4, 2017
    so basically you canceling something that makes the game less laggy and making it so people have to use a system that makes you lag twice as hard since the nexon launcher has to be in the back ground.. thats not really a good idea just saying. personally i hate this idea and ive bin playing since 2008. and the old launcher is still the best in my opinion.
    Neagan777
  • TNinjaTNinja
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,265
    Tell me they are refering to an application launcher, and not the god forsaken website.
  • twistfariatwistfaria
    Mabinogi Rep: 300
    edited March 4, 2017
    Umm..... I've tried to get the Nexon Launcher to work for me on several different occasions (including 3 minutes ago) and it still refuses to launch itself! Every time I've tried to run the launcher it gives me the following popup: [Error 2] The system cannot find the file specified. I've tried reinstalling it numerous times and have started a thread about it in the support section before that went unanswered. Does anyone know of a way I could actually make it run?
  • AquasolAquasol
    Again, any errors that would require later support tickets could very well be fixed during a beta process, freeing up their support team for... You know... ACTUAL support tickets instead of mounds of launcher problem reports. It's a little thing called "Quality Control" and it makes a big difference.

What beta process? While there are improvements and updates being made, the Launcher is up and running for Mabi.
    I've no clue as to who ever started this idiotic, ass backward trend of release broken goods and then slowly patch after bugs are found, instead of through and repeated testing BEFORE launch.
    But they and anyone who actually accepts such apparent lack of quality assurance as the norm should be ashamed of themselves.

Even in one of the oldest professions in the world, carpentry, you measure twice, cut once!

You know how there's more than one kind of wood, and more than one kind of saw? All the QA in the world cannot reasonably cover every variable in PC setups. If you've ever done any QA work, you'd quickly learn this. Find me a game with zero bugs or glitches, and I'll find you a game that wasn't made within the past 30 years.
    Arlo9922 wrote: »
    so basically you canceling something that makes the game less laggy and making it so people have to use a system that makes you lag twice as hard since the nexon launcher has to be in the back ground.. thats not really a good idea just saying. personally i hate this idea and ive bin playing since 2008. and the old launcher is still the best in my opinion.

You only need the Launcher on to start the game; after it launches you can shut it down.
    TNinja wrote: »
    Tell me they are refering to an application launcher, and not the god forsaken website.

This would be correct.

Greta
  • Arlo9922Arlo9922
    Mabinogi Rep: 420
    edited March 5, 2017
    lol no not the website launcher the application. and even if it is closed it's still far more laggy then the old one. basically im still a fan of old launcher not the new one.
  • NinzerkerNinzerker
    What beta process? While there are improvements and updates being made, the Launcher is up and running for Mabi.

Are you deliberately trying to make yourself look the fool? The current Launcher is not, and cannot be representative as a beta, as they are making "improvements and updates" to it. What needs to be in beta is the CHANGED and UPDATED launcher.
    You know how there's more than one kind of wood, and more than one kind of saw? All the QA in the world cannot reasonably cover every variable in PC setups. If you've ever done any QA work, you'd quickly learn this. Find me a game with zero bugs or glitches, and I'll find you a game that wasn't made within the past 30 years.

I'm not talking about every bug ever, I'm talking about BASIC FUNCTIONALITY, in which right now? There isn't any.
    You honestly think that they can properly create wide spectrum improvements while working in a vacuum? No! They need feedback, testing on different PC, Laptops, Operating Systems, BEFORE they launch!

Now if only they could somehow find a way to get a number of players to help with these things! WHOA! Crazy idea right?
    It's almost like getting a larger variety of wood and saws to work with!
  • PlatinaKokiPlatinaKoki
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,760
    Cassa wrote: »
    I've always used Direct Launch because the Nexon Launcher never worked for me - NEVER. I wouldn't say my computer is a top of the line gaming machine but it's certainly more than capable of running most games. It had Win 7 on it previously and I reformatted it with a new copy of Win 10 last summer. It's also never worked on my laptop which was originally Win 8 and upgraded to Win 10. I've spoke with others on Discord and Skype and also from what's apparent in this thread others are in the same boat. So I think it can be safely assumed that there are outstanding and significant issues with the Nexon Launcher for some of your player-base. I also don't understand the need to get rid of the Direct Launcher.

So then:
    1. Why get rid of the Direct Launcher at all?
    2. Are you doing anything to ensure the Nexon Launcher will work properly for all users by the time you take away Direct Launch?
    3. Finally, with an already dwindling player-base, is implementing something that could prevent some of your active players from playing really a wise decision?

