Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Wont happen but NA needs an independent fork

ArchmagickArchmagick
Mabinogi Rep: 745
in General Chat
What I mean is, an independent dev team, made up of domestic developers, answerable and accountable to NA version players and developed and managed for NA needs.

That would go a long way towards helping the game.
iMattxCcourtneyyDarkpixie99PannyaDrognakSherriPeloiHazurahGakkuriaquakapapa

Comments

• Clovis15Clovis15
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,780
    I'd love that, but I sadly don't think our community is big enough to warrant it. Japan has one, but they have a lot more players on their servers.
  • ArchdukeValeCortezArchdukeValeCortez
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,380
    In a game that is divided like Mabi in more things than just localization, having a NA dev team would be great. It's needed. The NA devs could still take marching orders from KR, but now all the NA devs do is nod their heads yes and not give any meaningful answers to questions they are asked.

Why is the NA server lacking so many things that the KR version has? Why? There is no good reason anyone can give me to explain this arbitrary difference. Localization you say. We have to translate it to English. It's not that hard to localize. It really isn't. Now what other possible reason is there? Why is the VIP service behind the KR version? Why keep separate versions of the game? Why?! Wouldn't it be easier to keep 1 version which would mean you have the ENTIRE PLAYER BASE united and could bug test that version. Not that companies do a lot of bug fixing since there isn't money in that. Nope, got to have those gamble boxes, which I will admit I am guilty of using. But with the millions made off of the gamble boxes, surely they could at least have more than a skeleton lip service dev staff for NA.
    badnewsbarrettpawcalypseiMattxCoffwithyourheadscourtneyyDarkpixie99DrognakSherriTairiku
  • pawcalypsepawcalypse
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,705
    edited October 11, 2017
    I think the demographic in NA is too small to be focused on by Nexon. If there was a poll in the Nexon headquarters to see if there needs to be a division for NA, it may seem unlikely.
    It maybe that there is a lack of corporate interest to give any attention to NA. It could also be cheaper if they just focused on locality; the KR, CN, TW, and JP base. It might be safer to stick somewhere close by in case the foreign base of the company goes bad, which is the tendency of most companies - unless they out source them.
    One thing for sure is that the internet in Asia is better than it is in the US.
  • ArchmagickArchmagick
    The idea would be modeled off how Ragnarok Online works, where every region (for better or worse) is run by its own dev team and can implement its own content with not much oversight. Again it's a "for better or worse" thing but with the right standards it can lean towards "better".
  • SiodhanSiodhan
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,825
    I don't care much for regional content. I actually want the content to be as uniform as possible. Less effort on their side, less complicated bugfixing as well. That said, I would appreciate if nexon KR wasn't so stupidly blind in regards to their implementation of new content, knowing full well that their content is about the only one the other regions are going to get. Droprates of squire materials for much, much smaller servers being the same, no regard for latency problems (especially for people who don't live right next to the server) when implementing skills or entire skillsets, dan tests, etc. For instance, the urgent shot training requirement is basically impossible for europeans even with denagling, MTU modification, etc. (things that should be taken care of for us like in any proper game, really, but aren't). It's still possible torank the skill, but much much slower.

They need to be on top of stuff like that. Like, for instance maybe adjust archery and gun damage with a formula that accounts for ridiculous latency, so that on average (while still missing vital knockbacks) you at least deal roughly the same damage or something. I'm sure there are plenty of ways to fix some stuff in this game, but there's just a massive oversight because KR themselves don't need it.
  • RheyRhey
    Mabinogi Rep: 10,175
    Sure. We can set up Festia into a Vegas joint with our own Blackjacks/Pokers and strippers outlets/Stage. Then start a collab with hollywoodz 4 some sweet exclusive events. I'd be down with a LOTRxMabi event set in Iria for starters.

frodobagginscheerhobbiShub.gif
    offwithyourheadsClovis15Hazurah
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,175
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    Assuming anyone here (or in Japan) should have a say so is like, assuming some random person should have control over our own lives. No one should have the right to "govern over" devCAT's development decisions for their own game. The likeliness of either scenario is pretty darn low.
    If you are serious enough to push this into a question arena (and can speak fluent Korean); you should ask those who actually have the decision making authority (for stuff like this), or visit the company page to learn more about who owns what. If you can't login to either page, you won't get anywhere. Now, if you'll pardon me, I have to attend a meeting to determine who gets to brush your teeth (not my own), tie your shoes (not my own), and drive your car (not my own). I know my sarcasm might seem unusual (and perhaps a bit crass), but it's really no different than the request you're making in this thread. ~ The only "independent developers" I am aware of in Japan (and the USA) are illegal private servers. :smirk:

Needs more sarcasm, it doesn't have enough.

