Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Multi-clienters ruining/abusing events

FroglordFroglord
Mabinogi Rep: 7,020
edited March 31, 2018 in General Chat
Ever since the release of the Chain Blade instant prize events, people have been making hundreds of alternate accounts to absorb prizes from events. Prizes include all of the 1st and 2nd place Festia instant prize rewards from both the Coin and Gold draws such as wings, gold prizes, and other good items. Other events include hot-days with trade enabled items that ensure maximized rewards such as enchant potions, rebirth potions, forgetful potions, among other premium items.

These players are amassing hundreds alternate accounts just for these events, but nothing is done about them at all. These events are becoming a hand-out to the players who are always cheating to get to the top, and they profit off of every bit of it.

In the past, with the Hamlet delegation event, these players were dealt with, and banned for abusing these events along with all of their alternate accounts, but this time they're getting off free without any form of sanction.

Please do something about this.
Greta[Deleted User]KageitoTwelieIyasenuRheySparkleFairyMangoFishSherriBrawlynBuffalosand 6 others.

Comments

• Gaby5011Gaby5011
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,965
    edited March 31, 2018
    Simple solution, make event items untradable. I really wouldn't mind actually.
    MaiaGembipawcalypseAlchemistjkKrissyPootelImaizumiSherri
  • THICCthighssavelivesTHICCthighssavelives
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,855
    I wouldn't mind untradable rewards either. Then I could drop it rather than hoard for later resale. It would be a relief.
    MaiaBlissfulkillpawcalypseTairikuImaizumi
  • RheyRhey
    Mabinogi Rep: 10,175
    I'll admit it was quite amusing that the festia tier 1 jackpot was capped a few hrs after it went live for week 4 on Mari. Most likely alts used 2 hoard coins were by seasoned players who planned the odds in their favors than sum lucky newb or casual player winning it by sheer chance. I'd like to see a publishing of who won the tier 1 jackpots just to have an idea if its by an alt or a legit main. :s
    SparkleFairyMangoFishJazmynoffwithyourheadsSherri
  • FayeKaibaFayeKaiba
    Mabinogi Rep: 10,670
    edited April 1, 2018
    I would completely hate to have event items untradeable because me and my fiancee share everything. If we get items we don't want, we give them to eachother/sell them/ give them to friends. Making event items untradeable ruins the idea of doing events with loved ones/friends.
    RheySparkleFairyMangoFishJazmynTwelieSphyra21KaiwythJayy124offwithyourheadsTsumikkiFinityand 3 others.
  • FroglordFroglord
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,020
    edited April 1, 2018
    FayeKaiba wrote: »
    I would completely hate to have event items untradeable because me and my fiancee share everything. If we get items we don't want, we give them to eachother/sell them/ give them to friends. Making event items untradeable ruins the idea of doing events with loved ones/friends.

When something is abused and exploited on a huge scale, it has to be fixed. As unfortunate as it is, these players will continue to abuse these events regardless until something is done about it, essentially ruining for everyone anyways.
  • IyasenuIyasenu
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,265
    Oh, the Hamlet Delegation Event...

Was so badly abused, they ended the event early.
    That was super lame.

I agree, something's gotta change.
    Multi-accounters have a clear advantage over players who only have one account, especially if those multi-accounters are also multi-clienters.
    And this is not just with event rewards, either.
  • QuickRantQuickRant
    Mabinogi Rep: 230
    Multi-clienting is rampant on ruairi, so much so that there's at least two guilds with nothing but alts for events. There was specifically a person with about 10+ alts that had the same name grouped up by the gotya area and I believe they actually ended up banning them? So much good it did when the person just created or ended up using other alts and spreading them in different channels. It sucks seeing people blatantly abuse it with no regard for consequences and they don't even try to hide it. It makes other people think they can do so as well which makes it even more widespread. The same people multi clienting are usually real world traders as well, so they end up making real money off the events. It would help if they actually warned the player themselves once or twice before banning them completely, instead of just a ban for the alts and not the person's main. That doesn't really help. It's a cycle that will never end unless nexon does something about it.