For me, it would just mean I wouldn't be able to play and would result in officially saying good-bye to a game I've played since G2 as I don't see the need to fight with a broken launcher for a game I've finished ranking skills and running content on. So, it would suck but I wouldn't be completely heartbroken. However, I really hope there's an official response of some kind soon on the issue because there are people who are obviously nervous/upset about this and for them quitting isn't something they want to do. Nexon shouldn't ignore that - those are dedicated players expressing concern. Players they could end up losing.

1: So they can shove the Nexon Launcher down our throats, hoping it gets used over Steam.
    2: Probably not. It'll probably end up not working for many.
    3: Not wise in any way, for any reason.
  • AquasolAquasol
    Are you deliberately trying to make yourself look the fool? The current Launcher is not, and cannot be representative as a beta, as they are making "improvements and updates" to it. What needs to be in beta is the CHANGED and UPDATED launcher.

Look, I'm not trying to get into a fight or anything, I'm just trying to figure out what it is you're saying, because it's contradictory. Programs get updated and tweaked, that doesn't mean they're still in beta. If you're talking about a testing period for using NxL to open Mabi, that's kind of been a thing already.
    I'm not talking about every bug ever, I'm talking about BASIC FUNCTIONALITY, in which right now? There isn't any.
    You honestly think that they can properly create wide spectrum improvements while working in a vacuum? No! They need feedback, testing on different PC, Laptops, Operating Systems, BEFORE they launch!

Now if only they could somehow find a way to get a number of players to help with these things! WHOA! Crazy idea right?

The Launcher may not be working for you, for reasons unknown to me and which you could report if that's the case, in order to see if there's something that can be fixed on your end and/or noted for theirs. They've been getting feedback on it, from a variety of players. Vindictus hasn't had a direct launch for awhile now, so it's not really some untested thing, and Mabi's had it as an option just as well(not to mention the other titles like Ghost in the Shell and Riders of Icarus). Note that you can still use Steam to launch the game.

Greta
  • RoyaltyRoyalty
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,500
    edited March 5, 2017
    no....no....NOOOOOO
    why direct launcher about to closed? I love it :(

And yes I used nexon launcher before. It works until the buggy play button does not work. Even repair does not work and still say "still in game" like whatt?? I am not the only person that have this problem, other players as well. So in able to log in into Mabinogi, I have to re-install the WHOLE patch so I can play only Mabinogi. No. Thank. You.

I will give this another shot. If this does not work for me, I will quit this game for sure. No point of trying this so many times until nexon launcher is able to work for me. Why am I playing this if Nexon Launcher fails on me.
  • PlatinaKokiPlatinaKoki
    edited March 5, 2017

"Outdated". More like "Outdated, but still, overall, more efficient than the other two methods."

Look, I'm not trying to get into a fight or anything, I'm just trying to figure out what it is you're saying, because it's contradictory. Programs get updated and tweaked, that doesn't mean they're still in beta. If you're talking about a testing period for using NxL to open Mabi, that's kind of been a thing already.

The Launcher may not be working for you, for reasons unknown to me and which you could report if that's the case, in order to see if there's something that can be fixed on your end and/or noted for theirs. They've been getting feedback on it, from a variety of players. Vindictus hasn't had a direct launch for awhile now, so it's not really some untested thing, and Mabi's had it as an option just as well(not to mention the other titles like Ghost in the Shell and Riders of Icarus). Note that you can still use Steam to launch the game.

The point I think we're trying to make is that there is no legitimate reason for removing the Direct Launch.
    Liberate
  • Dai_Mata_ReiDai_Mata_Rei
    Mabinogi Rep: 900
    launching through steam is a lot better than the launcher. and steam ACTUALLY keeps you signed in and auto updates the game for you. and also you have the option of having an fps counter while in game. so this is basically to limit control on players. not a smart move nexon. mabi's already starting to die. we need things that'll revive it not kill it like the forced launcher will.
  • NegumikoNegumiko
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,765
    launching through steam is a lot better than the launcher. and steam ACTUALLY keeps you signed in and auto updates the game for you. and also you have the option of having an fps counter while in game. so this is basically to limit control on players. not a smart move nexon. mabi's already starting to die. we need things that'll revive it not kill it like the forced launcher will.

Steam is a much better option which is why I hope Nexon is smart enough to keep using the Steam version. Plus Nexon says in there post that Nexon Launcher will update even while you are in the game but Steam gives you a choice so you can update when your ready. I am not looking forward to Nexon Launcher downloading a update and lagging me while I play as my internet already has bad speed quite often. Using the Steam version has never caused any major lag issues in mabi and usually when I do lag it is my internet going bad or mabi.

• TNinjaTNinja
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,265
    Fun fact: Mabinogi is not available on Steam for European.
  • PlatinaKokiPlatinaKoki
    TNinja wrote: »
    Fun fact: Mabinogi is not available on Steam for European.
    That's true; if the Nexon Launcher doesn't work for any European player, that's essentially it for them.