Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Mabinogi Direct Launch Ending March 16th

Comments

• GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    Darn, i forgot some popcorns for this. This QQ'ing is really enjoyable.
    PreciousWolf
  • Jag272Jag272
    Mabinogi Rep: 630
    TNinja wrote: »
    Fun fact: Mabinogi is not available on Steam for European.
    That's true; if the Nexon Launcher doesn't work for any European player, that's essentially it for them.
    You would hope this would get resolved, since Nexon NA and Nexon EU are merging to become Nexon Global, as has already happened with Vindy. Whether they actually bother updating steam to reflect that, only time will tell, but I certainly hope that if theyre updating the launcher, they'll get round to adding it to EU steam too.

That or they pull a Uplay and update steam to just open the Nexon Launcher for 2 layers of DRM, which would be fun for all.
  • PlatinaKokiPlatinaKoki
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,760
    Jag272 wrote: »
    TNinja wrote: »
    Fun fact: Mabinogi is not available on Steam for European.
    That's true; if the Nexon Launcher doesn't work for any European player, that's essentially it for them.
    You would hope this would get resolved, since Nexon NA and Nexon EU are merging to become Nexon Global, as has already happened with Vindy. Whether they actually bother updating steam to reflect that, only time will tell, but I certainly hope that if theyre updating the launcher, they'll get round to adding it to EU steam too.

That or they pull a Uplay and update steam to just open the Nexon Launcher for 2 layers of DRM, which would be fun for all.

Oh? Vindi NA and EU have fused? When did this happen?
  • AquasolAquasol
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,465
    Member, Volunteer Forum Moderator

It was announced last year, though the completed merger game-wise happened just a few weeks ago.
  • Jag272Jag272
    Aquasol wrote: »

It was announced last year, though the completed merger game-wise happened just a few weeks ago.

Ye it officially happened 16th Feb and prior to the delays (it was originally announced for like october last year and got delayed) they were referring to "Nexon Global" frequently, indeed some of the GMs over there were asked by users what happens to their jobs etc and responded that some of them had no place in Global. So it would seem that gradually Nexon NA and EU are going to become Global, though based on prior delays, general quietness on the topic etc I imagine its a long and complicated process.

But ye Vindictus officially merged recently, and I believe some other EU games are on the merging list too. Theres an official FAQ here mentioning maplestory, vindictus, war rock and combat arms as being on the merging list.
  • djnikodjniko
    Mabinogi Rep: 200
    Dunno where to post this since it isnt technically a technical support thing and just a question but.

Since nexon is for some whatever reason stopping that, what will steam do? Will it just launch the new nexon game starter?
    I never liked the new nexon launcher so Ive just stuck with what Ive always done for the past 6 years, which is the direct launch. Much more faster to start up and the newer launcher thing that nexon has doesnt seem to agree with my newly built computer as well.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    edited March 9, 2017
    It is not going to effect steam launch. You just won't be able to launch the executable directly. Supposedly that also means through the steam files. I am definitely going to test that though after the 16th.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Mabinogi

I mean are they going to try and hide the file? -shrugs-
    Helsa
  • djnikodjniko
    Mabinogi Rep: 200
    Gaea steam uses the direct launch feature to start it up. Which is why I had the question.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    djniko wrote: »
    Gaea steam uses the direct launch feature to start it up. Which is why I had the question.

Tbh they haven't really responded to us about the steam launch. We all just assume that steam will still work. I mean why would they sever their ties to Steam which provides this game a little more exposure? :|
    Helsa
  • Jag272Jag272
    Gaea wrote: »

Tbh they haven't really responded to us about the steam launch. We all just assume that steam will still work. I mean why would they sever their ties to Steam which provides this game a little more exposure? :|
    They could pull a Ubisoft with Uplay and just have steam boot the Nexon launcher which then boots the game, though i really hope not lol
    Brightheart
  • XiokunXiokun
    Mabinogi Rep: 11,100

They could pull a Ubisoft with Uplay and just have steam boot the Nexon launcher which then boots the game, though i really hope not lol

Don't even say it. Here's some wood to knock on.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Xiokun wrote: »

Don't even say it. Here's some wood to knock on.