Irrelevant to the thread but I would bet that there isn't even 10,000 ACTUAL players in this game even at peak hours. Have to boost up player count somehow right?
    JazmynVaughanAlchemistjk
  • PanPan
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,165
    edited April 1, 2018
    Account creation should require SSN.
    MIIUTHICCthighssavelives
  • LidrsterLidrster
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,830
    Pan wrote: »
    Account creation should require SSN.

Should I remind you that there are non American players too ?
    WolfandWolfRheySparkleFairyMangoFish[Deleted User]MizukiHayamaJazmynCarlizeJiantoSherriTwelieand 10 others.
  • RheyRhey
    Mabinogi Rep: 10,175
    FayeKaiba wrote: »

Especially if U miss an event. It's great 2 be able to grab the extra leftovers from other peeps. If we're gunna impose more restrictions I'd say make it more progress related liek talent/TTL/CL...etc.
    SparkleFairyMangoFish
  • MaiaMaia
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,195
    Untradable prizes would probably be best. Honestly the best prizes I've won are probably untradable ones anyway lol
    [Deleted User]GretaRadiant DawnSherri
  • AshersAshers
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,170
    When I was doing seal quests I used my other characters labeled like Ashbank(then a number) I think they need have safties in place for stuff like that. Other than that I agree the bots need to STOP. I dont agree with things being untradable though, me and my real brother both play and love to help each other out!
    [Deleted User]
  • FalmostaFalmosta
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,590
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    Unless you want Nexon to limit us to one connection per household; this will never change.

Sadly, that would not fix anything because some households have more then one actual person that play the game at the same time.
    [Deleted User]
  • IyasenuIyasenu
    While I can't say it doesn't bother me to see "Player001", "Player002", "Player003", "Player004", "Player005", and "Player006" all doing something together; I do understand it's not all being done on a single machine. ~ Unless you want Nexon to limit us to one connection per household; this will never change.

Amassing alts for events isn't new either. It's been happening since the game was first released, and they have taken steps to curb it, but those steps almost always lead to other problems (innocent people being banned for suspicion of things they were not guilty of). Too many holes.

What do you mean by this?
    Maybe sometimes multiple machines are involved.
    But not always.

This isn't an example I've seen from NA Mabi, but I've seen some videos of KR Mabi where a player had multiple windows of Mabi open, and was "soloing" Phantasm with 3 other dummy alts.
    Then, when he finished Phantasm, he just clicked the taskbar at the bottom to switch to the other instances of Mabi to make his alts drop their keys and take all the rewards for his main.
    If you could just click into different windows from the taskbar, doesn't that mean it's one machine?

Can't imagine the computer specs to be able to run 4 separate instances of Mabi while still being able to solo Phantasm...
    And the connection to be able to react while having 4 simultaneous connections.

Well, regardless, that's probably the most aggravating use of alts, to me.
    Running dummies through content to boost rewards well beyond what any other solo player could be getting.

Sort of the same principal with running multiple accounts through events.

Other than boosting the "must be total level XXX to participate" thing to higher levels, which risks alienating newbies (though not that much, given how quickly a sub-1000 account can level), just a better investigative presence could help.

Actual GMs in-game moderating.

Hey, a ban list like MapleStory has could be neat.
    If only to show that something's happening.
    [Deleted User]SherriYangKoete
  • IyasenuIyasenu
    Iyasenu wrote: »
    While I can't say it doesn't bother me to see "Player001", "Player002", "Player003", "Player004", "Player005", and "Player006" all doing something together; I do understand it's not all being done on a single machine. ~ Unless you want Nexon to limit us to one connection per household; this will never change.

Amassing alts for events isn't new either. It's been happening since the game was first released, and they have taken steps to curb it, but those steps almost always lead to other problems (innocent people being banned for suspicion of things they were not guilty of). Too many holes.

But not always.

This isn't an example I've seen from NA Mabi, but I've seen some videos of KR Mabi where a player had multiple windows of Mabi open, and was "soloing" Phantasm with 3 other dummy alts.
    Then, when he finished Phantasm, he just clicked the taskbar at the bottom to switch to the other instances of Mabi to make his alts drop their keys and take all the rewards for his main.
    If you could just click into different windows from the taskbar, doesn't that mean it's one machine?

