Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Multi-clienters ruining/abusing events

Comments

• HellkaizerHellkaizer
    Mabinogi Rep: 11,305
    Carlize wrote: »
    If they want people to stop abusing the events they'd need to have harsher punishments when they're obviously modding or using third parties like this.

One thing I'd like to add to this, I wouldn't lump all those people together. While yes, some mods do break the game and allow for unfair advantages I'd say the average person uses them to reduce lag. You even see people streaming on twitch with mods enabled for textures to be removed/smoothed or the text to be fixed. It's a topic for a different thread but with some optimization (which they seem to be doing) much less people will bother with mods.

Now multibox/botting is different entirely. It's inherently a negative thing that plagues every online game. The speed some of the alts blow through event coins, or the sheer amount of them means it's not a dedicated person farming each of these accounts, it's someone writing a script and pushing play.
  • CarlizeCarlize
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,840
    @Hellkaizer yeah, I do definitely agree with that some people use it for optimization purposes, and while that should be considered a different situation, unfortunately though they're still listed as mods. I wasn't putting my personal opinion into that statement, if you look at what I said in context I was saying that was the only way they'd be stopping the alt armies that people have complained about. I also go on to say:
    So even more so than trying to regulate modders and multiclienters, I think they need to look at how lazy their forms of events have gotten.

So yeah I'm not trying to raise pitchforks against modders, I don't have a strong opinion on them either way. But this is the ultimatum that we'd be facing if people legitimately want the alt problem to entirely go away. It's the only logical fix Nexon would be able to implement, as it's unrealistic to think they'd be able to safely store either SSNs or phone numbers. No one should trust a company that 20 something year olds can easily get around their anti-modding software, especially when you consider huge companies like Equifax can't even keep their customers safe. We shouldn't have to risk our economic identity just to play a game.

While I'm posting anyway, I was wondering about what you said here @Yagirii

Yagirii wrote: »
    Friendly reminder that multi clienting is part of the KR base client and does not require mods. And like it was mentioned before in this post, multiple accounts is not against the ToS, and should not be.

I have never heard this before, but if this is the case then it's actually something that shouldn't be overlooked. If that's the case, people in NA not only have to go against a KR-population size RNG, but one that also accounts for people multiclienting. With that in mind it's no wonder some items literally never make it into the game. That means really people may have been banned here for things that would be completely acceptable in the game's home country. So either that needs to be addressed and there needs to be an official push for ways to multi client, or they need to fix the RNG to more appropriately reflect within NA's population.

• JazmynJazmyn
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,595
    edited April 8, 2018
    Hellkaizer wrote: »
    If they want people to stop abusing the events they'd need to have harsher punishments when they're obviously modding or using third parties like this.

One thing I'd like to add to this, I wouldn't lump all those people together. While yes, some mods do break the game and allow for unfair advantages I'd say the average person uses them to reduce lag. You even see people streaming on twitch with mods enabled for textures to be removed/smoothed or the text to be fixed. It's a topic for a different thread but with some optimization (which they seem to be doing) much less people will bother with mods.

Now multibox/botting is different entirely. It's inherently a negative thing that plagues every online game. The speed some of the alts blow through event coins, or the sheer amount of them means it's not a dedicated person farming each of these accounts, it's someone writing a script and pushing play.

Mods in general are against the TOS so even someone who uses them to "only" reduce lag is a huge unfair advantage for someone who is abiding by the TOS and not modding their game so they're dealing with more lag then someone breaking the TOS.
    GretaMirralChan
  • BronzebreakBronzebreak
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,940
    Opalthira wrote: »
    "In general, make it not worth the time, or make the items very easily accessible, or make them niche."

Thanks for agreeing that untradeable items are the way to go.

Oh man, how conceited.

I don't have an issue with making items untradeable, in fact in quite a few other posts I've stated the same thing would be the easiest answer, if not the most effective.

The issue that I think a lot of the people arguing against you are having is that you're discarding all their arguments and saying untradeable or bust, whilst they're trying to find middle ground. You've said that you're waiting for that perfect compromise to be suggested by someone else, but instead of trying to incorporate multiple facets of ideas together to eliminate the potential exploitative qualities of it, you're saying 'Nope, won't work, untradeable or gtho.'

I don't think you're trying to be arrogant, but that's what it feels like.
  • KouyioueKouyioue
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,030
    edited April 8, 2018
    Let's throw a wrench into this: Cheaters

Problem solved, much clearer word than modder, yay ! !

I guess arguments don't self correct to a more appropriate word anymore in 2018 and instead devolve into tedious philosophy battles about "what weight does modding carry"

Now people don't have to waste eachother's time clarifying everything four times per page and can just use the word cheaters instead! :D
    MirralChan
  • HellkaizerHellkaizer
    "In general, make it not worth the time, or make the items very easily accessible, or make them niche."

Thanks for agreeing that untradeable items are the way to go.

Oh man, how conceited.