Damn wish I could login there. O_o
    [Deleted User]
  • HazurahHazurah
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,570
    it has been awhile (probably long long long time ago) since the last time NA get something for themself
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,660
    edited October 14, 2017
    Unfortunately, the only ones in NA with enough influence to communicate their will how much the community wants new stuff with KR would be the community manager...which we still don't see. Other than that, I'm pretty sure the lack of employees at Nexon NA who can fluently read or speak Korean literally kills the collaboration between branches, because that's just how lazy Nexon has always been.

"The content will be localized when we get it, we still haven't gotten that, and we don't know."
    Every excuse an NA employee has to give, simply because they don't have the tools, resources, or training from the KR branch.
    They probably just get standard Nexon NA training: "Here's your position, what you'll be doing, don't answer questions on the forums, but read some feedback."
    There's literally nothing our devs can do but sketch new things on paper and mail them to KR, hoping someone can read English...or decipher the madness of caged imagination.
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    edited October 14, 2017
    For this to happen; devCAT (in South Korea) would have to approve of it, because they own the game. Nexon North America has "Publishing Rights", but they don't "own" the game or have the "right" to open an "independent fork" ~ No matter how sweetly worded a thread from their users might be (even if it got 100,000 likes); that's not how licensing works.

Unfortunately, the only thing that SK would understand is that if they give a bit of development leniency to NA, then they could make a profit.
    Seeing as how we don't know if anyone at Nexon NA has expressed this, and Mabinogi shows the obvious results of a dwindling and aging community... it's safe to say that the company itself has made little to no strides in improvement. The relations are and always have been strained, and KR is viewed negatively by the community no matter which forum lurker tries to defend either side.
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    edited October 14, 2017
    Unfortunately, the only thing that SK would understand is that if they give a bit of development leniency to NA, then they could make a profit.
    Seeing as how we don't know if anyone at Nexon NA has expressed this, and Mabinogi shows the obvious results of a dwindling and aging community... it's safe to say that the company itself has made little to no strides in improvement. The relations are and always have been strained, and KR is viewed negatively by the community no matter which forum lurker tries to defend either side.
    None of that matters if KR says no, and I seriously doubt they'd say yes or even consider thinking about it for longer than a second (maybe long enough to lose the thought in the first place). A license to publish is literally that, a license to publish. (it's not a license to freely fork the project and build our own game). That literally means, if devCAT got sick and bloody tired, they could revoke said license and we could all pound salt up our rear-end (not saying that'll happen, just that it's in the realm of possibility). :smirk:

It still doesn't matter either way if we don't have a community manager who can tell us about what they discussed with the KR community manager, as there have been cases where other companies are fine with NA developing new costumes or suggesting new content.
    I honestly have no idea what Nexon's issue is other than incompetence due to lack of communication.
    In all honesty, Nexon KR seems just fine working together with the Baskin Robins KR branches just to pump up publicity and get the Mabinogi community to go outside and eat ice cream. There's not much that could hurt them from letting NA advertise or do tie ups on it's own, given the okay.
  • MontjulentMontjulent
    Mabinogi Rep: 665
    Considering how poorly SK already handles the game, I shudder to think at the destruction NA would have on it.
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    So many formal, legal, and business costs for this to happen... it wouldn't be worth their time.
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,715
    Ah, something we need but will never get. Mabinogi NA needs a massive update and fix but I doubt it will never happen.
    Sherri wrote: »
    Ah, something we need but will never get. Mabinogi NA needs a massive update and fix but I doubt it will never happen.

Double negative found.
    It's a lot of work for it to happen and not worth their time in the end.
    VeylaineSherriTairiku
  • ArchmagickArchmagick
    Depends - you could easily get another 10 years out of Mabi in NA if you do an overhaul, Ultima Online just turned 20 and there are older MMOs than that. Youd' probably make back the upfront cost within a year or two and KR/JP make money hand over fist.
    The game will be fine and running as long as Nexon's stock doesn't fall drastically or they get mixed up in some huge scandal.