Can't imagine the computer specs to be able to run 4 separate instances of Mabi while still being able to solo Phantasm...

Running dummies through content to boost rewards well beyond what any other solo player could be getting.

Other than boosting the "must be total level XXX to participate" thing to higher levels, which risks alienating newbies (though not that much, given how quickly a sub-1000 account can level), just a better investigative presence could help.

NGS - Nexon Guard - Hackshield - Black Cipher (Whatever they decide to call it this week) is there to prevent more than one client from being ran on the same machine. There are very few ways to bypass these measures, and when they are bypassed they are researched heavily and patched when a fix is found.

That being said, the vast majority of Multi-Client players are using more than one machine at the same location. In some cases, they may use as many as a hundred or more computers, each with their own IP address, at the same location (e.g. Chinese Gold Farmers [prisoners] forced to farm gold in games are a very real thing today). We can't assume this is the case for every brother and sister, mom and dad, uncle and aunt, who live at the same house and wish to play Mabinogi together.

Yeah, you're right not to assume that for every case.

Though you should still feel free to report someone playing Mabi with their friends and such with strangely similar or throwaway names, if something about it seems suspicious to you.

It's only a problem if the investigation from reports are faulty.

Sure, Eventchar01 through Eventchar07 could just be friends with a silly in-joke all running the same dungeon with their pal THEMAINMAN, who is decked out in cool equips, while the others wear 0 dura newbie wears and Robes.
    I mean, that's not out of the question, as hyperbolic as that sounds.

But ya'know... sometimes.
    But it really comes down to Nexon's end, what comes of this whole situation.
    Whether it continues (bleh), ends well (offenders punished), or ends badly (innocents banned).

Just more presence would be great.
    I don't even know if GMs are in-game outside of events, and insta-banning on sight without investigating would be bad, but... they could act like security guards.
    Ya'know like, the presence of them could deter stuff before it happens. In the sense that "you never know if there could be a GM right outside Taill's Altar, as you bring your menagerie of alts out of the mission you're solo-spamming".
    [Deleted User]TwelieHazurahSherri
  • WolfandWolfWolfandWolf
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,900
    Is there any reason why we should limit the top tier prizes? Yeah, I get it, The Hamlet Delegation event, I was there. But what's the worse that could happen? The servers become flooded with wings? I feel like that's already happened in a way XD. It would be one thing if they did that so that players would be forced to buy gacha, but things like the Scarlet Guardian Wings and the Festia wings aren't even being offered in current gacha. Scarlet wings haven't even been offered in gacha for a whole year now, in fact. So they aren't losing any money by having a lot of it in game. And there will always be new wings for them to sell in gacha. It's just that limiting these wings to "rare" and giving a false sense of exclusivity status seems to be what attracts people the most.

I don't know. Perhaps I'm just a little bummed out at the prizes taken, but....

Having limited top tier= Multi-clienters win and others lose\
    Having unlimited top tier= Multi-clienters win and others also win

....I think I just prefer one to the other. And it would be one of the easiest solutions without having to get into the nitty gritty of IP addresses (which can hurt families) or level/talent requirements (which I don't think I would mind, so long as it doesn't alienate new players too much. We definitely need new people. Maybe have under level 100K do G1, it would be irritating enough for a multi-clienter to have to navigate lolol. Oh, and you can't make a new char and get up to level 100 during the event; it has to be 100K previous to the event.)

• IyasenuIyasenu

But not always.

NGS - Nexon Guard - Hackshield - Black Cipher (Whatever they decide to call it this week) is there to prevent more than one client from being ran on the same machine. There are very few ways to bypass these measures, and when they are bypassed they are researched heavily and patched when a fix is found.

That being said, the vast majority of Multi-Client players are using more than one machine at the same location. In some cases, they may use as many as a hundred or more computers, each with their own IP address, at the same location (e.g. Chinese Gold Farmers [prisoners] forced to farm gold in games are a very real thing today). We can't assume this is the case for every brother and sister, mom and dad, uncle and aunt, who live at the same house and wish to play Mabinogi together.