I don't have an issue with making items untradeable, in fact in quite a few other posts I've stated the same thing would be the easiest answer, if not the most effective.

The issue that I think a lot of the people arguing against you are having is that you're discarding all their arguments and saying untradeable or bust, whilst they're trying to find middle ground. You've said that you're waiting for that perfect compromise to be suggested by someone else, but instead of trying to incorporate multiple facets of ideas together to eliminate the potential exploitative qualities of it, you're saying 'Nope, won't work, untradeable or gtho.'

I don't think you're trying to be arrogant, but that's what it feels like.

I got a very preachy vibe off that too. There's no way someone is opening even 20 clients on one computer, mabi is too poorly optimized for that.

As for a fix? I liked the cat bingo event, you couldn't easily farm that on alts that and making the top prizes untradable would discourage multi. I don't think the lower tier rewards should be locked (things like prof hammers, plat hammers etc) because newer players use those to get gold early on.

Also according to the prices advertised by the bots in game, those 300m wings are worth $480. A used i5 is under $100, and you can get a gt 710 gpu for ~$45. Making those untradable would heavily reduce the alt spamming as nothing else from it was even that valuable.

I just wish AFK events in general would die off, things like cat bingo, the star shard thing etc is nice. It rewards players who play more.
    MirralChan
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    What should be done is getting rid of these ridiculous RNG events and replacing them with events where only your main needs to do it OR making the items buyable within the shop.
    Remember how we had those events where you get a certain amount of coins and you chose what items you would buy out of the shop? Maybe go from that and expand upon it. (As in let people buy more than the usual one bag/outfit and a few boxes.)
    YangKoete
  • HellkaizerHellkaizer
    edited April 8, 2018
    Sherri wrote: »
    What should be done is getting rid of these ridiculous RNG events and replacing them with events where only your main needs to do it OR making the items buyable within the shop.
    Remember how we had those events where you get a certain amount of coins and you chose what items you would buy out of the shop? Maybe go from that and expand upon it. (As in let people buy more than the usual one bag/outfit and a few boxes.)

I hate the trend of the whole festia thing, and I feel like it might become the new regular. I still want more active events, with a cap maybe so people who don't have as much time can still play but tbh, I think cat bingo was one of my all time favourite events. aside from the really rigged rolls comparing bronze to gold orbs.
    MirralChan
  • RheyRhey
    Mabinogi Rep: 10,175
    I also think extra efforts should be rewarded via reward loops/spending points if the events last more than twice the time req to snag everything once. People will be 2 burn_out to go on creating other alts acc if they can keep staying on one acc and cont. investing efforts.
  • OpalthiraOpalthira
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,595

If they made more events like https://wiki.mabinogiworld.com/view/Cookie_Island_Event
    Im sure the community would be much more happier than with an rng only event basically.
    YangKoete
  • YangKoeteYangKoete
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,175

If they made more events like https://wiki.mabinogiworld.com/view/Cookie_Island_Event
    Im sure the community would be much more happier than with an rng only event basically.

This is why I LOVED events like Cookie Island/Tale of the Littlest Ghost; I felt like Mabinogi got an actively fun event that expanded on the world a bit! We got to meet characters who...ACTUALLY HAD CHARACTER! We got to learn their stories, we got a little part of them with us (Pets, equips, totems...), and it all felt unique!

Heck, I love the surprise I got at the end of the Cookie Island event! I GOT A PET! I moved from Tarlach to Alexina, deleted my horse and eagle. Was sad since I lacked a pet. My first true mountable pet (I bought a fox with NX earlier) was the S.S. Mint Chip that I call Sweet 'n Buttery.

No one knew about the pet/2nd title at the end, and people really only focused on the Waffle Witch outfit (Wish I still had mine...).

You could CHOOSE what to spend coins ya got from quests on. Want to save up for specific items? Sure! You can pay 25 coins for the item itself, Or you can spend 2 coins for a gift box that MAY have the item in it, but you can get it sooner, your pick!

Please bring these back. I don't care if it's a repeat every so often (Not annually, but every so often.). It'll give Nexon time to think up new story events while giving people a chance who missed said events to get the items. Want a Waffle Witch/Wizard outfit but don't want to shell out 40m gold? There's your chance!
  • ValenmirValenmir
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,385
    o.o im only skimming threw most of this since theres a lot.. But people are saying players who have alt accounts are basically cheaters.. Is it event against the rules to have those many accounts in the first place?
  • AgentJeanAgentJean
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,775
    Tayloreski wrote: »
    o.o im only skimming threw most of this since theres a lot.. But people are saying players who have alt accounts are basically cheaters.. Is it event against the rules to have those many accounts in the first place?

Having alternate characters is not the same thing as Running 10 instances of Mabi at the same time.
    Jazmyn
  • ValenmirValenmir
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,385
    AgentJean wrote: »
    Tayloreski wrote: »

Having alternate characters is not the same thing as Running 10 instances of Mabi at the same time.

Sorry, like i said i only skimmed threw it,