I think this is going to break it.
    Helsa
  • MediaKleptoMediaKlepto
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,865

Even through contacting customer support - who should have been handed the necessary answers so they could at least get a handle one what's bound to be irrate customers - the sum extent of the answer I got about Steam launching after the update was "we have no information" via a ticket and "we don't know" via a chat.

My main concern was the same as djniko's, as Steam runs the game via the direct launch method, as a platform not a launcher. Unless the two different direct launchers ARE in fact actually built differently (which very well could be the case), it's entirely possible that they're severing Steam launching as well, and pitching the game into an even more steep downward spiral of non-exposure and poor decisions. I'm hoping this isn't the case, as are many of my friends and others on this post alone.
  • NegumikoNegumiko
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,765

Even through contacting customer support - who should have been handed the necessary answers so they could at least get a handle one what's bound to be irrate customers - the sum extent of the answer I got about Steam launching after the update was "we have no information" via a ticket and "we don't know" via a chat.

My main concern was the same as djniko's, as Steam runs the game via the direct launch method, as a platform not a launcher. Unless the two different direct launchers ARE in fact actually built differently (which very well could be the case), it's entirely possible that they're severing Steam launching as well, and pitching the game into an even more steep downward spiral of non-exposure and poor decisions. I'm hoping this isn't the case, as are many of my friends and others on this post alone.

it is still unknown if the steam launcher will effected or not but I downloaded mabi on nexon launcher just in case and checked both mabi folders. the steam version has a nxsteam file which reads as Nexon Steam Launcher in the description. not sure if that means the steam version launches slightly differently or not but I thought it was something worth pointing out. keeping up the steam version gives the game more advertising so it would be pointless to take it down. hopefully steam mabi will still work after this.

• SenjiSenji
    Mabinogi Rep: 720
    edited March 10, 2017
    mmmmm.........bloatware makes my moon itch...

instead of improving the game performance ..... you want us to install a bloatware that contains other games that " User " Don't NEED in it

Mabi Launcher Vs MabiMapleCombatus Launcher ..... wait ... unnecessary nexon ads. in background included.

oh the hope of wasteful spending on this little nexon project launcher of battle harden players gone to waste............better call it the

"""" FURGUS LAUNCHER """"

and -removed-.....had to refresh this nexon forum 4-5 times to get my Login to work and Post to go thru............should really work consider working on that first.

• IscaroitIscaroit
    Mabinogi Rep: 890
    Oh, the irony is deep with this one. Days after the announcment of the removal of direct launch the Nexon launcher bugs out with network errors and code 20010, and launching the game through the .exe works just fine. 'Ey, Nexon, Nexon my boys. How about, right? How about you don't do that instead.
    Shaeli
  • Crossx2Crossx2
    Mabinogi Rep: 990
    This really does show that it is a reliable alternative to the mainstream ways of getting into the game. I wish they'd consider leaving it be, so that we can continue to use it for occasions like this.
    badnewsbarrettLadameNegumikoLiberate
  • KiirionKiirion
    Mabinogi Rep: 825
    i actually like the launcher..? well, sometimes, unless my laptop messes up with me approving to launch games [and then the launcher says the product is in use but it isnt and then i have to restart which is a hassle] but its really nice? i like being logged into my games and only needing to put in the secondary password,,, i dont see why people are so salty about it ; - ;
  • AigisAigis
    Mabinogi Rep: 940
    edited March 12, 2017
    I refuse. I completely refuse to keep adding more and more programs to my computer just to play a game I was able to play just fine before. Just as I absolutely refuse to get a phone just so I can use their garbage apps, I refuse to switch to your garbage launcher so I can play my asphyxiating game. And let me add that I will make my OWN patch service and launcher by rooting it off of yours if you remove steam. I'm so sick of you doing this. So, SO sick of you doing this nexon. Don't ask me to download a program so I can run a program that is more than capable of running on its own without the bloatware. Don't be surprised when you lose another 30% or more of your playerbase for this. You're crossing the line.
    Brightheart
  • Neagan777Neagan777
    Mabinogi Rep: 770
    Nexon yet again another dumb move. :/