Though you should still feel free to report someone playing Mabi with their friends and such with strangely similar or throwaway names, if something about it seems suspicious to you.

Sure, Eventchar01 through Eventchar07 could just be friends with a silly in-joke all running the same dungeon with their pal THEMAINMAN, who is decked out in cool equips, while the others wear 0 dura newbie wears and Robes.

Whether it continues (bleh), ends well (offenders punished), or ends badly (innocents banned).

I don't even know if GMs are in-game outside of events, and insta-banning on sight without investigating would be bad, but... they could act like security guards.
    Ya'know like, the presence of them could deter stuff before it happens. In the sense that "you never know if there could be a GM right outside Taill's Altar, as you bring your menagerie of alts out of the mission you're solo-spamming".
    .. or .. instead of turning Mabinogi into "a game of cat and mouse" (by putting Guard GMs at different dungeons)... ; maybe instead it would be better to give these people a way to access these dungeons without a need for alts. -- Just a thought.

What, like make 'Alby Advanced Hardmode" passes bring up a window similar to using Unrestricted Passes where you can choose "1 Player ~ 4 Player" versions?
    I mean, I don't think the majority of alt-carriers do it just to get into specific dungeons.
    I mean, I'm sure that it's just a happy coincidence that the version of AAHM that has 8 reward chests per dungeon requires 4 players, to the person who's running AAHM with three alts.
    But it's not like you need special party size requirements to enter, say, Phantasm.
    But that won't stop alt-runners from bringing their friends anyways.

I mean, changing the way to access dungeons like you suggested would have the side effect of being more convenient for everyone, especially non-alt-carriers, but it doesn't change anything for the alt-runners spamming for many times the endchest/completion rewards.
    [Deleted User]
  • IyasenuIyasenu

But not always.

.. or .. instead of turning Mabinogi into "a game of cat and mouse" (by putting Guard GMs at different dungeons)... ; maybe instead it would be better to give these people a way to access these dungeons without a need for alts. -- Just a thought.

What, like make 'Alby Advanced Hardmode" passes bring up a window similar to using Unrestricted Passes where you can choose "1 Player ~ 4 Player" versions?
    I mean, I don't think the majority of alt-carriers do it just to get into specific dungeons.
    I mean, I'm sure that it's just a happy coincidence that the version of AAHM that has 8 reward chests per dungeon requires 4 players, to the person who's running AAHM with three alts.
    But it's not like you need special party size requirements to enter, say, Phantasm.
    But that won't stop alt-runners from bringing their friends anyways.

I mean, changing the way to access dungeons like you suggested would have the side effect of being more convenient for everyone, especially non-alt-carriers, but it doesn't change anything for the alt-runners spamming for many times the endchest/completion rewards.
    Maybe they should do away with chests entirely, and 'auto-insert' dungeon prizes to our inventories (perhaps base them on participation factors and restrictions, like damage dealt and total level).

Heeey, there's a neato idea.

One can dream, eh?
    [Deleted User]
  • ArjuneArjune
    Mabinogi Rep: 16,890
    edited April 1, 2018
    idk why people are even surprised that the festia wings were gone within an hour.... most players (like me) had over 300 coins saved up to throw at that machine the instant the servers went up. and most payers (like me) walked away with something like 100 gift boxes and 70 prof hammers and 100-some full recovery pots. Obviously the 3 lucky people would eventually win the wings they had saved their coins 3 weeks for. You should not be surprised AT ALL that they were gone so fast, and you can't just make up some bullcrap about 'hundreds of alts' just because they were gone so fast. Hell, the gold prize festia wings are STILL at 0/2 in Mari so these hundreds of alts aren't trying very hard are they? :P Conspiracy Theory, much? I feel like I just read a thread by the Alex Jones of Mabinogi XD
    [Deleted User]VeylaineAnimemabiRadiant DawnSphyra21YukitoMeyPolicromaTairikuToonand 3 others.
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    I agree, something needs to be done about these cheaters. It's very unfair to everyone else.